Conlang Random Thread

Conworlds and conlangs
Imralu

Re: Conlang Random Thread

Post by Imralu »

keenir wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 12:52 pm"The children built-3P the house." (it was built for the children)
vs
"The children built-1P the house." (it was built by the children)
What do 3 and 1 mean in your glosses. I don't see how 3rd and 1st person could make that semantic distinction, so I'm assuming it's something else.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = (non-)specific, A/ₐ = agent, E/ₑ = entity (person or thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS | ILIAQU
keenir

Post by keenir »

Imralu wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 6:38 pm
keenir wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 12:52 pm"The children built-3P the house." (it was built for the children)
vs
"The children built-1P the house." (it was built by the children)
What do 3 and 1 mean in your glosses. I don't see how 3rd and 1st person could make that semantic distinction, so I'm assuming it's something else.
No, I did mean 3rd Person and 1st Person gain that distinction in such a statement eventually,......after some it starts as denoting someone who gives the order for it to happen (but does not personally lay bricks or dig the moat) of "The king built-3P the palace" then expands to "The king built-3P the homeless shelter" or "He built-3P the temple" (if he is the god the temple is built for)
Imralu

Post by Imralu »

keenir wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 7:15 pmNo, I did mean 3rd Person and 1st Person gain that distinction in such a statement eventually,......after some it starts as denoting someone who gives the order for it to happen (but does not personally lay bricks or dig the moat) of "The king built-3P the palace" then expands to "The king built-3P the homeless shelter" or "He built-3P the temple" (if he is the god the temple is built for)
So the descendent of the 1P affix indicates the subject performing the action (subject does sth) and the descendent of the 3P affix indicates an unnamed agent (subject has sth done)?
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = (non-)specific, A/ₐ = agent, E/ₑ = entity (person or thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS | ILIAQU
keenir

Post by keenir »

if this is the wrong thread for this, please put it where it belongs, if thats doable; sorry.
Imralu wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 7:23 pm
keenir wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 7:15 pmNo, I did mean 3rd Person and 1st Person gain that distinction in such a statement eventually,......after some it starts as denoting someone who gives the order for it to happen (but does not personally lay bricks or dig the moat) of "The king built-3P the palace" then expands to "The king built-3P the homeless shelter" or "He built-3P the temple" (if he is the god the temple is built for)
So the descendent of the 1P affix indicates the subject performing the action (subject does sth) and the descendent of the 3P affix indicates an unnamed agent (subject has sth done)?
It can be, yes. I mean, if you say "The palace was built-3P" then sure.

My intent, at least, was that, outside of "the palace was built-3P", then such a descendent of the 3P affix would indicate that it has a named recipient or beneficiary (it is sth done for subject)

...the 1P affix can be more ambiguous (subject definately does sth -- though the sth may or may not be for the subject)

the king built-1P the palace.....the palace is definately for the king.

the king built-3P the palace.....the palace miiiiiiiiiight be for the king, or maybe the king had it built for his heir or his queen.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Elsewhere online I came across this: https://toaq.net/. I know we don’t discuss loglangs very much here, but this one looks particularly well-done and interesting. Don’t know enough formal semantics to properly assess it though.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

bradrn wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 2:06 am Elsewhere online I came across this: https://toaq.net/. I know we don’t discuss loglangs very much here, but this one looks particularly well-done and interesting. Don’t know enough formal semantics to properly assess it though.
Any consonant other than /ŋ/ can appear syllable-initially.
COWARDS!
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

I find a true velar nasal (as opposed to a prenasalised stop) rather difficult to articulate word-initially.
mocha

Post by mocha »

bradrn wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 2:06 am Elsewhere online I came across this: https://toaq.net/. I know we don’t discuss loglangs very much here, but this one looks particularly well-done and interesting. Don’t know enough formal semantics to properly assess it though.
This website is beautifully designed. I hope someday I can make my grammars look so good.
jal

Post by jal »

Moose-tache wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 6:45 pmCOWARDS!
CONWARDS!
Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 7:01 pmI find a true velar nasal (as opposed to a prenasalised stop) rather difficult to articulate word-initially.
I do not.

JAL
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 7:01 pm I find a true velar nasal (as opposed to a prenasalised stop) rather difficult to articulate word-initially.
Well, it's a matter of getting used to it.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Zju

Post by Zju »

Toaq (pronounced [tʰoaŋ]) is a constructed human language in which every sentence translates unambiguously into logic notation.
[...]
A loglang is a language which unambiguously bidirectionally encodes predicate-argument-structures such that any Phonological Form corresponds to exactly one Logical Form (i.e. every valid utterance has exactly one meaning) and every Logical Form corresponds to at least one Phonological Form (i.e. every meaning can be encoded in at least one phonological string).
Press X to doubt.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
/j/ <j>

Ɂaləɂahina asəkipaɂə ileku omkiroro salka.
Loɂ ɂerleku asəɂulŋusikraɂə seləɂahina əɂətlahɂun əiŋɂiɂŋa.
Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Zju wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 12:59 pm
Toaq (pronounced [tʰoaŋ]) is a constructed human language in which every sentence translates unambiguously into logic notation.
[...]
A loglang is a language which unambiguously bidirectionally encodes predicate-argument-structures such that any Phonological Form corresponds to exactly one Logical Form (i.e. every valid utterance has exactly one meaning) and every Logical Form corresponds to at least one Phonological Form (i.e. every meaning can be encoded in at least one phonological string).
Press X to doubt.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Well, if you look a bit further, they actually worked out its formal semantics, so as long as their chosen formal theory is sufficiently good they’re actually not being too ridiculous there.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 7:01 pm I find a true velar nasal (as opposed to a prenasalised stop) rather difficult to articulate word-initially.
So wait, when you're impersonating a sexy cat, you say /ŋgʲã˩˥/ ?
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Moose-tache wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 7:32 pm
So wait, when you're impersonating a sexy cat...
I have never in my life attempted this.
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

/ŋgʲã˩˥/ the cat said "i feel like being sexy today"
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Same -- I don't know enough about loglangs to decide how well it works; but apart from that it's very well done and I like it a lot.
jal

Post by jal »

Ares Land wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 1:37 amand I like it a lot.
This always makes me think of this :D.

JAL
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

jal wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:37 am
Ares Land wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 1:37 amand I like it a lot.
This always makes me think of this :D.

JAL
Yeah, I guess it would :D

I remember the Die Antwoord craze but I don't think I ever listened to them. I do remember the haircuts.
Jonlang

Post by Jonlang »

So, I don't know whether to go for /mw/ > /nw/ or > /mm/... I don't really like the sound of /mw/ and geminites are totally a thing in my L conlang. But, I have words where sometimes the /nw/ version sounds better or sometimes the /mm/ sounds better, but there's no phonetic justification for both in either case - one is hamma one is panwa... I could hand waive one instance of an irregular sound change because that happens in natlangs from time to time, but how else could I naturalistically have this duality? Or do I need to just pick one?
Twitter won't let me access my @Jonlang_ account, so I've moved to Mastodon: @jonlang@mastodon.social
mocha

Post by mocha »

Jonlang wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:51 am So, I don't know whether to go for /mw/ > /nw/ or > /mm/... I don't really like the sound of /mw/ and geminites are totally a thing in my L conlang. But, I have words where sometimes the /nw/ version sounds better or sometimes the /mm/ sounds better, but there's no phonetic justification for both in either case - one is hamma one is panwa... I could hand waive one instance of an irregular sound change because that happens in natlangs from time to time, but how else could I naturalistically have this duality? Or do I need to just pick one?
You could say both existed as variations in dialect, but due to population mixing by some external force, both forms came into use by the "merged" dialect, and some words happened to settle into one form, and some into another...

At least, that's what I would do if I really wanted this.