The Contradictory Feelings Thread

Topics that can go away
Travis B.

Re: The Contradictory Feelings Thread

Post by Travis B. »

Richard W wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 9:19 am
Travis B. wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 9:39 pm Fixed a major bug in zeptoforth and made a new release incorporating the fix, zeptoforth 1.6.4.2. Thing is, it was a really stupid bug that I should never had made, because it was neglecting to take leap months into account for months (but taking them into account for years) when converting dates from seconds since midnight 1 January 1970 to a time and date. I only caught this when playing around with using NTP to set times and dates for files, because this year happens to be a leap year.
Where you should have found a standard test suite for this? I feel there ought to be one, and I too would have a use for it.
I should write automated test suites more than I do. Last time I tested this was before the end of February this year, so in the piece of code this bug affected the bug did not manifest itself.
Richard W wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 9:19 am I take it you're using the standard convention of every day being 86,400 seconds long, even when its longer? (I assume you're treating daylight-saving times as something on top, along with the ambiguity of 1:30 a.m. I like watching my radio-controlled analogue-display clock when the clocks change on a Sunday morning. It takes a couple of rests when the clock goes back, which it implements as going forwards 23 hours.) Do you support UTC?
All times I am using are UTC except that I am not factoring in leap seconds.
Richard W wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 9:19 am Am I the only one who is unsure what the date is one minute after 'midnight 1 January 1970'? I don't think I am, as my car insurance regularly expires at 23:59, though I suspect it's still in force at 23:59:52.
Yeah, stuff like this can be troublesome in reality.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Richard W

Post by Richard W »

Travis B. wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 2:34 pm All times I am using are UTC except that I am not factoring in leap seconds.
So no, you don't support UTC! When first converting a time since as seconds since some epoch, I got very worried about obtaining and maintaining a list of leap seconds. It feels like no-one factors them in - or do some European navies acknowledge them?
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Richard W wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 4:35 pm
Travis B. wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 2:34 pm All times I am using are UTC except that I am not factoring in leap seconds.
So no, you don't support UTC! When first converting a time since as seconds since some epoch, I got very worried about obtaining and maintaining a list of leap seconds. It feels like no-one factors them in - or do some European navies acknowledge them?
The reason for this is that the RTC on the microcontroller I am using does not support leap seconds, and I would have to either use the RTC interrupt to implement it, which would deny the use of the RTC interrupt to applications or at least require chaining interrupt handlers, or I would have to implement a task that would adjust the RTC, which would be undesirable for its own reasons.
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Contradictory: I'm moving in two weeks, at long last! ...but... I'M MOVING IN TWO WEEKS SO MUCH TO DO SO MUCH TO FINISH SO MUCH TO CANCEL AAAAAAAH
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

doctor shark wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 2:44 am Contradictory: I'm moving in two weeks, at long last! ...but... I'M MOVING IN TWO WEEKS SO MUCH TO DO SO MUCH TO FINISH SO MUCH TO CANCEL AAAAAAAH
Good luck! I think you got this.
kodé

Post by kodé »

Raphael wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 6:07 am
doctor shark wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 2:44 am Contradictory: I'm moving in two weeks, at long last! ...but... I'M MOVING IN TWO WEEKS SO MUCH TO DO SO MUCH TO FINISH SO MUCH TO CANCEL AAAAAAAH
Good luck! I think you got this.
Definitely. Bon courage !
xxx

Post by xxx »

the only thing I know about Luxembourg is the long lines of cars at gas stations...

Post by Travis B. »

The plus: I have finished my ST7789V driver with 8-bit color (16-bit color would require too big of a framebuffer)!

The minus: My Tufty 2040 has to come all the way from the UK, so I will be anxiously waiting for it to arrive before I can try out my driver.
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

My apartment is almost all packed up and cleaned, and I'm leaving tomorrow.
aka vampireshark
xxx

Post by xxx »

doctor shark wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2024 4:05 pm My apartment is almost all packed up and cleaned, and I'm leaving tomorrow.
the satisfaction of a job well done...

Post by Raphael »

Did you arrive well at your new place, doctor shark?
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

I'm, indeed, in Luxembourg! Of course, lots of settling and discombobulating to be done... but the important thing (the move) is taken care of.
aka vampireshark
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

doctor shark wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 4:25 am I'm, indeed, in Luxembourg! Of course, lots of settling and discombobulating to be done... but the important thing (the move) is taken care of.
Do you perhaps want to un-discombobulate yourself, rather? Either way, best wishes!

For myself, I flew back to Australia last week. Coming back home has felt very weird… I considered posting here, but was too discombobulated on my own part to actually get around to doing it.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Gi
bradrn wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 4:30 am
doctor shark wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 4:25 am I'm, indeed, in Luxembourg! Of course, lots of settling and discombobulating to be done... but the important thing (the move) is taken care of.
Do you perhaps want to un-discombobulate yourself, rather? Either way, best wishes!

For myself, I flew back to Australia last week. Coming back home has felt very weird… I considered posting here, but was too discombobulated on my own part to actually get around to doing it.
Given the state of my unpacking after Monday's events, it's probably both a degree of discombobulation and un-discombobulation. (Yay!)

But it feels great, yet surreal, to be back in the Grand Duchy. And understandable that you feel strange with returning to Australia: I had it each time I returned to the US after various travels for varying length of time and with varying degrees of severity. (Perhaps why I ended up back in Europe...)
aka vampireshark
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

More moving stuff: Stuff is going very well! I have internet in my lair (at last), I have an IKEA order to pick up tomorrow for some furniture to better equip my place (some bookshelves and cabinets, among other things), things are progressing for the post-arrival formalities, and I officially start my new position on Thursday. (Or, rather, Friday.)

However, it's hot. Really hot. (Upwards of 30ºC.) It's been quite hot since the day I left the Netherlands, actually! This means just going outside is draining... it's supposed to cool off Thursday, but I'll believe it when it happens.

Also, there are some future/former coworkers I'm really not looking forward to dealing with. One of them ostensibly speaks five or six languages, but is barely comprehensible regardless of whichever language she uses. (I speak to her in French, but even that's a struggle.) The other has... quite deficient social skills, to put it mildly. Alas, though, I chose to return to the group...
aka vampireshark
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

As annoying as I find the prospect of lingering health problems due to my repeated bouts with COVID, I have to remind myself that in previous pandemics we didn't have this problem because people who got sick mostly just died.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Over the course of the last few days, the summer-like weather probably ended for good for this year where I live.

Good: It's no longer sweltering in the apartment.

Bad: Everything is going to get colder brrr.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

It cooled off earlier in September here in WI, but it warmed up again and it's been in high 70's/low 80's for about the last week.
TomHChappell

Post by TomHChappell »

In SouthEastern Michigan it has warmed up again for the past few days, with lows between the high 50s and the high 60s, and highs in the mid 80s.