The "How Do You Pronounce X" Thread

Natural languages and linguistics
Space60

Re: The "How Do You Pronounce X" Thread

Post by Space60 »

Does anyone have an /l/ sound in "both" or "only" (before the /n/)? I don't have such myself but I've heard it. I think my brother has "olnly" for "only".
Znex

Post by Znex »

/l/ epenthesis does emerge often in American dialects, so far as I know, since /l/ is so strongly velarised it can easily be interchanged with the final glide in /-ʊ/ diphthongs.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Bolth I've heard from a fair number of speakers, but I don't have it myself. I'm trying to recall if I have any instances of hypercorrection since I'm much more likely to delete coda /l/ entirely (e.g. folk, yolk, walk).
Salmoneus

Post by Salmoneus »

Linguoboy wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:33 am Bolth I've heard from a fair number of speakers, but I don't have it myself. I'm trying to recall if I have any instances of hypercorrection since I'm much more likely to delete coda /l/ entirely (e.g. folk, yolk, walk).
...? Are you implying that some people insert /l/ even into words like folk, yolk and walk?

As a non-American, I can sort of imagine 'bolth', but 'folk', 'yolk' or 'walk' with an /l/ would just sound bizarre...
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

I've definitely heard both folk and yolk with /l/ before. The latter is common enough that Wiktionary lists it as an alternative US pronunciation.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I have heard of folk with /l/ myself, in the context of folk music (IIRC one of folk as in folk music and one of folk in other contexts often has /l/, but I cannot recall at the moment which is which).
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I do have to note that in the dialect here, /oʊ oʊl/ sound awfully similar, being [o oʊ] except before vowels and often word-finally, where both are [oʊ] and are distinguished only by that [oʊ] from /oʊ/ is not quite as far back as [oʊ] from /oʊl/.
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

Salmoneus wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:03 pm
Linguoboy wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:33 am Bolth I've heard from a fair number of speakers, but I don't have it myself. I'm trying to recall if I have any instances of hypercorrection since I'm much more likely to delete coda /l/ entirely (e.g. folk, yolk, walk).
...? Are you implying that some people insert /l/ even into words like folk, yolk and walk?

As a non-American, I can sort of imagine 'bolth', but 'folk', 'yolk' or 'walk' with an /l/ would just sound bizarre...
"folk" and "yolk" are common with /l/, yes. Probably much less so for "walk" ... there seems to be something special about the /ol/ sequence. But I think I remember this coming up before and one board member from Louisiana saying that he did have the /l/ in "walk", too.

Looking back it might be explained that "yolk" and "folk" have the [ʊ] element in the standard pronunciation, but "walk" never had any [ʊ], so there is no opportunity for a shift of /ʊ/ > /l/.
Salmoneus

Post by Salmoneus »

To be fair, 'balk' and 'baulk' sometimes have epenthetic /l/ in this country... and 'falcon' almost always does.
Raholeun

Post by Raholeun »

What about to sulk?
Zju

Post by Zju »

How do you pronounce -land when it's a suffix, or the second part of a placename? [lənd]? [lænd]? Something else?
/j/ <j>

Ɂaləɂahina asəkipaɂə ileku omkiroro salka.
Loɂ ɂerleku asəɂulŋusikraɂə seləɂahina əɂətlahɂun əiŋɂiɂŋa.
Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Zju wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:08 pmHow do you pronounce -land when it's a suffix, or the second part of a placename? [lənd]? [lænd]? Something else?
It depends on the placename. Maryland with /lɪn/ is a state on the Eastern Seaboard. Maryland with /lænd/ is some kind of Catholic-themed amusement park.
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

/lænd/ in all cases, but everyone looks weird at me when I use it for Maryland.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I pronounce -land in placenames with -/lənd/, which I realize as -[lɘ̃ːnt]~[lɘ̃ːnd]~[lɘ̃ːn]. (The vowel is identical with the stressed vowel /ɪ/ and is very distinct from the stressed vowel /ʌ/.)
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

Raholeun wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:01 pm What about to sulk?
I've never heard that without the L, since it'd collide with suck.
Zaarin

Post by Zaarin »

Travis B. wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:52 pm I have heard of folk with /l/ myself, in the context of folk music (IIRC one of folk as in folk music and one of folk in other contexts often has /l/, but I cannot recall at the moment which is which).
I have /l/ in folk music but not in other instances of folk. This is lexical for me: I don't have intrusive /l/ in other circumstances (unless you count words like almond and falcon which I have literally never heard without /l/).
Zju wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:08 pm How do you pronounce -land when it's a suffix, or the second part of a placename? [lənd]? [lænd]? Something else?
Like Linguoboy said, depends on the word. Maryland, England, Newfoundland have something like [ɫə͂ʔd̚]; Queensland, highland have something intermediary like [ɫɛ̃ʔd̚]; Swaziland and Zululand have [ɫænd̚].
But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me?
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?
jal

Post by jal »

Pabappa wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:49 pmthere seems to be something special about the /ol/ sequence
In Dutch, /ol/ [ɔl] was historically replaced by [ɔu] or [ʌu]. Also, word-final /əl/ sounds more like [ɔɫ], so /o/ and /l/ seem to have a special relationship...

JAL
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

/-lənd/ (maybe /-lɨnd/? I'm not sure) is the default, but Swaziland and Zululand take fully stressed /-lænd/.

Maryland is theoretically /merɨlənd/ but in practice is more like [me˞ːlən].
Space60 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:49 am Does anyone have an /l/ sound in "both" or "only" (before the /n/)? I don't have such myself but I've heard it. I think my brother has "olnly" for "only".
Common enough that someone a generation up from me once told me she was made fun of for *not* having l-insertion in "both". You can check Twitter for misspellings - "bolth" got a lot of results when I tried it.

The person in question did have long-distance assimilation of /əw/ to [o] in "social" -- where [o] is the expected realization of /əw/ immediately preceding /l/ -- and I'm not sure about "only". Another good test case would be "provolone".
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

Edit to my previous post: alternating with /ɐ/ in unstressed syllables
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Zaarin wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:35 pmLike Linguoboy said, depends on the word. Maryland, England, Newfoundland have something like [ɫə͂ʔd̚]; Queensland, highland have something intermediary like [ɫɛ̃ʔd̚]; Swaziland and Zululand have [ɫænd̚].
I think my distribution may be like Nortaneous': default /lənd/ (which will often be realised [ɫən ~ ɫɪn]) but Maryland is always [ɫɪn] because I'm subconsciously imitating my father's pronunciation (as with Baltimore and other local place names). Queensland and highland (and Zealand) group with established European names for me whereas I reserve /lænd/ for newer polities (Puntland), corporate names (like theme parks and retailers, e.g. Disneyland, Timberland), and metaphorical uses (e.g. limboland, Jesusland, woo-woo-land).