Tiffany problems

Topics that can go away
Moose-tache

Re: Tiffany problems

Post by Moose-tache »

If we assume Roentgen had a hand fetish, the time gap between the X-ray gun and the horny R-ray gun is zero.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

Sometimes a hand X-ray is just a hand x-ray.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I learned relatively recently that prefaces to books were already common in the first decades and generations after the introduction of movable type printing to Europe. Before I learned that, I would have guessed that they were a 19th century or perhaps an 18th century invention. Somehow, they "feel" so "modern" to me.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Henry IV, Part 1, Act III, Scene 1:
Shakespeare wrote: GLENDOWER: Why, I can teach you, cousin, to command the devil.
HOTSPUR: And I can teach thee, coz, to shame the devil [...]
I never expected 'coz' to date back to 1597. (Wiktionary also has a quote from Romeo and Juliet, in fact.)
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

bradrn wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:38 am I never expected 'coz' to date back to 1597. (Wiktionary also has a quote from Romeo and Juliet, in fact.)
Yes, Shakespeare uses it all the time. I must say that I've probably seen it more often in Shakespeare than in modern texts...
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

I just discovered the existence of Queen Roxana, died 310 BCE.

bradrn

Post by bradrn »

bradrn wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:38 am I never expected 'coz' to date back to 1597.
And now, a year later, I have the reverse example: ‘sibling’ dates all the way back to… 1903.

(Well, it had existed in Old English, but by Middle English it just meant ‘relative’, before dying out entirely. 1903 was when the Old English / modern meaning was re-introduced. Wang 2004 offers this quotation from as late as 1931: ‘The word “sib” or “sibling” is coming into use in genetics in the English-speaking world’.)

Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

bradrn wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 7:16 pm
bradrn wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:38 am I never expected 'coz' to date back to 1597.
And now, a year later, I have the reverse example: ‘sibling’ dates all the way back to… 1903.

(Well, it had existed in Old English, but by Middle English it just meant ‘relative’, before dying out entirely. 1903 was when the Old English / modern meaning was re-introduced. Wang 2004 offers this quotation from as late as 1931: ‘The word “sib” or “sibling” is coming into use in genetics in the English-speaking world’.)
I didn't know that!