Linguistic Miscellany Thread

Natural languages and linguistics
Zju

Re: Linguistic Miscellany Thread

Post by Zju »

I know I jest, but if future English has eɪ → i, it could as well happen that it spells /a i/ as <i a>.
/j/ <j>

Ɂaləɂahina asəkipaɂə ileku omkiroro salka.
Loɂ ɂerleku asəɂulŋusikraɂə seləɂahina əɂətlahɂun əiŋɂiɂŋa.
Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

That is an oddly plausible scenario.
anteallach

Post by anteallach »

Travis B. wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:43 pm
Moose-tache wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:27 pm Maybe it's not Travis, but I remember there's someone who enters every one of those "how do you pronounce..." threads with some nonsensical formula for a pharyngeal implosive or a sound that can only be made underwater. I just assume they're lying.
If you're alluding to my rhotic, there's nothing particularly strange about a pharngealized uvular approximant. It may not be typical for English, but it is what I have, and from listening to people here it isn't very unusual for here. I've only relatively recently taught myself to produce pure non-lateral alveolar and postalveolar approximants without at least some dorsal coarticulation, and they still don't always come out right (I find it hard to not make them at least a bit lateral).
I think it's just a bunched r, which is consistent with your claim that it's not unusual where you are and, while descriptions of bunched r are often pretty unclear, if it is then you're the only person I've ever seen who describes it as uvular. Dorsal, yes, but not uvular, and clearly something quite different from a French-style uvular approximant.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

anteallach wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:06 am I think it's just a bunched r, which is consistent with your claim that it's not unusual where you are and, while descriptions of bunched r are often pretty unclear, if it is then you're the only person I've ever seen who describes it as uvular. Dorsal, yes, but not uvular, and clearly something quite different from a French-style uvular approximant.
Nah - from reading into it further, "bunched /r/"s are supposed to be palatal, and this is certainly not palatal - except when it directly follows a coronal, where then it does have postalveolar coarticulation and is otherwise fronted somewhat, it is further back than my /k/. Note that it is not the same as the French uvular /r/ because that has a tendency to fricate and devoice, whereas what I have is almost a semivowel (particularly when syllabic, where there it is almost like [ɑ] but further back) and never devices, and what the dialect here has has significant pharyngealization (in fact, I have noticed that my mother and I sporadically have what is an almost purely pharyngeal allophone in certain environments, particularly word-finally after /ɑ ɔ/).
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

According to palmer "going to" is a better canidate for the english future than "will".
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

foxcatdog wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:45 pm According to palmer "going to" is a better canidate for the english future than "will".
Why, does he have the better policies? Attack ads? Ge-out-the-vote operation?
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

foxcatdog wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:45 pm According to palmer "going to" is a better canidate for the english future than "will".
Who is Palmer, and why does he have a special say in the matter? (In the English I am used to - and I don't mean my own dialect per se - going to is a prospective, not a future.)
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Travis B. wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:24 pm
Who is Palmer, and why does he have a special say in the matter? (In the English I am used to - and I don't mean my own dialect per se - going to is a prospective, not a future.)
Presumably Frank R. Palmer, the author of Mood and Modality (which I linked foxcatdog to a while ago).
They’re different categories, though. I’ve seen ‘going to’ labeled a ‘prospective’, since it expresses relative tense, not absolute tense, and doesn’t even assert that the event will take place — consider ‘I was going to have a muffin, but I changed my mind’.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

bradrn wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:28 pm They’re different categories, though. I’ve seen ‘going to’ labeled a ‘prospective’, since it expresses relative tense, not absolute tense, and doesn’t even assert that the event will take place — consider ‘I was going to have a muffin, but I changed my mind’.
Precisely - it is akin to the English "perfect", which is a retrospective.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Travis B. wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:52 pm
bradrn wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:28 pm They’re different categories, though. I’ve seen ‘going to’ labeled a ‘prospective’, since it expresses relative tense, not absolute tense, and doesn’t even assert that the event will take place — consider ‘I was going to have a muffin, but I changed my mind’.
Precisely - it is akin to the English "perfect", which is a retrospective.
Ah, didn’t notice you already mentioned the prospective.

Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I just discovered this entry (after coming across the word elsewhere). I just love the etymological and semantic development.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/jamoke
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Raphael wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:21 pm I just discovered this entry (after coming across the word elsewhere). I just love the etymological and semantic development.
I was previously unfamiliar with the "coffee" sense. I'm not convinced that's actual a semantic development, since "moke" already existed with a similar sense and "jamoke" could have developed from it by extension.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

In one of my less developed conlangs, consonant-final nouns require a lexically determined vowel before a case suffix. At the time I called this a ‘thematic vowel’, but now, having read a little more about PIE, I realise that term isn’t quite correct — PIE thematic vowels aren’t lexically determined, but regular given the form of the root. Are these kinds of vowels attested in natlangs, and if so, what do people usually call them, and how do they get analysed?

Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Latin and Romance! It's called a thematic or theme vowel. Of course, they are PIE thematic vowels but they are also lexically determined.

To the extent that they're called anything at all. I think it's used in Latin, but in French for instance we just talk about conjugation classes.
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

I think the word you are looking for is epenthetic vowel. A thematic vowel is a stem-final vowel that occurs throughout the paradigm (sometimes modulo ablaut), though the term has a narrower use in PIE linguistics (i- and u-stems are considered athematic, like consonant stems).
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Except it isn’t a thematic or epenthetic vowel in the usual sense, because those are regularly determined by the paradigm in question, whereas what I’m talking about is irregular and lexically specified by the root. (e.g. from that post, koist, koist-ɩ-zh, koist-ɩ-m vs hõkʼâdh, hõkʼâdh-ae-z, hõkʼâdh-ae-n — the vowel in the middle is determined by the root.)

On reflection, I guess I could just analyse it by saying that all roots are underlyingly vowel-final, and some suffixes delete a preceding vowel (cf. Jaqaru)… but that doesn’t explain why certain roots are always consonant-final when they don’t have a suffix. Another possibility is multiple stems, but that doesn’t work well either since not all roots participate in this alternation.

zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

bradrn wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:27 pm Except it isn’t a thematic or epenthetic vowel in the usual sense, because those are regularly determined by the paradigm in question, whereas what I’m talking about is irregular and lexically specified by the root. (e.g. from that post, koist, koist-ɩ-zh, koist-ɩ-m vs hõkʼâdh, hõkʼâdh-ae-z, hõkʼâdh-ae-n — the vowel in the middle is determined by the root.)
The term I use is stem vowel, which I think has less theoretical baggage than thematic vowel. It fits nicely into the same metaphor as "root". Though I guess we don't call the endings "leaves". :)
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

zompist wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:42 pm
bradrn wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:27 pm Except it isn’t a thematic or epenthetic vowel in the usual sense, because those are regularly determined by the paradigm in question, whereas what I’m talking about is irregular and lexically specified by the root. (e.g. from that post, koist, koist-ɩ-zh, koist-ɩ-m vs hõkʼâdh, hõkʼâdh-ae-z, hõkʼâdh-ae-n — the vowel in the middle is determined by the root.)
The term I use is stem vowel, which I think has less theoretical baggage than thematic vowel. It fits nicely into the same metaphor as "root".
That’s a good option, thanks! And ‘verbal stem’ is of course a well-established term already for the root + derivational-like affixes.

Creyeditor

Post by Creyeditor »

bradrn wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:47 am In one of my less developed conlangs, consonant-final nouns require a lexically determined vowel before a case suffix. At the time I called this a ‘thematic vowel’, but now, having read a little more about PIE, I realise that term isn’t quite correct — PIE thematic vowels aren’t lexically determined, but regular given the form of the root. Are these kinds of vowels attested in natlangs, and if so, what do people usually call them, and how do they get analysed?
I think this is roughly the way in which I heard the term theme vowel used in Romance and Baltic linguistics. As for the analysis, there is no concensus. Some say it's part of the root but has a specific morphological distribution, some say it's an affix that realizes certain morphological features that only come about if certain roots and affixes are combined. Yet other approaches assume that this is lexically/morpheme-specific phonology and the vowel is epenthetic. I don't think the difference is particulary relevant for conlanging purposes.
Zju

Post by Zju »

bradrn wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:47 amAre these kinds of vowels attested in natlangs, and if so, what do people usually call them, and how do they get analysed?
IIRC Estonian has something similar - cf. here. Though I'm not aware if those gen. sg. stem-final vowels are denoted by any special term.
/j/ <j>

Ɂaləɂahina asəkipaɂə ileku omkiroro salka.
Loɂ ɂerleku asəɂulŋusikraɂə seləɂahina əɂətlahɂun əiŋɂiɂŋa.
Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ.