Happy things thread!

Topics that can go away
doctor shark

Re: Happy things thread!

Post by doctor shark »

MacAnDàil wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 11:14 am That's cool. I got married on Friday.
Félicitations!
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Belated question for WeepingElf: Who is hiring apprentices in their 50s?

MacAnDàil wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 11:14 am
That's cool. I got married on Friday.
Congratulations!
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

MacAnDàil wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 11:14 am That's cool. I got married on Friday.
Congratulations!
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

Thanks to all your congratulations!
WeepingElf wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 3:50 pm
MacAnDàil wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 11:14 am
WeepingElf wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 6:05 am I have been invited to an interview at the library where I had applied for an apprenticeship. (Yes, it seems somewhat odd to apply for an apprenticeship in one's 50s. But I had to quit my old profession for health reasons, and the only alternatives would be cleaning rooms, delivering parcels, or the like.)
Viel Glück damit!
It turned out that it wasn't the right thing for me, and I withdrew my application.
Oh why not?
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

MacAnDàil wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 9:51 am Thanks to all your congratulations!
MacAnDàil wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 11:14 am Viel Glück damit!
It turned out that it wasn't the right thing for me, and I withdrew my application.
Oh why not?
I'm not going to elaborate here, but it has to do with my autism-spectrum condition.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
TomHChappell

Post by TomHChappell »

WeepingElf wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 12:55 pm
MacAnDàil wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 9:51 am Thanks to all your congratulations!

Oh why not?
I'm not going to elaborate here, but it has to do with my autism-spectrum condition.
At 72, I’ve thought about going back to university, or dating, but for reasons I suspect are similar to yours, I’m still hesitating.
(For instance I’m AuDHD.)
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

I was able to make it to the studio today, and I recorded some demos of some of the synths (two vintage Casio keyboards and a Moog Grandmother with three books’ worth of patches).
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

A new Raspberry Pi microcontroller board, the Raspberry Pi Pico 2, is coming out, and it includes a new microcontroller, the RP2350, which I am determined to port zeptoforth to, to be the first Forth to support it.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I have made a lot of progress in just three days with my port of zeptoforth to the RP2350. I have now ported most of the functionality inherited from the RP2040, aside from the RTC, support for which has been dropped by the RP2350.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Did a practice soldering job on one of my unsoldered Raspberry Pi Pico W's to see how I could do it, after having not soldered anything for a bit, prior to the arrival of my new Raspberry Pi Pico 2's, and it came out decently (yes, one of the pins does have a glob of solder on it, but it doesn't look like it's bridged with the adjacent pin).
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Woot! I as of yesterday night reached a major milestone with zeptoforth on the RP2350 (i.e. the Raspberry Pi Pico 2) -- I can now build a mini build from source without any issues, and with that mini build I can run tasks alongside the main task without running into any issues, including with multicore.

For instance, I can now execute the following:

Code: Select all

0 :noname begin ." *" 250 ms again ; 320 256 512 1 task::spawn-on-core task::run
and it spits out an asterisk to the serial console once every 250 ms.

Of course, before I can sign off on the code it will need more testing than this, but I now feel comfortable calling the code "alpha" quality at this point.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Now not only does zeptoforth on the RP2350 not crash on boot if you do a full or full_usb build, but with full_usb builds the USB CDC console is working without a hitch!
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Happy: I came across the e-mail address for my elementary school German teacher a while back, and I was interested in reaching out to her to say "hello"... granted, it's been 20+ years since I last saw her, but I wanted to let her know what an influence she was on me returning to Europe. Part of me didn't want to write to her in English, though, despite the fact that's what she now does; I wanted to write in German. And my German is really quite rusty and not very good, especially now that I have extra influence from Dutch kicking in ("is this word Dutch? German? Luxembourgish? Something else?"). But, after a while of waffling, I went, screw it, I'm going to give this a try. No Google Translate: just a dictionary. I agonized over the e-mail for a few days, then got to something I was reasonably happy with and pressed "send".

I got a response, and it was very positive, saying, "wow, your German is great" and "how did you find me?". So I think I've re-established contact; I sent another e-mail, and maybe I have someone else to visit once I'm back in the Nürnberg area...

Other happy: I successfully surprised a coworker for their birthday. They were quite happy. :)
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
xxx

Post by xxx »

happiness is only in details,
we forget when we're sad,
every moment is here for us a smile,
just believe...
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Raphael wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 6:09 am Belated question for WeepingElf: Who is hiring apprentices in their 50s?
Belated answer: Nobody! They did not frankly say so in the interview, but it turned out in its course that it made little sense, and after talking about it with my social advisor, I retracted my application.
My conlang pages
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

WeepingElf wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 4:07 am
Raphael wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 6:09 am Belated question for WeepingElf: Who is hiring apprentices in their 50s?
Belated answer: Nobody! They did not frankly say so in the interview, but it turned out in its course that it made little sense, and after talking about it with my social advisor, I retracted my application.
Ouch! Sorry to hear.
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Raphael wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 6:48 am
Ouch! Sorry to hear.
Well, the door that fell shut was one through which I would not pass. It felt a bit like the moment my PhD supervisor died, and thus my thesis, which was bound to fail anyway, died as well.
My conlang pages
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

WeepingElf wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 7:36 am
Raphael wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 6:48 am

Ouch! Sorry to hear.
Well, the door that fell shut was one through which I would not pass. It felt a bit like the moment my PhD supervisor died, and thus my thesis, which was bound to fail anyway, died as well.
That's a double shame. What was it about? Was it not possible for another professor to take over?
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

MacAnDàil wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 9:02 am Was it not possible for another professor to take over?
As WeepingElf put it, "which was bound to fail anyway", so I suspect it wouldn't have worked out under another professor, either.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

doctor shark wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 4:27 pm But, after a while of waffling, I went, screw it, I'm going to give this a try. No Google Translate: just a dictionary. I agonized over the e-mail for a few days, then got to something I was reasonably happy with and pressed "send".

I got a response, and it was very positive, saying, "wow, your German is great" and "how did you find me?". So I think I've re-established contact; I sent another e-mail, and maybe I have someone else to visit once I'm back in the Nürnberg area...
Glad to hear that!