Daily Creativity Thread

Topics that can go away
doctor shark

Re: Daily Creativity Thread

Post by doctor shark »

Moose-tache wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:01 am One of my non-conlanging projects is a fictional city in northern Lower Michigan called Dousman. Today they got a new flag:
And this is the old flag of Dousman that it replaced:
Most of the city's residents have expressed strong opposition to the change, with Friends of the Flag committees popping up in every neighborhood.
The old flag reminds me of the (admittedly quite hideous) Wisconsin flag:
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

The Wisconsin flag is quite hideous, isn't it? I was expecting the Dousman flag was inspired by hideous American state flags of that sort.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

If they decided to change the Wisconsin state flag I doubt anyone would care.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

These days, people care about pretty much any kind of bs, so Moose-tache's Friends of the Flag committees are perfectly plausible.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

I just want to remind everyone that the rasterization, stowaway white space, and compression artifacts are all official parts of the flag's design. The flag was created in 1989 to show off the city government's newest acquisition: a Commodore Amiga 500 that came with CorelDRAW version 1.02 pre-installed. The fact that CorelDRAW can handle vector graphics was apparently not fully understood at the time.

I do like the constant comparisons to Wisconsin, though. Keep those coming. Dousmanites hate that shit.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

I think I got overconfident after January's publication attempt went unexpectedly well. Tomorrow's is still being a bitch.
sphere.png
sphere.png (35.98 KiB) Viewed 7377 times
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

More banknote design. Yay, money.
More: show
Curious how much getting these properly printed would run...
More: show
Also, [fan opening noise]
aka vampireshark
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

Have you ever tried printing those notes and paying with them ;-)
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

hwhatting wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:22 pm Have you ever tried printing those notes and paying with them ;-)
I'd love to find a way to print them. Though maybe too pretty to spend. (Incidentally, though, I hear rumors about a competition for new Euro banknotes may be starting soon-ish, so...)
aka vampireshark
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

doctor shark wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:04 pm
hwhatting wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:22 pm Have you ever tried printing those notes and paying with them ;-)
I'd love to find a way to print them. Though maybe too pretty to spend. (Incidentally, though, I hear rumors about a competition for new Euro banknotes may be starting soon-ish, so...)
That's an idea! You could design real banknotes!
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Somewhat inspired by a discussion over at the Star Trek thread... and also as personal reference for fiction writing, a rough sketch of RV Coincidence, my own idea of what a starship would look like.

(The ship is about 175 meters long, with a crew of thirty. The habitat module is that tiny ring forward.)
Coincidence.jpg
Coincidence.jpg (34.95 KiB) Viewed 6631 times
Ryusenshi

Post by Ryusenshi »

I said I wanted to play tabletop RPGs again, but didn't have the time. Well, too bad. I'll make the time, if I need to.

I'm starting a campaign of Dungeons & Dragons, 3.5 edition, set in the Forgotten Realms, with me as the Game Master. I already have a few players. One of them doesn't speak French, so I may have to make a separate table in English. The game will use a Virtual Tabletop, though I haven't decided which one yet.

If one of you is interested in playing D&D, please PM me. Though if you live in America, the time zones may be a problem.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Ryusenshi wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:44 am I said I wanted to play tabletop RPGs again, but didn't have the time. Well, too bad. I'll make the time, if I need to.

I'm starting a campaign of Dungeons & Dragons, 3.5 edition, set in the Forgotten Realms, with me as the Game Master. I already have a few players. One of them doesn't speak French, so I may have to make a separate table in English. The game will use a Virtual Tabletop, though I haven't decided which one yet.

If one of you is interested in playing D&D, please PM me. Though if you live in America, the time zones may be a problem.
I'm not terribly familiar with 3.5e, do you happen to have any resources I could use to read up on it?
Ryusenshi

Post by Ryusenshi »

The core mechanics are available online, for example here:
https://www.d20srd.org/index.htm
Though it's based on reference documents, and as such, it's a bit dry. I will buy the Player's Handbook as a PDF and make it available to my players.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

I did end up finding that since, though I had had trouble trying to look it up before I asked. I probably don't speak French well enough to play Dungeons and Dragons in it, and might not be able to commit the time, but I do find it mechanically interesting so far, which is nice.
Ryusenshi

Post by Ryusenshi »

My plan is to run a tutorial session, with premade characters, before committing to a full campaign. You may be interested in that. As I said, I have one player who doesn't speak French, so I would make an English-speaking group, if you don't mind a GM who's a non-native speaker.
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

I wanted to play DND for my cruise with me as DM (we set sail tomorrow) but my father didn't have a book so the plan got cancelled (I thought i would have to buy a book originally though). I would be interested in playing a game in the asia pacific region (I won't bother intruding on your european-american game). Mainly i am also interested in coverting the rules to fit the Bindingverse setting but probably would have just used a generic setting on the cruise.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

Has anyone ever made a Fraktur version of futhark?

I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Creyeditor

Post by Creyeditor »

Damn, I had this idea floating around for some time now, for my conworld's Nazi/Prussia/Japan/Klingon-conculture. It looks very tidy.
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

That rocks.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages