What are you reading, watching and listening to? - All languages

Topics that can go away
Man in Space

Re: What are you reading, watching and listening to? - All languages

Post by Man in Space »

alice wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:25 pm One of the topics on the ZBB.
This response.
linguistcat

Post by linguistcat »

I just finished a Japanese drama called "Unnatural." It's about forensic scientists solving socalled unnatural deaths (not always murders, but most of them are especially later in the story). It also discusses the low autopsy rates in Japan compared to other countries, and shows a bit about the Japanese judicial system. Though of course there's a lot of exaggeration as well.
A cat and a linguist.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

linguistcat wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:42 amIt also discusses the low autopsy rates in Japan compared to other countries,
Are there cultural objections to autopsies in Japan? Or perhaps cultural objections to acknowledging that a deceased person might have been murdered?
linguistcat

Post by linguistcat »

Raphael wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:45 am
linguistcat wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:42 amIt also discusses the low autopsy rates in Japan compared to other countries,
Are there cultural objections to autopsies in Japan? Or perhaps cultural objections to acknowledging that a deceased person might have been murdered?
More the former. Japan's main way of handling dead bodies is cremation, and anything having to do with death is a little taboo in the first place.
A cat and a linguist.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

linguistcat wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:56 am More the former. Japan's main way of handling dead bodies is cremation, and anything having to do with death is a little taboo in the first place.
Thank you!

ETA: "anything having to do with death is a little taboo in the first place" doesn't sound that different from most Western cultures to me.
linguistcat

Post by linguistcat »

Raphael wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:58 am
linguistcat wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:56 am More the former. Japan's main way of handling dead bodies is cremation, and anything having to do with death is a little taboo in the first place.
Thank you!

ETA: "anything having to do with death is a little taboo in the first place" doesn't sound that different from most Western cultures to me.
Well, the "a little" was understatement. Most places have a death taboo. Historically in Japan, interacting with the dead was a form of kegare or ritual uncleanliness.
A cat and a linguist.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

linguistcat wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:25 pm Well, the "a little" was understatement. Most places have a death taboo. Historically in Japan, interacting with the dead was a form of kegare or ritual uncleanliness.
Now I have to think of James's reaction to the open casket in Derry Girls.
rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

I feel terrible for non-straight, non-cis people in conservative America and powerless to help:

- https://youtu.be/zmknr0NxSOg

- https://youtu.be/6wHva3JXPh0

Attempts to figure out what's going on in the world:

- The Chronic Crisis of American Democracy by Benjamin Studebaker is an excellent summary of the current impasse from a Leftist perspective. I had no idea it was metaphysically possible for a smart human to believe a truth in the 21st century. (Spinger ebook was the cheapest I could find)

- Capital Wars by Michael Howell is about the effects of global liquidity on economic performance. This is a technical work, not Leftist. Having to be partisan kind of depresses me anyway.

Attempts to escape my waking reality:

- A Grammar of Akkadian by Huehnergard

- Inanna, Queen of Heaven and Earth by Wolkstein and Kramer

Attempts to stabilize my mood swings:

- Probably enough Ghirardelli Sea Salt Caramel Squares to cause diabetes, bankruptcy and possibly a stroke

- Picoecomomics by George Ainslie

PS. Reflections about the political climate from Benjamin Studebaker's blog:

https://benjaminstudebaker.com/2023/02/ ... flections/
https://benjaminstudebaker.com/2023/02/ ... ightmares/
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Recently got around to watching ¡No!, which I had been planning to do for a while. Cue people who know more about Chile than me pointing out how the movie simplifies or perhaps even distorts things. I like it quite a lot, though.
rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

Teatro Grottesco by Thomas Ligotti is honestly the best fiction I've read in years. The formula is simple: disturbing imagery + snippets of cynical philosophy + tragic outcomes = Lovecraftian horror. The execution is top-notch IMO.
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

Just watched Cat's Cradle and Burial Path by Stan Brakhage (after hearing about him from the titular song by Stereolab). I'm pretty sure you have to think about these films to enjoy them rather then just passively watch them. I've found myself constantly asking myself what the silent images mean and i've concluded both might as well be dreams yet ones better than any dream you can possibly have. Cat's Cradle deals with well cats but the constant flickering images of man and woman suggest it also deals with romantic intimacy yet they are never together in the same frame so its juxtaposed as if he is coming after her. Burial Path on the other hand deals with birds first the consumption of food by them followed by the death of one (it's named Burial Path so of course i was thinking about death the whole time) and much of the imagery reminds me of death dealing with empty yet beautiful suburbs and also a group of kids playing before one slips away.
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

After watching two works by Maya Deren i can definitely say i am getting used to art cinema. First one was A Private Life of a Cat which is absolute trite with just a bad plot and no artistic sense to it whatsoever. Second one however was At Land which is much more Psychedelic than Brakhages work without all the fancy flashing imagery but rather just a distorted storyline which devolves into pure chaos just as the plot reaches its eclipse. Absolute genius.
alice

Post by alice »

The Conlanger's Lexipedia. Why haven't you bought a copy yet?
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

Academic books are really expensive.
elgis

Post by elgis »

One of my favorite videos is this cover of demiurge shot with a headstock cam.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Meshuggah – “Clockworks”

This is incidentally my favorite music video of all time.