Sound Change Quickie Thread

Conworlds and conlangs
spindlestar

Re: Sound Change Quickie Thread

Post by spindlestar »

I'm fascinated that the ːʔ seems odd! It feels like the most natural way of simplifying the VhhV cluster to me (in a two step process, where I think the order is probably Vh > Vː, VːhV > VːʔV), but I'm suddenly wondering if that has anything to do with the fact that my dialect of English is one that glottalizes some intervocalic consonants, which I know isn't common in others...
she/her or he/him
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

spindlestar wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 4:03 pm I'm working on mangling some morphological boundaries and currently have the following system for getting rid of /h/:
  • Ph > Pʰ | stops become aspirated
  • Nh > Nː | nasals become geminated (complete assimilation)
  • hh > ːʔ | second h becomes a glottal stop; first h vanishes, vowel before takes compensatory lengthening
  • Vh > Vː | h vanishes, vowel before takes compensatory lengthening
...all of which are unremarkable. the ones I'm wavering on are the liquids and glides:
  • my instinct is to have a lateral fricativize, lh > ɬ
  • and I would like to have that be a pattern, so that /r/, /j/, and /w/ also fricativize. currently, the closest representations I can determine for what my tongue wants to do with that is rh > ʐ — jh > ç — wh > ɸ
...but i'd love a reality check on how plausible that feels, particularly with regard to what feels like somewhat inconsistent voicing shifts.
Might I suggest hh > any of x χ ħ ?
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

h.h > :.h > :.0 > :.?

seems fine

every language has one or two deeply silly sound changes. it's still unknown whether PIE *sw- > Albanian v- (vs. *s- > gj-) as in vajzë or d- as in diell, but either one would be unacceptable in a conlang. I think it's fine if a diachronic conlang has one or two sound changes that don't quite make sense - probably more realistic than not assuming the rest is done well
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Travis B. wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 12:29 pm
spindlestar wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 4:03 pm I'm working on mangling some morphological boundaries and currently have the following system for getting rid of /h/:
  • Ph > Pʰ | stops become aspirated
  • Nh > Nː | nasals become geminated (complete assimilation)
  • hh > ːʔ | second h becomes a glottal stop; first h vanishes, vowel before takes compensatory lengthening
  • Vh > Vː | h vanishes, vowel before takes compensatory lengthening
...all of which are unremarkable. the ones I'm wavering on are the liquids and glides:
  • my instinct is to have a lateral fricativize, lh > ɬ
  • and I would like to have that be a pattern, so that /r/, /j/, and /w/ also fricativize. currently, the closest representations I can determine for what my tongue wants to do with that is rh > ʐ — jh > ç — wh > ɸ
...but i'd love a reality check on how plausible that feels, particularly with regard to what feels like somewhat inconsistent voicing shifts.
Might I suggest hh > any of x χ ħ ?
Makes sense to me. I therefore second this suggestion.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
ophois

Post by ophois »

Nortaneous wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 4:43 pm h.h > :.h > :.0 > :.?

seems fine

every language has one or two deeply silly sound changes. it's still unknown whether PIE *sw- > Albanian v- (vs. *s- > gj-) as in vajzë or d- as in diell, but either one would be unacceptable in a conlang. I think it's fine if a diachronic conlang has one or two sound changes that don't quite make sense - probably more realistic than not assuming the rest is done well
*sw- > v-, I can see (w- > v- is very common and the deletion of *s could trigger frication of *w to compensate). *sw- > d- on the other hand... (Also, Sembla underwent f > d, as per the ID, which might be related and serves as an additional example of a silly sound change).
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

This only makes sense if A) hiatus is forbidden, and new hiatuses have [ʔ] inserted in them and B) VhV > VʔV.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Travis B. wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 6:34 pm
This only makes sense if A) hiatus is forbidden, and new hiatuses have [ʔ] inserted in them and B) VhV > VʔV.
It does sound like this is the case. In that situation I agree that this is plausible.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Ahzoh

Post by Ahzoh »

/hː/ > /ːʔ/ is plenty plausible.

There is also the route of the elision of "weak consonants" like glides and glottal following a consonant and lengthening previous vowel as happened in Akkadian.

C{j,w,h,ʔ} > ːC

This rule combined with /h/ becoming /ʔ/ under some post-consonantal condition could lead to /hː/ > /ːʔ/
Raholeun

Post by Raholeun »

I am undecisive on how innovate /ɰ/. Either through sonorizing lenition of velars *ŋ, *k, *h~ɦ, or alternatively loss of syllable final *h, or both in fact.
Emily

Post by Emily »

most obvious routes to me are lenited /ɣ/ or delabialized /w/
Zju

Post by Zju »

Raholeun wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 12:14 pm I am undecisive on how innovate /ɰ/. Either through sonorizing lenition of velars *ŋ, *k, *h~ɦ, or alternatively loss of syllable final *h, or both in fact.
/l/ → /ɫ/ / _C, _V[-front]
/ɫ/ → /ɰ/
/j/ <j>

Ɂaləɂahina asəkipaɂə ileku omkiroro salka.
Loɂ ɂerleku asəɂulŋusikraɂə seləɂahina əɂətlahɂun əiŋɂiɂŋa.
Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Raholeun wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 12:14 pm I am undecisive on how innovate /ɰ/. Either through sonorizing lenition of velars *ŋ, *k, *h~ɦ, or alternatively loss of syllable final *h, or both in fact.
Like what Zju said, in the dialect of English here [ɰ] is simply from ɫ > ɰ / C_V (postvocalically and intervocalically it is more open and assimilates to preceding vowels' rounding to a degree, word-initially it is in variation with [ʟ̞] depending on stress and carefulness, and when geminate it is [ʟ̞ː], including across word boundaries). Historical [ɫ] is from /l/, of course.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Basically an unrounded take on the case of Polish graphemic ł?
fusijui

Post by fusijui »

I love seeing the differences among how we suggest one option or approach over another :) For me, sourcing it from a velar nasal immediately seemed like "the most straightforward approach". The others feel kind of exotic and dubious! ;)
Darren

Post by Darren »

k → ɰ by lenition is far from exotic – it happened in Spanish.

/ˈfokus/ → [ˈfu̯eɰo]
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Man in Space wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 5:44 pm Basically an unrounded take on the case of Polish graphemic ł?
Yeah. I sometimes wonder whether this pronunciation here in Milwaukee developed under Polish influence, considering the amount of Polish settlement here, but it's probably just a coincidence.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Darren wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 4:04 pm k → ɰ by lenition is far from exotic – it happened in Spanish.

/ˈfokus/ → [ˈfu̯eɰo]
Of course, this can be posited as part of a series of changes k > ɡ > ɣ > ɰ, which is far more plausible than a direct change of k > ɰ without the intermediate steps.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Travis B. wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 10:26 pm
Man in Space wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 5:44 pm Basically an unrounded take on the case of Polish graphemic ł?
Yeah. I sometimes wonder whether this pronunciation here in Milwaukee developed under Polish influence, considering the amount of Polish settlement here, but it's probably just a coincidence.
Perhaps, but Australian English has /l/-vocalisation too, and I’m not aware of any Polish influence here. I believe it’s pretty widespread across many English dialects.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

bradrn wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 10:29 pm
Perhaps, but Australian English has /l/-vocalisation too, and I’m not aware of any Polish influence here. I believe it’s pretty widespread across many English dialects.
/l/-vocalization is common in English dialects, but what people seem to find notable about /l/-vocalization in Milwaukee dialect is that it occurs not just in codas but also intervocalically and even in onsets.
Darren

Post by Darren »

Travis B. wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 10:39 pm
bradrn wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 10:29 pm

/l/-vocalization is common in English dialects, but what people seem to find notable about /l/-vocalization in Milwaukee dialect is that it occurs not just in codas but also intervocalically and even in onsets.
l > i unconditionally is attested in Central Papuan languages.