English questions

Natural languages and linguistics
Darren

Re: English questions

Post by Darren »

Travis B. wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:15 pm One of the candidates for Supreme Court here in Wisconsin, Janet Protasiewicz, has her last name pronounced /ˌproʊtəˈseɪwɪts/ most commonly here. While the /wɪts/ pronunciation of -wicz is not unusual here - I knew someone from elementary school through high school who pronounced it in her name that very same way, what gets me is the pronunciation of -sie- as /seɪ/ - I would have expected /ʃɛ/ or /sɛ/ given the typical pronunciation of Polish names here. Any thoughts?
Even worse, there's an australian politican called Palaszczuk who calls herself /pæləʃeɪ̯/.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Darren wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:36 am Even worse, there's an australian politican called Palaszczuk who calls herself /pæləʃeɪ̯/.
Wut?
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
anteallach

Post by anteallach »

Travis B. wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:52 am
Darren wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:36 am Even worse, there's an australian politican called Palaszczuk who calls herself /pæləʃeɪ̯/.
Wut?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annastacia_Palaszczuk

This article says it's because her father was a teacher and the original pronunciation of his name was deemed to hard for the children in his school to say, so they came up with something "easier", though you'd have thought that they could find something which achieved that while having a less bizarre relationship between spelling and pronunciation.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

anteallach wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:05 pm
Travis B. wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:52 am
Wut?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annastacia_Palaszczuk

This article says it's because her father was a teacher and the original pronunciation of his name was deemed to hard for the children in his school to say, so they came up with something "easier", though you'd have thought that they could find something which achieved that while having a less bizarre relationship between spelling and pronunciation.
Still. Anglicizing Polish names isn't that hard. They could have just gone with something more sane like /ˈpæləˌʃʊk/, which is quite reasonable for an anglicization.
Zju

Post by Zju »

Has anyone noticed a realisation of /u/ as [ʉ]? Could this lead to u > y in the future?
/j/ <j>

Ɂaləɂahina asəkipaɂə ileku omkiroro salka.
Loɂ ɂerleku asəɂulŋusikraɂə seləɂahina əɂətlahɂun əiŋɂiɂŋa.
Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ.
Darren

Post by Darren »

Zju wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:54 pm Has anyone noticed a realisation of /u/ as [ʉ]? Could this lead to u > y in the future?
Yes to both. I have something like /əʉ̯/ for GOOSE which leaves room for /ʊː/ THOUGHT/NORTH/FORCE/CURE in the high back space. I've also got /ɵː/ for NURSE, so it's conceivable that future Australian English will have something like /əʉ̯ ɵː/ → /øy̯ øː/ and /ʊː/ → /uː/.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Zju wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:54 pm Has anyone noticed a realisation of /u/ as [ʉ]? Could this lead to u > y in the future?
I have [y] as an allophone of /u/ after a coronal or palatal and not before a dorsal (after a coronal or palatal and before a dorsal I have [yu]). Note that my default realization of /u/ is [u] though.

The same applies with /ʊ/ and [ʊ ʏ ʏʊ] and /oʊ/ and [o̞ ɵ̞ ɵ̞o̞] for me.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Yes, this is the case in my speech, and standard in Australian English in general. It’s a pretty common sound change in general.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

bradrn wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:44 am
Yes, this is the case in my speech, and standard in Australian English in general. It’s a pretty common sound change in general.
Can confirm i have this as well.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

What's the meaning and origin of the term "wag"? Not in the sense of the acronyms "WAGs" for "wifes and girlfriends", but in the sense of quotes like "some wag joked that [...]"?
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Raphael wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:21 am What's the meaning and origin of the term "wag"? Not in the sense of the acronyms "WAGs" for "wifes and girlfriends", but in the sense of quotes like "some wag joked that [...]"?
It can mean something like "jokester", though I haven't heard it in ages. I mostly associate it with this (rather morbid) sonnet. The etymology is apparently somewhat obscure, but it may descend either from the verb, or waghalter, apparently meaning "gallows-bird, one destined to hang".
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:37 am It can mean something like "jokester", though I haven't heard it in ages. I mostly associate it with this (rather morbid) sonnet. The etymology is apparently somewhat obscure, but it may descend either from the verb, or waghalter, apparently meaning "gallows-bird, one destined to hang".
Thank you! I keep coming across it in non-fiction books about all kinds of things.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

The terms "chin wag" and "tongue wag" may have something to do with it, but that's just a guess.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Why are some seemingly fairly different jobs all called "clerk"? Seems like the word can mean both a salesperson in a shop and a low-ranking office worker.
Creyeditor

Post by Creyeditor »

Maybe its similar in use to 'Angestellter'?
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Creyeditor wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:37 pm Maybe its similar in use to 'Angestellter'?
Yeah, that's possible.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

It apparently acquired a secondary meaning of person who can read and write, and came to be used for various office positions that required literacy, and broadened in scope from there.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Where, exactly, is the line between batter and dough? I used to think it's simply, "If it's for cake, it's batter, and if it's for bread, it's dough". But now I've got the impression that there are some cakes whose starting goo is called "dough" and not "batter", too.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Raphael wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:26 pm Where, exactly, is the line between batter and dough? I used to think it's simply, "If it's for cake, it's batter, and if it's for bread, it's dough". But now I've got the impression that there are some cakes whose starting goo is called "dough" and not "batter", too.
I’d say batter is liquid, and dough is mostly solid.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

bradrn wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:01 pm
Raphael wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:26 pm Where, exactly, is the line between batter and dough? I used to think it's simply, "If it's for cake, it's batter, and if it's for bread, it's dough". But now I've got the impression that there are some cakes whose starting goo is called "dough" and not "batter", too.
I’d say batter is liquid, and dough is mostly solid.
Then how do I know if a specific type of cake is made from batter or dough, if I've never baked it in my life, and haven't watched anyone else bake it, either?