The Speculative Fiction Thread formerly Fantasy Thread

Topics that can go away
Man in Space

Re: The Speculative Fiction Thread formerly Fantasy Thread

Post by Man in Space »

zompist wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:07 pm
Raphael wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:56 pm One thing I generally don't get about some plot lines in various works set in the Star Wars Universe is the idea that anger can always lead you to the Dark Side, even if the thing you're angry about is something that was done by the supporters of the Dark Side.

"Supporters of the Dark Side have murdered everyone I loved and cared about, and I'm really really angry about that, so now I'm going to join the Dark Side myself!"??
I think it's regurgitated Christianity, or maybe Buddhism, whatever pot pourri of half-understood beliefs George Lucas had in his head. In many belief systems the emotions are highly suspect, and you're supposed to be motivated by love or compassion, not revenge.

Of course, if it wasn't for revenge, 90% of action movies would fall apart.
If I can add in perspective from someone whose mental health is suspect…

I never gave this a second thought in Star Wars. Joining the Dark Side despite everything is, unfortunately, totally believable to me. I have been there. Yoda mentions the fear > anger > hate > suffering progression and for someone who has undergone trauma, whose mental state is fragile, it is like sound change to Neogrammarians. You come to a point where everything that has had meaning is, in your eyes, utterly brought to ruin, and from there it’s simply a point of giving yourself over to the emotion—you sacrifice everything that has meaning and any chance at a normal life because everything that has had meaning to you has been desecrated, disrespected, destroyed.

Not everybody reacts that way. Some just bluescreen. Others go through the motions because it’s normalcy/all they know. A rare few rebel against these tendencies.

It’s a search for meaning. You want to visit that upon the world because that is how the world seems to work, and you decide to embrace it and work within its system.

In some ways it’s like the sunk-cost fallacy applied to the Force.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

zompist wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:07 pm
Raphael wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:56 pm One thing I generally don't get about some plot lines in various works set in the Star Wars Universe is the idea that anger can always lead you to the Dark Side, even if the thing you're angry about is something that was done by the supporters of the Dark Side.

"Supporters of the Dark Side have murdered everyone I loved and cared about, and I'm really really angry about that, so now I'm going to join the Dark Side myself!"??
I think it's regurgitated Christianity, or maybe Buddhism, whatever pot pourri of half-understood beliefs George Lucas had in his head. In many belief systems the emotions are highly suspect, and you're supposed to be motivated by love or compassion, not revenge.

Of course, if it wasn't for revenge, 90% of action movies would fall apart.
I’d go with ‘regurgitated Taoism’, myself, though he must have got his wires crossed with the more black-and-white forms of Christianity. The end result is a universe where everyone talks very wisdomously about ‘balance’, but what they actually mean is ‘the dark side must be defeated for all eternity’. I hear some of the later series are better, but I’ve never cared enough for Star Wars (or, frankly, movies in general) to even consider watching them.

(For an example of how to do it right, I recommend Le Guin’s A Wizard of Earthea, which actually attempts to take this concept seriously.)
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Raphael wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:56 pm Sort of Sci-Fi, or, if you will, fantasy-related:

One thing I generally don't get about some plot lines in various works set in the Star Wars Universe is the idea that anger can always lead you to the Dark Side, even if the thing you're angry about is something that was done by the supporters of the Dark Side.

Sorry, I'm not following the logic there.
Man in Space's point is sound.
On top of that, the original trilogy kept Jedi spirituality pretty vague, which is how these things should be treated. Luke shows no anger for Vader and offers compassion instead -- and that turns out for the best. Though the final boss fight is a little cheesy, I can sort of buy the idea that an angry and overemotional Luke would have been ripe for some Dark Side brainwashing.

If I had to guess, I think the idea is from misremembered bits of the Lord of the Rings.

Lucas tried to explore Jedi ethics and spirituality in some depth in the prequels and as I recall none of it really made any sense.
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

I have done the death and ressurection thing sensu lato jesus twice now.
keenir

Post by keenir »

Moose-tache wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:12 pmI think if you told the Victorians that the internet is a big expensive piece of infrastructure that revolutionizes people's ability to chat, they wouldn't want anything to do with it. You could lie and tell them it's educational, but if you're gonna lie you can do way better. Tell them that cotton, coffee, indigo, tea, and sugar cane are all poisonous and become history's greatest hero.
I have this horrible suspicion that if any of us went back in time and did that, we'd return to the Present Day, and find that we had kicked off The Great Dietary Crusade, which resulted in widespread exterpation of most of those plants, and maybe an extinction, with wartime actions that may've made the Draka blush, even if things mellowed out since then.

(remember, Gladstone wasn't the only Victorian with a savior complex - just one of the more influential ones) :)
keenir

Post by keenir »

foxcatdog wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:30 pmI have done the death and ressurection thing sensu lato jesus twice now.
Very impressive; you're like both of the Hero Twins at once. :)
(Gilgamesh would be jealous)
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

Apparently Wuthering Heights is a fantasy novel. I have only read the first part (edit first chapter) but i must say it has beautiful prose comparable to Jane Eyre.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkxROvztjg4
Last edited by foxcatdog on Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
alice

Post by alice »

Here's a version you may not have seen; I don't know if it qualifies as "fantasy" or not.
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

Given the collaborative fantasy world fizzled out due to a lack of interest (probably from what i can guess this being due to the fact that the ideas of the world were too rooted in DND tropes to be of any interest to anyone in this site) would anyone be interested in a collaborative science fantasy universe?

The hook of this universe at least I can think of is its “magitech” and the various species relationships with it, probably from an underlying “magispace” equivalent to a spirit realm (or the Immaterial in the fiction i am writing). Each species has a unique type of “magibility” due to different “magitraces” (which would basically be the equivalent of a soul). The variety of these have led people to believe the major intelligent races of the galaxy were seeded by a previous race known only as “the forerunners” who also left behind many ancient ruins as well as the architecture for faster than light travel. At least my idea is that many of the planets would differ in a similar manner to those of the planets presented in the hainish cycle, however nations spanning multiple systems are not out of the question.

An example Magibility
Trace: This species can encode unique magical effects on Magitech known as Traces (due to the things being based on their individual Magitraces (souls)). This can be used to personalise Magitech allowing it to only be activated by its intended user or even be activated remotely and to all customise it in ways unique to the user. Besides this they also reincarnate and can use the technology of their previous lives. Due to me reusing ideas they have the faces of cats.
linguistcat

Post by linguistcat »

I'm already working on my own sci-fan galaxy for a story, otherwise this would be right up my alley. I hope you get some folks interested because I'd like to see what gets made, even if I'm not participating.
A cat and a linguist.
keenir

Post by keenir »

foxcatdog wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:51 am Given the collaborative fantasy world fizzled out due to a lack of interest (probably from what i can guess this being due to the fact that the ideas of the world were too rooted in DND tropes to be of any interest to anyone in this site)
I'd wager that "D&D tropes" were not the reason why the collaborative world fizzled out; I think we discussed it with you in that thread.
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

keenir wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:46 pm
foxcatdog wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:51 am Given the collaborative fantasy world fizzled out due to a lack of interest (probably from what i can guess this being due to the fact that the ideas of the world were too rooted in DND tropes to be of any interest to anyone in this site)
I'd wager that "D&D tropes" were not the reason why the collaborative world fizzled out; I think we discussed it with you in that thread.
Does this one have a clearer premise?
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

When the Kiyoko met the Naya
The Kiyoko of the Sea of Stars (and other systems) an oasis of glittering stars spun in nebulae which glowed like a luminous sea and filled to the brim with many fertile worlds where alone. They had colonised many worlds but had found no traces of sapient life anywhere except for themselves. Until one day they stumbled upon a world filled to the brim with larger beasts which dwarfed any of the planets they could inhabit a great deal. There they found a primitive yet masterfully psychic people known in their tongue as the Naya at least in the fabled City of Electrum which was a marvel far above the rest of the planet (known as Kesa in their own tongue). They found their Magitech was distinct from theirs owing to their unique Magibility known as Bond which allowed them to form connections with any other life as well as anything which had a Magitrace including much of the Technology of the Kiyoko (but not much of the technology on this planet) although their own Magibility Trace made it sometimes difficult for them to establish connections with them. The connections worked based on empathy and they found this race was rarely reclusive or asocial but thrived in connection. Using their abilities they had tamed much of the wildlife of the planet and could steer them to their will. Those of less good nature could even hold others into dominion although this usage of Bond was rare on this planet. Later they would find more of the Naya on other worlds, some of which were more advanced in terms of technology than Kesa. Other races were found too and the galaxy opened up to the Kiyoko as well as the Naya.
Last edited by foxcatdog on Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
keenir

Post by keenir »

foxcatdog wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:26 am
keenir wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:46 pm
Does this one have a clearer premise?
the premise was perfectly clear last time, and, again, was not the problem.
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

Frankly i'm not sure if you ever wanted to contribute or not or just gawk at the idea.
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

About the Naya
Naya usually stand a head and a half shorter than Kiyoko with female Naya being slightly taller but male Naya being more robust. (at least this is the standard form the Naya of Keran are usually taller than Kiyoko especially the males). Litters exclusively consist of one Naya and their first Bond is with their mother and this state persists until around 5 years old where they will begin to bond with their siblings if they have any (Naya live long around 3000 earth years like most other of the “engineered races”). Larger families are as such encouraged and it is not uncommon for Naya women to not breed or to give their children to Naya who already have kids. Naya also cannot Bond with their fathers at least in most cases. Bonding entails the sharing of feelings and emotions as well as thoughts (in contrast Trace can copy a feeling or a thought and send it over some equivalent of a world wide web or imprint it into a piece of Magitech but they don’t have the same kind of bond). This leads to a general degree of distance between fathers and children at least in most cases and it leads to mothers having more control over their children.

Other notes are the fact subspecies or in cases of interracial breeding (which usually requires Magitech assistance in such cases) they will adopt the form of their mothers with some traits of their fathers usually personality as well as the particular extent of their Magibility. This is again due to the races probably being engineered and their DNA equivalent is equivalent to code stored in Magispace with maternal and paternal inheritance involving different lines of code.
Torco

Post by Torco »

Raphael wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:56 pm Sort of Sci-Fi, or, if you will, fantasy-related:

One thing I generally don't get about some plot lines in various works set in the Star Wars Universe is the idea that anger can always lead you to the Dark Side, even if the thing you're angry about is something that was done by the supporters of the Dark Side.

Sorry, I'm not following the logic there.
I've gone through three readings of this dark side thing, besides the run-of-the-mill spiritual these-emotions-are-good these-emotions-are-bad, and bad emotions turn you bad because they are bad (for the record, I feel as if it's regurgitated buddhism, but a lot of spiritual/religious traditions do the bad emotions / good emotions thing):

First, I read it like this: it's technical. Like, it's not that the dark side of the force is some inherent direct metaphor for the functioning of the mind but, rather, that the force is just the kind of thing that, if you use it in certain ways, you become more angry and more hateful until you just go crazy evil mad evil bad mad mad bad evil bad darkness bad: this may not be the case for regular humans (or twileks or whatever), for whom "negative" emotions can be good, which is why force users are *different* from non-force users: the jedi have a distinct moral code for themselves which they don't -that i notice- try to make non-force sensitive people follow, because they're not dealing with the force, they're dealing with everyday life. the lessons of the force and the dark side and blabla are not directly applicable to everyday life anymore than the lessons of driving trucks, such as use the retarder instead of the breaks in long donwards slopes because you don't want to heat up your disks too much, apply to normal life. this is not unsupported in the text, I think: the jedi speak about the force as a dangerous thing, their light side ethics are not universalist, and crucially the good non-force-users in the universe do experience the breadth of human emotion without becoming psychos.

Afterwards I read it like this: it's a cultural syndrome. It's not necessarily that some emotions are inherently bad, or that the force has particular characteristics that make you go psycho if you experience a normal human emotional range: rather, it's the strict ideology of crippling emotional self-repression these people are indoctrinated into from early childhood that has a way of causing this culturally-specific form of madness, the dark side: something like amok in malasya, or school shootings in certain countries. I think this has more support in the text, though possibly not intended. For one, the dark side looks like a concretely jedi phenomenon: and the jedi are pretty repressed people, not unlike catholic clergy except recruited in childhood to be soldier monks, which sounds... traumatizing, to say the least. there are in the lore a bunch of other force traditions, such as the dathomiri night sisters or the zeffonians, the rakata... and sure, they're described by present sources sometimes as "that ancient race fell to the dark-side" but they don't, to my knowledge, have sort of an endemic dark side that individual people turn into thing. in-universe, the gray jedi would probably like this interpretation, and their existence supports the notion that maybe dark and light are just stuff people made up, that the force is the force, and obsession with not being dark is like trying not to think of a pink elephant.

but finally, it could be simply the way conflict functions: that is to say, that it isn't especially unheard of and that we shouldn't look for fancy metaphysical or cultural explanations: there are many stories, but to be a stereotypically chilean lefto let me shortly tell you to the story of la Flaca Alejandra. possibly there's not a lot of english language material on the woman, so i'll summarize as follows: she was a prominent member of one of the bravest and most militant left-wing groups of her day at one date, and at a later date a terribly deadly collaborator of the pinochet regime, responsible for the fall of many good comrades. during the early dictatorship she commanded a guerrilla group, the primer grupo politico-militar, part of the MIR's direct action force. she's described by her comrades as vivacious, strict, and totally commited to the Party, and she would later relate that she didn't have much of a personal life besides her left-wing political activism. eventually she was aprehended by the fascists, and after a few months managed to secretly send, in a cigarrette paper, the following message to her comrades and commanders: "I could not resist the torture: I've acknowledged facts about the Party. please permit me to go away into asylum", or something to that effect. the MIR however had a strict no asylum policy. some time later she's formally released by the prosecutor, as she was a legal prisoner, and immediately abducted by the clandestine fascist secret police and brought into Londres 38. this one of the most famous torture centers of the dictatorship, the details of which I shan't tell of here for being far too sickening. In time she told all she knew and, afterwards, released from the torture center under surveillance she would recontact her former comrades, obtain whatever information she could, and then come back to the fascists to relate this information to them. as her value as an asset of the fascists grew, so did her privileges as a prisoner: at first no rape, then no torturte, a bed, then better food, etcetera. Eventually she was released and offered a job within the organization of Mamo Contreras, possibly the most infamous of the torturers and murderers of the regime, and she accepted. Part of a fascist cell with two other women, she became now a full security agent of the regime with an official salary, vacation days, advising other fascist hierarchs, writing up plans and proposals for how to increase the regime's popularity, obtaining recognition and even awards from pinochet's minister of justice, attending national security courses and seminars, the whole shtick. she had fully turned. as most of the collaborators, she was never prosecuted. as i understand it, she currently enjoys a comfortable retirement in easter Island, along with her husband, whom she met in the service of pinochet.

man, talk about turning dark, huh?