Innovative Usage Thread

Natural languages and linguistics
Salmoneus

Re: Innovative Usage Thread

Post by Salmoneus »

Linguoboy wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:15 pm Today I heard "YouTube" as a count noun meaning "video available on YouTube". (E.g. "There's a YouTube you can watch.")
Interesting. I've only heard "a Youtube" to mean "a Youtube channel". I think I'd also be ok, though, with it meaning a youtube video providing that the video was of an educational nature.

-----

Recently, noted fantasy author of yore, J.V. Jones, who's returning to writing to finish off her saga, posted a teaser for the new book, with a painting, over which was a tagline: "She'd hadn't meant to [do something I can't remember what it was]".

The line wasn't in the extract she posted, so I don't know if it appears in her novel, or is just something she made on the spur of the moment. But the idea that a relatively high-profile novelist is using this as part of a commercial marketing plan makes this an unusually prominent place to find a novelty!

Googling shows me that the phrase "she'd hadn't" appears mostly in novels written by american women in the last five years or so, although of course Google isn't a particularly objective scientific instrument in this regard.

Fascinating, though. Because it's not just a random weird thing, it seems specifically to be a step in the evolution of English toward synthesis.
alynnidalar

Post by alynnidalar »

Salmoneus wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:54 am
Linguoboy wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:15 pm Today I heard "YouTube" as a count noun meaning "video available on YouTube". (E.g. "There's a YouTube you can watch.")
Interesting. I've only heard "a Youtube" to mean "a Youtube channel". I think I'd also be ok, though, with it meaning a youtube video providing that the video was of an educational nature.
My mom does this! She also uses the verb "to Youtube" as in "to look up a video on Youtube", although I've heard other people use that as well.

She'll say things like "I was watching a Youtube with [content of video]" or "I Youtubed the song and listened to it".
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

The only non-standard usage I've ever heard or seen is YouTube as a verb meaning "to upload on YouTube" or "(the) YouTubes" in humour. Plus a sketch where someone sees an ad for YouTube and tries to buy "one YouTube" only to be told that the company is worth thousands of millions or something (it's been years so I don't remember it exactly).
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
Nerulent

Post by Nerulent »

alynnidalar wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:28 pmMy mom does this! She also uses the verb "to Youtube" as in "to look up a video on Youtube", although I've heard other people use that as well.

She'll say things like "I was watching a Youtube with [content of video]" or "I Youtubed the song and listened to it".
The verbal usage is fairly common here - I definitely say this. It's got a pretty clear analogy in 'to google'. I haven't heard it as a noun like that, but it doesn't feel too unnatural at all.
alynnidalar

Post by alynnidalar »

It [the verbal usage] definitely seems to be increasingly widespread.
zyxw59

Post by zyxw59 »

It occurs to me that the verb usage of "Youtube" with the meaning of watching or searching for a video on Youtube contrasts with the noun "Youtuber", which I've only ever seen used to refer to people who make videos on Youtube.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Does anyone else have /wʌnt/ for went?

I think this might be related to my pin-pen merger, but it's hard to say because I can't think of any other words where I have /ɛ/ > [ʌ].
Boşkoventi

Post by Boşkoventi »

Linguoboy wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:52 am Does anyone else have /wʌnt/ for went?

I think this might be related to my pin-pen merger, but it's hard to say because I can't think of any other words where I have /ɛ/ > [ʌ].
What about "twenty"? [twʌɾ̃i] ~ [tʃwʌɾ̃i] seems fairly common.
Radius Solis wrote:The scientific method! It works, bitches.
Είναι όλα Ελληνικά για μένα.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Boşkoventi wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:46 am What about "twenty"? [twʌɾ̃i] ~ [tʃwʌɾ̃i] seems fairly common.
With my colloquial simplification of homoorganic medial clusters, this becomes [twʌni].
Zaarin

Post by Zaarin »

Linguoboy wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:52 am Does anyone else have /wʌnt/ for went?

I don't, but a speaker in a file I'm transcribing seems to have a rather broad (but not universal) /ɛ/ > [ʌ]. No idea where he's from, I'm afraid, though I'd peg his accent as "vaguely Midwestern" if pressed.
But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me?
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Boşkoventi wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:46 am

In the dialect here it is normal to have [ˈtʲʰwʌ̃ɾ̃i(ː)]~[tʲʰwʌ̃i̯], and some people have [ˈtɕʰwʌ̃ɾ̃i(ː)]~[tɕʰwʌ̃i̯].
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Esneirra973

Post by Esneirra973 »

Travis B. wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:43 pm
Boşkoventi wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:46 am

In the dialect here it is normal to have [ˈtʲʰwʌ̃ɾ̃i(ː)]~[tʲʰwʌ̃i̯], and some people have [ˈtɕʰwʌ̃ɾ̃i(ː)]~[tɕʰwʌ̃i̯].
In my dialect, it's [tʰwɛni].
Llazmacnazion intenna delment mijo tán wanimma.
DEF.FP-machination inner-FEM of-DEF.MS-mind 1S.POSS-MASC be.PRES.IND.PLU INDEF.FS-enigma
Llaz-macnazion intenna de-llo-ment mijo tán wa-enimma
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

When I was out at the Shedd Aquarium with my sister and much of our immediate family this weekend, I specifically recall hearing my sister pronounce to as a very clear [tɕʰʉ̯uː], with very strong affrication and palatalization.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Hyolobrika

Post by Hyolobrika »

The other day I saw on Reddit someone say "wanna talks" presumably for "wants to talk" from "wanna" as a contraction of "wants to" in front of verb forms without the s. "Wanna" seems to have become an adverb.

Also I've just thought of something, do you or anything you read capitalise the first letter of a quote within a sentence if it's the first thing in the sentence?
My name is meant to be pronounced [çɔˈlɔːbrɪkʌ], but you can pronounce it any way you like.
The initial palatal fricative can be replaced by [hj] and the final vowel by [a] (I think that's the right IPA symbol).
---
Fiat verba, fiat grammatica, fiat lingua!
Zaarin

Post by Zaarin »

The other day I saw on Reddit someone say "wanna talks" presumably for "wants to talk" from "wanna" as a contraction of "wants to" in front of verb forms without the s. "Wanna" seems to have become an adverb.
Without more context, this usage looks perfectly normal to me, a simple auxiliary + infinitive construct...
Hyolobrika wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:39 pmAlso I've just thought of something, do you or anything you read capitalise the first letter of a quote within a sentence if it's the first thing in the sentence?
Are you asking about capitalizing the first word of a quote that is not capitalized in the original quote? Most style guides would prescribe that, with a bracket around the capital letter: "[Y]es." And of course in dialogue the first word of a sentence is always capitalized.
But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me?
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?
Dē Graut Bʉr

Post by Dē Graut Bʉr »

Zaarin wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:52 pm
Without more context, this usage looks perfectly normal to me, a simple auxiliary + infinitive construct...
"Wanna talks".
Xwtek

Post by Xwtek »

Since I am not a native English speaker, I have difficulty between /æ/ and /ɛ/. To make the sound more distinct, I pronounce /æ/ as /ɛ˷/. The similiar things happen for /ɪ˷/ and /ʊ˷/, except it is also pronounced shorter than /i/ and /u/. Now the contrast is on voicing on vowel, that can be pronounced easier.
IPA of my name: [xʷtɛ̀k]

Favourite morphology: Polysynthetic, Ablaut
Favourite character archetype: Shounen hero
bbbosborne

Post by bbbosborne »

i hope this is the right thread: once i was doing a school assigment really quickly and the person next to me asked if i was just "copy and pasting." i had no electronics near me, all i had was a textbook. i had absolutely no idea what she was asking, but then she added "from the book" to her question. has anyone else heard someone use the phrase "copy and paste" outside of the electronic environment?
when the hell did that happen
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

bbbosborne wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:25 pm i hope this is the right thread: once i was doing a school assigment really quickly and the person next to me asked if i was just "copy and pasting." i had no electronics near me, all i had was a textbook. i had absolutely no idea what she was asking, but then she added "from the book" to her question. has anyone else heard someone use the phrase "copy and paste" outside of the electronic environment?
Yes. I had a math teacher that described reusing the same bits of reasoning in demonstrations as "copy and paste".
Ryusenshi

Post by Ryusenshi »

I've been exchanging messages with an eBay seller from Germany, and he always capitalizes "You". Certainly a weird transfer from his native language, when the formal second person pronoun "Sie" is always capitalized.