Conlang Random Thread

Conworlds and conlangs
jal

Re: Conlang Random Thread

Post by jal »

One should not try to engage with xxx and hope to get any meaningful answer. I won't say they're a troll, but it's a thin thread they walk on...

JAL
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

jal wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 2:58 am One should not try to engage with xxx and hope to get any meaningful answer. I won't say they're a troll, but it's a thin thread they walk on...

JAL
Concurred.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
xxx

Post by xxx »

keenir wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 10:04 am btw, I notice you now have a Footer - and many congrats for that
xxx wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 4:55 pm thank you...

Post by keenir »

I suppose I'm hoping that the answer regarding xxx's conscript is different from xxx's conlang.
xxx wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 4:43 am
keenir wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 10:04 am btw, I notice you now have a Footer - and many congrats for that
xxx wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 4:55 pm thank you...[/i][/b]
ah, thank you for clarifying. now, can you please answer my question regarding your script?
xxx

Post by xxx »

keenir wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 5:39 am I suppose I'm hoping that the answer regarding xxx's conscript is different from xxx's conlang.
nope it's 3SDeductiveLanguage(1Sense=1Sign=1Sound)

Post by keenir »

xxx wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 6:02 am
keenir wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 5:39 am I suppose I'm hoping that the answer regarding xxx's conscript is different from xxx's conlang.
nope it's 3SDeductiveLanguage(1Sense=1Sign=1Sound)
xxx

Post by xxx »

both, as mentioned...

Post by keenir »

xxx wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 2:02 pm both, as mentioned...
aahhhhhh...as it happens, it seems that neither one of us was paying attention at this: you may not have noticed the question when I asked it, and I misremembered my own question, so you gave the right answer{a saddening answer, mind} to the wrong question.

my question was this:
btw, I notice you now have a Footer - and many congrats for that, btw. Does this mean that, in at least your 3SD conscript, there is a correspondance between a given sign/glyph, and something else in 3SD ? (a sound, a meme, a thought, a series of flashing lights?)

This is entirely separate from whether any words in 3SD have corresponding words or concepts in non-3SD languages (which you've already abundantly answered)
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Ah. A paragraph break might be clearer.
keenir

Post by keenir »

Man in Space wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 5:22 pm Ah. A paragraph break might be clearer.
I should be clear too: this latest question started from me once more looking at the 3SDassociated picture with the 3SD-script in it, and I went from thinking about the mention of it and the Breton revival...

...and then my brain abruptly switched over to thinking about some of the times that I had tried to fashion a conscript for a Piraha-inspired people: like Piraha and Icelandic, they kept what was theirs, and stayed with their language&script and their language&script only.

And thats when it hit me: even if 3SD changes what it corresponds to in English glosses & translations...perhaps it is not so mutable and mercurial internally, with correpondances between the 3SD script and the 3SD lang itself.

Does that make sense? That was the train of thought I used, at any rate.
xxx

Post by xxx »

keenir wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 6:09 pm correpondances between the 3SD script and the 3SD lang itself.
yes, once again, 3SDL stands for deductive language where 1Sense=1Sign=1Sound...

Post by keenir »

xxx wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 2:33 am
keenir wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 6:09 pm correpondances between the 3SD script and the 3SD lang itself.
yes, once again, 3SDL stands for deductive language where 1Sense=1Sign=1Sound...

You've said that the translation always changes with every post, every line, every thought. So I'm not asking about the name or the translations. I'm asking if, say c¹¸.ª¹ in the 3SDL language always has the same sign or glyph in the 3SDL script, no matter when or where it is written.

Okay? I'm asking if 3SDL is internally consistent, even if it is mutable and mercurial when it is working with non-3SDL language or scripts.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

keenir wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 3:58 am I'm asking if, say c¹¸.ª¹ in the 3SDL language always has the same sign or glyph in the 3SDL script, no matter when or where it is written.

Okay? I'm asking if 3SDL is internally consistent, even if it is mutable and mercurial when it is working with non-3SDL language or scripts.
We’ve tried to work this one out before, without much success. I wish you luck.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
keenir

Post by keenir »

bradrn wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 4:07 am
keenir wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 3:58 am I'm asking if, say c¹¸.ª¹ in the 3SDL language always has the same sign or glyph in the 3SDL script, no matter when or where it is written.

We’ve tried to work this one out before, without much success. I wish you luck.
Many thanks.

It may turn out to be a hair too fine to split, but I figured it was worth a try to spell it out and ask...because if it does turn out to be externally mercurial and internally stable, imho that'd be pretty cool and interesting. Also, the process of asking and spelling it out, has helped me with trying to work out how such a thing would work (offline on some pages) no matter what xxx's reply is.
xxx

Post by xxx »

this is not the purpose...
if there is only one path, each journey has its own way of following it...
so that I can't guess it without crossing it again...
Last edited by xxx on Wed Aug 07, 2024 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

keenir wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 4:33 am It may turn out to be a hair too fine to split
Not really, no: internal consistency is pretty much the minimal requirement for any kind of system of communication. It’s just that getting anything sensible out of xxx is exceedingly difficult (as evidenced by, for instance, his last reply).
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
xxx

Post by xxx »

a conlang is not a communication system,
for me it's more an experiment in philosophy of language...

Post by Raphael »

xxx wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 5:37 am a conlang is not a communication system,
But is what you're doing a conlang at all? Or is it just you typing random character sequences?
salem

Post by salem »

Raphael wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 6:09 am
xxx wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 5:37 am a conlang is not a communication system,
But is what you're doing a conlang at all? Or is it just you typing random character sequences?
I don't think xxx is just keysmashing. If you look at his postings in the conlang fluency thread, though he doesn't separate out individual morphemes in any way, repeated elements are still sometimes identifiable.

u¼wÁ½ZuÉu¼lwÁ`uɂº¸»ëÍM¸ÁwsÉZ>º
(men of many places and living as men of one place, this life given by network transporting voice and vision)

and both appear twice in the text, and assuming his glossing style has everything in order, they seem to correspond to 'men' and 'place(s)' respectively.

mÀƒ±XÄlÂlÀSF±T
(you not having to understand words of mine and going now)
mÀ¶7±XÄmÀ¶Gº
(you having not to see you under)

Two separate posts (on the same day, in the same thread), three instances of in the text, all glossed as 'you'.

kodo eke akiigo goe
(our position of necessity of speaking now)
xy haw qwawax waw’w xwq wqy
(me not knowing name of this language)

These two are from ten days apart, and clearly don't use the same orthography, but it's notable that both at least have word spacing and aren't full of random special characters. The second even seems to be basically 1:1 with its gloss, though the first is less clear.

My overall impression is that xxx makes his language impenetrable on purpose, for I assume personal reasons, but it still seems to me to be an actual structured conlang.
xxx

Post by xxx »

Indeed, not being able to read it
forces me to recompose the meaning,
each time...