Russia invades Ukraine

Topics that can go away
hwhatting

Re: Russia invades Ukraine

Post by hwhatting »

Raphael wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:06 pm So, is Russia going to attack Moldova now?
In order to do that succesfully, he'd need the corridor Torco mentions. Of course, he can stir trouble or lob missiles at Moldova, but strategically it doesn't make sense - it would only be a diversion.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

And Putin has talked about how we're shortly before World War 3 again. Is it it this time?
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

Raphael wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:43 am And Putin has talked about how we're shortly before World War 3 again. Is it it this time?
My father would have said "Yes, it is. Will you stop fretting about that now?" He could be mean like that. ;-)
As this is one of the ways I've decided not to be like my father, here's what I think. Nobody can be 100% sure that Putin doesn't do what he says, but on past form, his sabre-rattling against the West, warning to use nukes, warning of taking the war to the West, have only been for show and an attempt to diminish the West's support for Ukraine. I don't see any reason to think it's different this time, and on past form, to take anything he says at face value. Honestly, I would be more likely to be scared if he'd say that he is in love with the the EU and NATO and would never think of attacking any of them - that might mean he's preparing something...
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

hwhatting wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:32 am
Raphael wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:43 am And Putin has talked about how we're shortly before World War 3 again. Is it it this time?
My father would have said "Yes, it is. Will you stop fretting about that now?" He could be mean like that. ;-)
As this is one of the ways I've decided not to be like my father, here's what I think. Nobody can be 100% sure that Putin doesn't do what he says, but on past form, his sabre-rattling against the West, warning to use nukes, warning of taking the war to the West, have only been for show and an attempt to diminish the West's support for Ukraine. I don't see any reason to think it's different this time, and on past form, to take anything he says at face value. Honestly, I would be more likely to be scared if he'd say that he is in love with the the EU and NATO and would never think of attacking any of them - that might mean he's preparing something...
I concur with you. Nobody can say for sure that Putin will not unleash World War III, but his behaviour up to this point seems to indicate that he probably won't. He is too coldly rational to do that. He knows that even without help from the United States, the European Union plus the United Kingdom would be too big an enemy for Russia. He has enough trouble in Ukraine - he expected to manage a quick coup d'état but ended up in a quagmire.

And Raphael has a tradition of Eddyfying about World War III in this thread ;)
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

The media being a little...overenthusiastic at times, I don't blame anyone for worrying.

Myself, I don't think WWIII is particularly likely. It looks more like Putin likes to periodically remind NATO that the MAD doctrine is still in full effect.