Venting thread

Topics that can go away
xxx

Re: Venting thread

Post by xxx »

Raphael wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 7:09 am Who do you think has made a wrong move, and how?
it was only me who mistakenly deleted and rewrote my message...

Post by Raphael »

xxx wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 11:39 am
Raphael wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 7:09 am Who do you think has made a wrong move, and how?
it was only me who mistakenly deleted and rewrote my message...
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Vent: Cleaning and packing is soooooo draining...
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
malloc

Post by malloc »

Some really worrying health news. Several months ago I noticed a small bump on my belly, about three millimeters in diameter. Initially I dismissed it and assumed it would disappear on its own, but it has not. Now before you scream at me to see a doctor, I must emphasize that it will cost thousands of dollars and numerous visits to get it investigated. I need good reason to believe that it truly is dangerous to justify wiping out my savings or even going into debt.
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
Koomát terratomít juneeratu!
Anti-TESCREAL Action | He/him
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

malloc wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 8:26 pm Some really worrying health news. Several months ago I noticed a small bump on my belly, about three millimeters in diameter. Initially I dismissed it and assumed it would disappear on its own, but it has not. Now before you scream at me to see a doctor, I must emphasize that it will cost thousands of dollars and numerous visits to get it investigated. I need good reason to believe that it truly is dangerous to justify wiping out my savings or even going into debt.
And I would say that a three mm diameter bump is probably not worth going to the doctor over in absence of any other sign. It is probably simply a wart, and if it worries you so, there are over-the-counter products to get rid of them (but honestly I wouldn't bother).
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
malloc

Post by malloc »

Based on some cursory google searching, it sounds rather like basal cell carcinoma. That said, I have an annual checkup in the coming months so perhaps I should wait until then to ask about it.
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
Koomát terratomít juneeratu!
Anti-TESCREAL Action | He/him
alice

Post by alice »

malloc wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 11:27 am Based on some cursory google searching, it sounds rather like basal cell carcinoma. That said, I have an annual checkup in the coming months so perhaps I should wait until then to ask about it.
Be aware that any amount, howerver small, of searching of any kind relating to symptoms will convince you that you're in imminent danger of a horrible and painful death from all kings of horrible things you never even heard of, never mind thought you'd ever catch.
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

FWIW, a while ago, when I got my first wart in a long time, I was worried enough that I showed it to my doctor, and she took one close look at it and said "ah yes, that's a wart". Then again, from what I've heard about US healthcare, that might well have cost me a few grand over in the US.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

malloc wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 11:27 am Based on some cursory google searching, it sounds rather like basal cell carcinoma. That said, I have an annual checkup in the coming months so perhaps I should wait until then to ask about it.
Obviously you suffer from that fatal disease, WebMD syndrome. But seriously, it is a wart until a doctor tells you otherwise. And if it really is a basal cell carcinoma, it is not going to kill you in a few months.
alice

Post by alice »

Does anyone else here want to hunt down and inflict severe pain upon whoever decided to put "n" and "m" together on the keynoard?
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

alice wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 2:22 pm keynoard
LOL.
alice

Post by alice »

Travis B. wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 2:23 pm
alice wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 2:22 pm keynoard
LOL.
Of course, I meant keymoard. See what I mean?
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I was just about to go to bed, and then I suddenly started to feel really very awake.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Feeling kinda restless. Not sure what to do. Ran out of old entertainments, and didn't find any new ones yet.
Torco

Post by Torco »

Raphael wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 6:38 am Feeling kinda restless. Not sure what to do. Ran out of old entertainments, and didn't find any new ones yet.
me tbh
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Someone wants to pay me to take a project on for them, outside of my normal day job. However, it is completely out of my ballpark (as it requires more a hardware engineer who happens to know how to program rather than a programmer who happens to be able to wire stuff up and do trivial soldering jobs like me). Furthermore, if I accepted, I would almost certainly run into all kinds of tax law issues (e.g. hiring a tax person who will advise me on income taxes on this kind of thing) that would probably negate what I would net out of the project (because I would have to pay the tax person in the first place).
Torco

Post by Torco »

I'd recommend charging him a lot, hiring whoever you need to, and pocket a nice profit. if he goes "damn, too expensive" you can explain that this is not, in fact, something you can easily do, but you're willing to try anyway. it's either good bizniz or no bizniz.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Torco wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 12:06 pm I'd recommend charging him a lot, hiring whoever you need to, and pocket a nice profit. if he goes "damn, too expensive" you can explain that this is not, in fact, something you can easily do, but you're willing to try anyway. it's either good bizniz or no bizniz.
The big thing is the whole project is outside my competencies. It asks for a knowledgeable hardware engineer, something I am not. The guy did not even say he already had a spec written down, meaning I would have to work with him (and bill him) to draw one out. But for this kind of thing I would not know where to start on creating a spec.

I do know a guy (who is a hardware engineer) who, from talking with him, said that at a time in the past he'd jump on this sort of project. But he's now retired and works on hardware projects as a personal hobby now, and has no interest in taking commissions these days.
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Travis B. wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 9:09 pm
Torco wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 12:06 pm I'd recommend charging him a lot, hiring whoever you need to, and pocket a nice profit. if he goes "damn, too expensive" you can explain that this is not, in fact, something you can easily do, but you're willing to try anyway. it's either good bizniz or no bizniz.
The big thing is the whole project is outside my competencies. It asks for a knowledgeable hardware engineer, something I am not. The guy did not even say he already had a spec written down, meaning I would have to work with him (and bill him) to draw one out. But for this kind of thing I would not know where to start on creating a spec.

I do know a guy (who is a hardware engineer) who, from talking with him, said that at a time in the past he'd jump on this sort of project. But he's now retired and works on hardware projects as a personal hobby now, and has no interest in taking commissions these days.
Do you have to take that job, if you are not the right person to do it? Why don't you just turn it down?
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

WeepingElf wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 11:58 am
Travis B. wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 9:09 pm

Do you have to take that job, if you are not the right person to do it? Why don't you just turn it down?
I did turn it down, and I explained the above as why.