Happy things thread!

Topics that can go away
Raphael

Re: Happy things thread!

Post by Raphael »

Man in Space: May things continue to improve!
WeepingElf wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:56 am Just finished writing the raw version of my book, Rock the Future: Progressive Rock gestern - heute - morgen. Now it comes to proofreading and refining the text, then I'll try to find a publisher.
Good luck!
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Travis B. wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:14 am
Man in Space wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:30 amMy Crohn’s appears to be in remission!

On a related but tangential note, my fasting and prep are over and I can eat again.
Good to hear!
Raphael wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:18 pmMan in Space: May things continue to improve!
Thank you!
WeepingElf wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:56 amJust finished writing the raw version of my book, Rock the Future: Progressive Rock gestern - heute - morgen. Now it comes to proofreading and refining the text, then I'll try to find a publisher.
If I may quote you in response to this…
WeepingElf, on numerous occasions, wrote:ROCK'N'ROLL!
Please let us know when it's available for purchase!
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Raphael wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:18 pm Man in Space: May things continue to improve!
WeepingElf wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:56 am Just finished writing the raw version of my book, Rock the Future: Progressive Rock gestern - heute - morgen. Now it comes to proofreading and refining the text, then I'll try to find a publisher.
Good luck!
Thank you!
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
alice

Post by alice »

At long last - several *years* - my conlang vocabulary-management program, complete with reflex verification and other goodies, is finally usable! Now I can get back to actual conlanging, and you might see some substantial results in the not-too-distant future.
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

alice wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:39 am At long last - several *years* - my conlang vocabulary-management program, complete with reflex verification and other goodies, is finally usable!
Congratulations!
Now I can get back to actual conlanging, and you might see some substantial results in the not-too-distant future.
Unless you're now so used to working on software that you find it difficult to get back into the habit of actually using software for things. (When I've spent a lot of time configuring and fine-tuning my computer, I'm sometimes at a loss about coming up with stuff to do on it once I'm done with that.)
Ryusenshi

Post by Ryusenshi »

Oooh, this sounds interesting.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

alice wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:39 am At long last - several *years* - my conlang vocabulary-management program, complete with reflex verification and other goodies, is finally usable! Now I can get back to actual conlanging, and you might see some substantial results in the not-too-distant future.
Congrats!
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I finally got SPI and FAT32 with SDHC/SDXC cards working with zeptoforth on all my supported platforms (Raspberry Pi Pico, STM32F407 DISCOVERY, STM32F411 "Black Pill", STM32L476 DISCOVERY, and STM32F746 DISCOVERY), where before last night they were only working on the Raspberry Pi Pico. This will soon be in a new zeptoforth release.
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

alice wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:39 am At long last - several *years* - my conlang vocabulary-management program, complete with reflex verification and other goodies, is finally usable! Now I can get back to actual conlanging, and you might see some substantial results in the not-too-distant future.
Congratulations! Was this the reason why we did not hear anything about your conlangs since you took your web site down? Will we see a new and revised version of the Sunovian family anytime soon?
My conlang pages
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Ryusenshi wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:38 am
Oooh, this sounds interesting.
Thank you!
My conlang pages
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

May we try this software too?
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Travis B. wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:30 pm I finally got SPI and FAT32 with SDHC/SDXC cards working with zeptoforth on all my supported platforms (Raspberry Pi Pico, STM32F407 DISCOVERY, STM32F411 "Black Pill", STM32L476 DISCOVERY, and STM32F746 DISCOVERY), where before last night they were only working on the Raspberry Pi Pico. This will soon be in a new zeptoforth release.
And zeptoforth 0.56.0 is out!
alice

Post by alice »

WeepingElf wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:39 pmCongratulations! Was this the reason why we did not hear anything about your conlangs since you took your web site down?
A large part of the reason. It's very difficult to keep several sets of descendent vocabulary consistent with your sound-changes when you keep changing your mind. The alternative is to embrace the chaos, like Tolkien did, but that way lies madness.
WeepingElf wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:39 pmWill we see a new and revised version of the Sunovian family anytime soon?
Not soon, but maybe in the medium term. I have to get Dekuvren out of the way first.
bradrn wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:13 pmMay we try this software too?
Hahaha! It's *very* idiosyncratic to my personal needs, so I wouldn't recommend it.
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

alice wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:36 am
Hahaha! It's *very* idiosyncratic to my personal needs, so I wouldn't recommend it.
Even so, I’d at least like to see what it can do!

WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

WeepingElf wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:39 pmCongratulations! Was this the reason why we did not hear anything about your conlangs since you took your web site down?
A large part of the reason. It's very difficult to keep several sets of descendent vocabulary consistent with your sound-changes when you keep changing your mind. The alternative is to embrace the chaos, like Tolkien did, but that way lies madness.
Yes. Recently, I fouled up my list of Proto-Hesperic roots when I attempted to adapt it to the new phonology. Now I have to do it all over.
My conlang pages
alice

Post by alice »

Not so happy is that the word for "dwarf" comes out the same as the word for "mountain" in Dekuvren, which is funny on at least two levels but annoying nonetheless.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

alice wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:03 am Not so happy is that the word for "dwarf" comes out the same as the word for "mountain" in Dekuvren, which is funny on at least two levels but annoying nonetheless.
Hey, in a lot of more-or-less Tolkienesque fantasy, dwarfs are stereotyped as people who live in the mountains...

(I just discovered that my spellcheck actually knows the word "Tolkienesque". I wouldn't have predicted that.)
alice

Post by alice »

bradrn wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:47 am
FWIW, you can define hierarchies of languages, each with its own set of syntactic categories (parts of speech), lexical roots, and sound changes, generate reflexes in daughter languages, and flag discrepancies when you change your sound changes. And you can search, and tag words with related semantic meanings.

The backend isn't very complicated, aside from the GraphQL implementation, which is a pain in any language. Much of the hassle was in doing the UI, which took several iterations and at least two attempts to write my own GUI library (no, seriously). Even now there's doubtless plenty of room for improvement, BUT AT LEAST IT DOES ITS JOB AND I CAN GET BACK TO PROPER CONLANGING.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

alice wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:32 am

FWIW, you can define hierarchies of languages, each with its own set of syntactic categories (parts of speech), lexical roots, and sound changes, generate reflexes in daughter languages, and flag discrepancies when you change your sound changes. And you can search, and tag words with related semantic meanings.
Now I really want to see it!

Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

alice wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:32 am

The backend isn't very complicated, aside from the GraphQL implementation, which is a pain in any language. Much of the hassle was in doing the UI, which took several iterations and at least two attempts to write my own GUI library (no, seriously). Even now there's doubtless plenty of room for improvement, BUT AT LEAST IT DOES ITS JOB AND I CAN GET BACK TO PROPER CONLANGING.
That deserves congratulations!

That sounds very interesting! Congratulations, and good luck in finding a publisher!