Pretistelen Mega-Project

Conworlds and conlangs
vergil

Pretistelen Mega-Project

Post by vergil »

Finally finished this beast, one of the daughter langs of a conlang I've been working on for some time.

Thoughts? I'm mostly worried about its differences with its original language, Pretistelen (link in the doc): I'm good with sound changes, but not really with morphosyntactic changes.
Qwynegold

Re: Pretistelen Mega-Project

Post by Qwynegold »

I just glanced through, but it looks very well organized. I'll give some of my thoughts.

<oy> can be either /ø/ or /oy/. Is this intentional?

Some of the diphthongs are quite awkward, especially /oy/ and /ay/. But I guess some language has to have them. ;)

Are doubled consonants geminates?

In the morphology section you could maybe explain a little more what the different things are used for. For example the intensifier, what is that really?

When doing interlinears, you could add a one more line between the first and second, where you divide the conwords into their constituent morphemes.

I think the words themselves are generally quite pretty or interesting. My favorites are ethyr and tértértolostan
My latest quiz:
[https://www.jetpunk.com/user-quizzes/25 ... -kaupungit]Kuvavisa: Pohjois-Amerikan suurimmat D:llä alkavat kaupungit[/url]
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

Qwynegold wrote:Some of the diphthongs are quite awkward, especially /oy/ and /ay/. But I guess some language has to have them. ;)
German has /ɔʏ/.

Also, good stuff! I'd like to see more of it with more detail.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
Qwynegold

Post by Qwynegold »

mèþru wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:42 pmGerman has /ɔʏ/.
Oh, that's right. Ew.

Btw, do you happen to know of e.g. any YouTube clip where I can listen to people using this diphthong? Because all I ever hear is [oi]. :?
My latest quiz:
[https://www.jetpunk.com/user-quizzes/25 ... -kaupungit]Kuvavisa: Pohjois-Amerikan suurimmat D:llä alkavat kaupungit[/url]
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

Pretty much anyone speaking German Standard German without regionalisms will do, as will the German voice in Google Translate
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
vergil

Post by vergil »

Thanks for the feedback!
Yes, doubled consonants are supposed to be geminates. [ø] will probly get represented as <oý> or <oŷ> (depending on length), but on the other hand [ay], [ey], and [oy] have virtually never actually come up (at least so far), so such a change may not be necessary.
Qwynegold

Post by Qwynegold »

mèþru wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:55 pm Pretty much anyone speaking German Standard German without regionalisms will do, as will the German voice in Google Translate
Really? Huh, that explains it then.
My latest quiz:
evmdbm

Post by evmdbm »

I like this, but wow are the verbs highly inflected - Ancient Greek but worse! Very well set out too. I wonder if the necessitive mood is ripe for merger with the subjunctive if the only difference is vowel length?