Happy things thread!

Topics that can go away
alynnidalar

Re: Happy things thread!

Post by alynnidalar »

Last day of work before vacation, my coworker brought in AMAZING baked goods, and I found a catsitter!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Congratulations!
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

A friend made a grammar-peeving post on Facebook and I braced myself for a wave of ignorant complaints and condemnations but the discussion has actually been very good. I even got complimented on my excrescent t's, which I'm pretty sure is not something which has ever happened before ever.
Salmoneus

Post by Salmoneus »

Linguoboy wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:45 pm my excrescent t's
?
alice

Post by alice »

Salmoneus wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:04 pm
Linguoboy wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:45 pm my excrescent t's
?
!
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

E.g. [əˈkʰɹɒst] for across.

I also have a tendency to confuse worse and worst.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Linguoboy wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:03 pm E.g. [əˈkʰɹɒst] for across.

I also have a tendency to confuse worse and worst.
I am used to the opposite - final /st/ > [s] and medial /st/ > [sʲː]. I have even heard people with initial /st/ > [sʲ]. Maybe this is hypercorrection?

About worse and worst, I merge them a lot too. When I need to distinguish them, I pronounce worst with a geminate. (Note that /rs/ also undergoes palatalization for me, so both words end up as having [sʲ], so I cannot even palatalize worst to distinguish it.)
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

So happy that the Pole, the (now known as anxi) is back! I missed her presence here!
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

I finished the first draft of my novel. And part of it is even readable! Yay.
anxi

Post by anxi »

mèþru wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:13 am So happy that the Pole, the (now known as anxi) is back! I missed her presence here!
:D
[she/her, they/them]
formerly “Pole, the
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Got my second Forth (hashforth)'s VM assembler running on itself, so it no longer needs my first Forth (attoforth) to create new images. (This is important since my first Forth does not run properly on FreeBSD and OpenBSD, and I do not want to spend the time installing them on VMs and debugging it on them considering I do not plan on maintaining it in the long term.)

I kept the attoforth VM assembler, though, just in case I end up with a hashforth VM and hashforth image combination that does not work and the older hashforth images in git are not compatible with the latest VM, so I can create a new hashforth image without a working hashforth. (I should make it so the hashforth VM assembler does not overwrite the image at the path normally used to launch hashforth.)
kodé

Post by kodé »

Just finished (well, a couple days ago) a full draft of this paper on Muskogee verbs that’s been taking me months and months! If I can manage to publish it, maybe I won’t perish!
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I fixed an annoying bug in the hashforth VM assembler that was producing corrupted VM images, and to prevent the case that happened then (where a good image was overwritten by a bad image), I added code to back up any image that was to be overwritten, with support for an unlimited number of backups (within the limitations of hard drive space), so I could always use a backup in case this ever happened again.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

A friend told me yesterday about an RPG based on the graphic novels of Edgar Clément, a contemporary Mexican writer. Unfortunately most of them seem to be out-of-print. One, Operación Bolívar, is available for free online but without a home computer I don't have a good way to read it. Still, I added it to my Goodreads to-read list, where I noticed for the first time a button which allows you to search local libraries. My alma mater on the other side of town actually has a copy so I requested it via ILL. Who knows, they may not lend it out, but just the prospect has me giddy.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I'm happy I got hashforth into a state where it is no longer crashy (again), so I can now go forward with implementing things like a proper line editor for it.
Ryusenshi

Post by Ryusenshi »

I've finally found an internship! And it's very close to my current home.
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Congratulations!

Just last night, I discovered a fun YouTube series (in Malayalam) introducing a few words and phrases each in all kinds of non-standard language varieties in Kerala, including one I might end up doing research on! (Each episode is about a different variety more or less. It apparently has 60 episodes. One episode is for Tulu).
dhok

Post by dhok »

kodé wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:23 pm Just finished (well, a couple days ago) a full draft of this paper on Muskogee verbs that’s been taking me months and months! If I can manage to publish it, maybe I won’t perish!
What is it on in particular?
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

As a quite happy thing, I may have another first-author paper ready to submit to a journal by the middle of April: we've gotten some quite good results in the past few weeks, enough to push the paper out.
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
Risla

Post by Risla »

I just realized I haven't given any updates on this in a few months…

I've done a really impressively good job of kicking anxiety's ass. Simply realizing how bad it had gotten helped me reprioritize and focus on letting myself take it easy, and now it's MUCH less of a concern. I actually feel calm much of the time, which is a miracle.

Also, over the last six weeks or so, I've made huge progress on recovering from ED-NOS, which has been a longstanding issue that I'd previously managed to make very little headway against. But I started reading Intuitive Eating by Resch and Tribole, and it helped me make some really significant breakthroughs (I can expand on this if anyone cares, lol). Would super duper recommend this book to anyone dealing with any sort of compulsive behavior around food, it's made an absolutely enormous difference so far. I'm actually starting to be able to enjoy food and eat it slowly, which is a total mindfuck…

ALSO, I actually have friends now, including a Dungeons and Dragons group. Still learning to balance having a social life with all the other stuff I need and want to do, but I'm enjoying it.

Also also, my income tax return is good enough that it should more or less cover my residence tax bill when that hits. Big relief!