Happy things thread!

Topics that can go away
bradrn

Re: Happy things thread!

Post by bradrn »

bradrn wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:15 pm My first paper got accepted for publication!
…and now it’s been published! Read it (or don’t, if you so choose) at https://doi.org/10.1364/OE.485647.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

bradrn wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:42 am
bradrn wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:15 pm My first paper got accepted for publication!
…and now it’s been published! Read it (or don’t, if you so choose) at https://doi.org/10.1364/OE.485647.
Oh, an applied topic from an earth science field? Great!
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

bradrn wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:42 am …and now it’s been published! Read it (or don’t, if you so choose) at https://doi.org/10.1364/OE.485647.
Congratulations!
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Congrats!
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Thanks all (again)!
Raphael wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:44 am
Oh, an applied topic from an earth science field? Great!
Nope, this is from the former Department of Physics, and the system only works in the lab at the moment… that being said, we’re in contact with the Marine Science people too.

Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Yesterday was a banner day on both personal and political levels.

Yesterday was the first day I've felt decent (not great, but not too sick to work) in three weeks. I even had enough energy to do a little cooking. (The laundry will have to wait a little longer though.) Today I'm actually at my desk again.

Locally, Chicagoans elected Brandon Johnson mayor. He's a true progressive and now that roughly a third of the City Council is progressive as well he may actually get some of his policies enacted. His inauguration is May 15th.

A bit further north, the abortion rights candidate for Wisconsin Supreme Court won decisively. This could potentially lead to a successful redistricting challenge that could help fix the egregious Republican gerrymandering there.

And, of course, Trump was arraigned (though learning that it'll probably be a year before the trial starts makes that less exciting than these other developments).
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Linguoboy wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:58 am A bit further north, the abortion rights candidate for Wisconsin Supreme Court won decisively. This could potentially lead to a successful redistricting challenge that could help fix the egregious Republican gerrymandering there.
This is the change that I have been really waiting for here in WI myself - in addition to the likely legalization of abortion, this may see the undoing of the Republican domination of the state legislature and the WI US congressional districts.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Happy Easter!
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Oh, congrats! Always nice to see when an article goes online. Not in my field, but I recognize quite a few things from what coworkers do/have done. (Your screen name also makes more sense now. :P)

Also, my article with students also went online quite recently. Publications all around!

In other things, I also had a great trip for a conference in Germany and vacation in Switzerland. Was nice to get away from things, even for a short while.
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

doctor shark wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:57 am Also, my article with students also went online quite recently. Publications all around!
Congratulations! Looks very interesting.

By the way, is the convention in your field to put the students last? The convention I’m familiar with (in both chemistry and physics) is to put the students first and the supervisors last.

doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

bradrn wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:57 pm
doctor shark wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:57 am Also, my article with students also went online quite recently. Publications all around!
Congratulations! Looks very interesting.

By the way, is the convention in your field to put the students last? The convention I’m familiar with (in both chemistry and physics) is to put the students first and the supervisors last.
Authorship can often be a complicated mess. My boss is actually the last author: I'm first author because I wrote the article and did about half the experiments. So I'm double-duty as both first author and a supervisor, with my students in the middle because they did about half the experiments (and not so much the writing), but it felt bad to leave them off since they gave me very usable data (and my boss was cool at first with the idea of having them be co-authors, but that's the advantage of writing the paper myself :P). The one student is in the second position because he did all the statistical analysis, so that was clearly far and above what the other two did and there was no question of him going in the second author slot. In contrast, with this new paper I'm writing from my one student's thesis, he will be the first author or shared first author with me (but he's going in the cosmetic first author position in the event of a co-authorship because he deserves it). The two overlords of the work, the professors, will be in the corresponding author positions and the last authors, while I, as a lowly postdoc, am not yet to the level of last author.

Ultimately, the author position is somewhat a parabola in my field: outer authors (first and last) are the most involved, while the middle authors are generally the least involved. But having a healthy mix of first-author and non-first-author papers is actually a good thing: the latter shows you can pretend to work well with others.
aka vampireshark
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

doctor shark wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:03 pm Ultimately, the author position is somewhat a parabola in my field: outer authors (first and last) are the most involved, while the middle authors are generally the least involved.
This is precisely the same convention I’m familiar with. For the paper I linked, I’m in a similar situation to your students: I didn’t do the writing or most of the simulations, but I did create the initial version of the simulation and participate in discussions all through the writing process. (And now that I’ve finished all my coursework, I’ve been able to work on the simulation again! Though obviously that’s far too late to make it into the paper.)

doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

bradrn wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:16 pm
doctor shark wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:03 pm Ultimately, the author position is somewhat a parabola in my field: outer authors (first and last) are the most involved, while the middle authors are generally the least involved.
This is precisely the same convention I’m familiar with. For the paper I linked, I’m in a similar situation to your students: I didn’t do the writing or most of the simulations, but I did create the initial version of the simulation and participate in discussions all through the writing process. (And now that I’ve finished all my coursework, I’ve been able to work on the simulation again! Though obviously that’s far too late to make it into the paper.)
That's for the follow-up, though, right? :P Also, the amount of headache involved in paper writing often is exponential with the number of authors, even if those other authors aren't directly involved in the paper writing as much as others. I'm currently transforming a student's thesis into a paper, and we have seven authors total... yeah, should be an adventure.

Happier thing: more and more things are flowering here in my part of the Netherlands, and not just the tulips. Where I live, cherry blossoms and magnolias are flowering quite nicely as well as the forsythia, and the rhododendrons should start flowering quite soon. Always a bit of a mood booster for me, even if the temperatures are fairly variable as of late.
aka vampireshark
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

doctor shark wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:58 pm
bradrn wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:16 pm
That's for the follow-up, though, right?
Eventually, maybe, but for the moment it’s for my Master’s thesis.

Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Today, I stage dove and crowd surfed for the first time in my life.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Man in Space wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:15 am Today, I stage dove and crowd surfed for the first time in my life.
Well, I'm glad that it made you happy! It would probably have freaked me out.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

BY SOME MIRACLE I GOT A WOMAN’S NUMBER TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Congratulations and good luck!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

My Mom's car passed the fit-for-the-road test! Since she absolutely needs the car to get around, and there's no way her, me, or anyone else in the family could have paid for massive repair, never mind a new car, that is very good news!
Torco

Post by Torco »

Man in Space wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:31 pm BY SOME MIRACLE I GOT A WOMAN’S NUMBER TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
fucking aye bro!
Raphael wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:52 am My Mom's car passed the fit-for-the-road test! Since she absolutely needs the car to get around, and there's no way her, me, or anyone else in the family could have paid for massive repair, never mind a new car, that is very good news!
i've been paying for a fixer to get the car to pass the inspection since about the time conflict began in the donbass inspections are important and it's good that the car passed it.

are car repairs very expensive where you live?