The Contradictory Feelings Thread

Topics that can go away
Raphael

Re: The Contradictory Feelings Thread

Post by Raphael »

When I'm asleep, in my dreams, I often see things you people wouldn't believe. I can't describe them here, because usually, all those moments are lost in time, like tears in rain, at most half an hour after I wake up.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Oh, Turkey, when will you stop getting my hopes up?
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

So, a while ago, perhaps a few weeks, perhaps a few months, I set myself a reminder in my cellphone that I wanted to do something today, or perhaps at roughly this time of the year. Problem is, I used some kind of cryptic code, and now I can't figure out what I was planning to do. I hope it wasn't too important.
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

Raphael wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 2:48 pm So, a while ago, perhaps a few weeks, perhaps a few months, I set myself a reminder in my cellphone that I wanted to do something today, or perhaps at roughly this time of the year. Problem is, I used some kind of cryptic code, and now I can't figure out what I was planning to do. I hope it wasn't too important.
My father used to say, if it's important, you'll remember it :-)
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Raphael wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 2:48 pm So, a while ago, perhaps a few weeks, perhaps a few months, I set myself a reminder in my cellphone that I wanted to do something today, or perhaps at roughly this time of the year. Problem is, I used some kind of cryptic code, and now I can't figure out what I was planning to do. I hope it wasn't too important.
That's because Past You was visited by Future You, who informed Past You that Present You must take action at this time to avoid a corrupt timeline; but also warn you that our timeline was drifting unpredictably and there was a possibility that you would not remember what to do, or what the code meant.

Don't worry, it happens all the time.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

So I’ve been on the Seroquel for a few weeks now. I feel happier but also…somehow less motivated? Will this pass?

I hope I don’t lose sight of who I am, or was in some respects.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Man in Space wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:50 pm So I’ve been on the Seroquel for a few weeks now. I feel happier but also…somehow less motivated? Will this pass?

I hope I don’t lose sight of who I am, or was in some respects.
I've learned to not miss the energy of high moods, because they inevitably lead to either the misery and sheer inability to get anything done of low moods or, worse yet, mixed moods. In the long run I am far more productive and far happier in normal mood even if I don't get the bursts of sheer performance and focus characteristic of hypomania.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Personally, I feel I am actually very much my true self now that my mood has been stabilized ─ I am quite productive both professionally and in developing the software on my own that I could have only dreamed of, or for that matter was unable to dream of in the first place, in the past ─ whereas I remember going for years while not getting anything I wanted to do done or, for that matter, not having any clue as to what I wanted to do in the first place, when I was far less stable.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

The Good: I have done the initial implementation work of my CYW43 driver for the Raspberry Pi Pico W.

The Bad: I need to also implement a whole IP stack on top of that. And I can't really test my CYW43 driver without something resembling an IP stack.

The Ugly: The CYW43 driver just does not work, and not that it simply does not work (that is to be expected at this point in the process - software of this size and complexity rarely works on the first try), but rather that it does not work in a fashion that seems fundamentally impossible to me.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I have Internet again, after it being down much of the afternoon. Thing is, the same exact same thing happened yesterday. Will it happen again tomorrow?
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

It's really windy here today. Thankfully, I don't have to do anything urgent outside or elsewhere. Let's hope that the house stays complete.
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

My current job is not renewed for budgetary reasons. On the hand, it's bad news to have less money coming in. On the other, it leaves more time to finish the thesis I started in 2019 and would like finished rather than later. And also more time for preparing for competitive exams. Also, the money coming is less bad because my girlfriend got her competitive exam job. So I'm not sure whether I should apply other jobs or just buckle down and finish the thesis. I'm nearing to the latter but still not entirely sure.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

MacAnDàil wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:46 am My current job is not renewed for budgetary reasons. On the hand, it's bad news to have less money coming in. On the other, it leaves more time to finish the thesis I started in 2019 and would like finished rather than later. And also more time for preparing for competitive exams. Also, the money coming is less bad because my girlfriend got her competitive exam job. So I'm not sure whether I should apply other jobs or just buckle down and finish the thesis. I'm nearing to the latter but still not entirely sure.
I have no idea what exactly I would do in your position, but let me wish you good luck with that 2019 thesis!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I just saw a small deer running along our street. Normally, I'de simply be happy about getting to see a cute animal, but I'm also worried about what might happen to a small deer running through a built-up neighborhood.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Raphael wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:20 am I just saw a small deer running along our street. Normally, I'de simply be happy about getting to see a cute animal, but I'm also worried about what might happen to a small deer running through a built-up neighborhood.
Deer are common around where I live; note that you very commonly see former deer on the edges of the freeway here.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I sent a complaint to my ebook store yesterday, and got an email reply today. Now I wonder whether I should be happy I got such a quick reply, or angry that the company is making their customer support people work on a Sunday.
xxx

Post by xxx »

shame on me, my ebook supplier is an illegal library in Russia,
fortunately I never finished one...
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

They finally got the tracking function for the package I sent on its way on Monday working again. Yay!

According to the tracking information, it apparently took the package two days to travel a distance that's not that much longer than many people's daily commute. Boo!
elgis

Post by elgis »

Raphael wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:59 pm I sent a complaint to my ebook store yesterday, and got an email reply today. Now I wonder whether I should be happy I got such a quick reply, or angry that the company is making their customer support people work on a Sunday.
Maybe they have their customer support team in a country where Sunday is a workday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workweek_ ... map_v2.svg
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

elgis wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:56 pm
Raphael wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:59 pm I sent a complaint to my ebook store yesterday, and got an email reply today. Now I wonder whether I should be happy I got such a quick reply, or angry that the company is making their customer support people work on a Sunday.
Maybe they have their customer support team in a country where Sunday is a workday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workweek_ ... map_v2.svg
Theoretically possible, but I think for linguistic reasons, international outsourcing of customer service might be less common in Germany than in the English-speaking countries. Then again, judging from their name, the person who signed the email is probably a Muslim, or a Muslim-descended secular person, so perhaps they have some kind of arrangement where they work on Sunday and get Friday off in turn.