Happy things thread!

Topics that can go away
Man in Space

Re: Happy things thread!

Post by Man in Space »

In the Random Thread, Man in Space wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:02 pm I was invited to a friend’s Halloween party. There is a costume contest. This is my entry. Total build time: About 40 man-hours.
I WON!!!!! TWICE!!!!! Most creative and best in show
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Man in Space wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:17 pm
In the Random Thread, Man in Space wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:02 pm I was invited to a friend’s Halloween party. There is a costume contest. This is my entry. Total build time: About 40 man-hours.
Congratulations!
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Man in Space wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:17 pm
Congrats!
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Between about two weeks ago and a few days ago, a particular area on my right foot hurt really badly. Sometimes it was so bad that I could barely walk. Last Friday, when I got my flu shot, I had my doctor look at it. She said that there was a callus that was bad enough that I should either have it treated, or work on it myself with a pumice stone or something similar. I decided to do the latter. When I had worked a bit on the callus, I discovered that underneath the callus, there was some kind of blister, or, more accurately, a layer of skin soaked in some kind of liquid. I treated that as well as I could. As a result, a few days ago, my foot completely stopped hurting.

Anyway, long story short, the fact that my foot doesn't hurt any more is great news!
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Release 1.2.3 of zeptoforth is out, which makes transmission via SPI (when doing so with buffers than individual bytes or halfwords) faster by a factor of ~4.5 (~4.0 for receiving via SPI), adds the ability to write numeric literals as stuff like 1_000_000 (yes, this was inspired by Python), adds a convenient word for clearing the console, and fixes a major bug in the USB CDC console that was making it sporadically lose the 128th byte received.
rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

Travis B. wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:06 pm Release 1.2.3 of zeptoforth is out, which makes transmission via SPI (when doing so with buffers than individual bytes or halfwords) faster by a factor of ~4.5 (~4.0 for receiving via SPI), adds the ability to write numeric literals as stuff like 1_000_000 (yes, this was inspired by Python), adds a convenient word for clearing the console, and fixes a major bug in the USB CDC console that was making it sporadically lose the 128th byte received.
Sounds interesting. Some day I'll have enough free time to try this out.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

rotting bones wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:32 pm
Travis B. wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:06 pm Release 1.2.3 of zeptoforth is out, which makes transmission via SPI (when doing so with buffers than individual bytes or halfwords) faster by a factor of ~4.5 (~4.0 for receiving via SPI), adds the ability to write numeric literals as stuff like 1_000_000 (yes, this was inspired by Python), adds a convenient word for clearing the console, and fixes a major bug in the USB CDC console that was making it sporadically lose the 128th byte received.
Sounds interesting. Some day I'll have enough free time to try this out.
I highly recommend getting a Raspberry Pi Pico or (if you want WiFi support) a Raspberry Pi Pico W, or any other RP2040 board, if you want to try out zeptoforth. zeptoforth itself seeks to be a full operating system for ARM Cortex-M boards, but its support is most complete for the RP2040. (Also note that RP2040 boards tend to be inexpensive compared to other ARM Cortex-M boards.) In this it has things such as preemptive multitasking, a wide range of intertask communication and synchronization constructs (locks, semaphores, queue and rendezvous channels, byte streams, task notifications, etc.), SDHC card and FAT32 filesystem support, (currently beta) WiFi support for the Raspberry Pi Pico W, heap and pool allocator support, and (on the RP2040) wide peripheral support (STM32 platforms have so many peripherals that it is not practical to support them all).

Do note that it is a Forth, so I would suggest reading up on Forth first - good books on it include Starting Forth and Thinking Forth. Another thing to note is that Forths tend to be highly idiosyncratic and zeptoforth is no exception to this. (There are two presently-relevant Forth standards, ANS Forth and Forth 200x, also known as Forth 2012, and zeptoforth makes no special effort to follow either of them, even though it has a COMPAT module just in case you want a number of standard words not included by default.)
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

I’ve submitted my Master’s thesis! Hopefully this should give me more time to work on stuff like the new Index Diachronica.

Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

bradrn wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:55 am I’ve submitted my Master’s thesis! Hopefully this should give me more time to work on stuff like the new Index Diachronica.
Congrats!
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

From me too!
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Thanks all!

Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I just fixed zeptoIP, after I had inadvertently broken in the middle of October with an otherwise innocuous change that modified token parsing. The real problem was that the part of the CYW43439 driver that includes the NVRAM contents made a key assumption about token parsing that my change affected, and I forgot to update it accordingly, resulting in the NVRAM being sent to the CYW43439 being corrupted. After fixing the NVRAM generation code, it now works again!
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I finally bit the bullet and officially released my IPv4 stack zeptoIP for the Raspberry Pi Pico W in release 1.3.0 of zeptoforth, rather than letting it sit in beta forever.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

My copy of Almea: Industrial Age arrived in the mail today! It's really neat.

Also, I finally got around to doing something I wanted to do for more than a month. It's amazing how fast you can make progress with something once you get yourself to actually do it!
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Now I've released zeptoforth 1.3.0.1, which includes a fix for F** (S31.32 ^ S31.32 fixed point exponentiation) and adds NET::WAIT-READY-ENDPOINT for waiting on specific endpoints.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I'm a day late to post this, but since the arrival of my mail yesterday, I've been basically done with Christmas shopping for this year.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

My dad and I watched Mad Max: Fury Road: Blood and Chrome Edition last night. It hits so much different in black-and-white…it has some kind of profundity to it. I kind of like the Monochrome Renaissance.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I have a working SNTP (Simple Network Time Protocol) client now!
Torco

Post by Torco »

Raphael wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:26 am I'm a day late to post this, but since the arrival of my mail yesterday, I've been basically done with Christmas shopping for this year.
i envy you
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Torco wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:53 am
Raphael wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:26 am I'm a day late to post this, but since the arrival of my mail yesterday, I've been basically done with Christmas shopping for this year.
i envy you
Well these days, I don't really know all that many people I'm close to in real life.