The "How Do You Pronounce X" Thread

Natural languages and linguistics
Linguoboy

Re: The "How Do You Pronounce X" Thread

Post by Linguoboy »

dɮ the phoneme wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:32 pmHow would you read the name of this dinosaur, Yandusaurus Hongheensis? I'd say [jɑ̃ndʉwsɔɻˤʷɨs hɑ̃ŋhʊɪ̃nsɨs].
It would depend who I was speaking to, but I'd probably avoid too Mandarinised a pronunciation and say something like /ˌjænduːˈsɔrəs ˌhɔŋhəˈɛnsɪs/, perhaps even /ˌhɔŋheːˈɛnsɪs/ if that wasn't intelligible enough.
Richard W

Post by Richard W »

dɮ the phoneme wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:32 pm How would you read the name of this dinosaur, Yandusaurus Hongheensis? I'd say [jɑ̃ndʉwsɔɻˤʷɨs hɑ̃ŋhʊɪ̃nsɨs].
After looking up its etymology, I would say /ˌjændʊˈsɔːrəs hɒŋheɪˈensɪs/. I had shuddered at the 'ee' of 'Hongheensis' when I first thought /hoŋˈhiːnsɪs/.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I'd butcher it as [ˈjɛ̃ːnʲdʲʉˌsɔːʁʷɘs ˈhɒ̃ŋhiːˌɜ̃ːntsɘs].
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

Linguoboy wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:58 am reparative
would have to look up if it's /rep(ə)rətɨv/ or /rɨperətɨv/
dɮ the phoneme wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:32 pm How would you read the name of this dinosaur, Yandusaurus Hongheensis? I'd say [jɑ̃ndʉwsɔɻˤʷɨs hɑ̃ŋhʊɪ̃nsɨs].
/jeənd(ə|u)sorɨs hoŋhɨjensɨs/ - this is America, we nativize our loans
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

dɮ the phoneme wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:32 pm Yandusaurus Hongheensis?
The pronunciation which immediately comes to mind is [ˌjæ̃ndʉˈsoːɻʷəs hoŋˈhiːnsɘs], though after thinking about it a bit more I’d prefer a ‘less incorrect’ pronunciation of [ˌjɑ̃nduˈsoːɻʷəs xoŋxɤˈe̞nsɘs] (assuming Pinyin).
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
anteallach

Post by anteallach »

Richard W wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:57 pm
After looking up its etymology, I would say /ˌjændʊˈsɔːrəs hɒŋheɪˈensɪs/. I had shuddered at the 'ee' of 'Hongheensis' when I first thought /hoŋˈhiːnsɪs/.
Same, except that I'd consider the second vowel to be /uː/.
Kuchigakatai wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:49 pm strength

Anyone got [ŋkθ] in this one?

What do you think of [stɹ̥ɛŋθ], [stɹ̥ɛnθ], [stɹ̥ɛntθ]?
[ŋkθ] is normal for me, I think. The two with no epenthetic stop aren't natural for me, though I'm sure they're out there. You weren't asking about the initial cluster, but it's more like [ʂtʂɹ].

On the subject of epenthetic stops, and going back to width and breadth, I was wondering whether I have a potential distinction between the [tθ] which occurs in those words (and eighth) and the [tθ] which appears as the realisation of /θ/ after /n/ in e.g. month and ninth, and which feels more affricate-like. I suspect not: the only example I can think of where the former might occur after /n/ is thousandth, and my introspection suggests that the end of that is like ninth.
quinterbeck

Post by quinterbeck »

dɮ the phoneme wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:32 pm Yandusaurus Hongheensis
I'd nativise this as [yændusɔːɹəs hɒŋhɪjɛnsɪs], but before knowing it was Chinese in origin I would have said [yændusɔːɹəs hɒŋgɪjɛnsɪs].
[ɹəˈpæɹətɪv]
Sol717

Post by Sol717 »

[ɹəˈpʰeɹət'ə̆f̚~ɹəˈpʰeɹəɾə̆f̚]
Something like [ˈjɛ̃ˑndʏˌsoˑə̯ɹəs ˈhɔ̝̃ˑŋhɪ̝ˌj̆ẽ̝ˑnsəs]; i.e. a shameless spelling pronunciation.

What about sarsaparilla?
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Sol717 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:34 am What about sarsaparilla?
/sæspəˈrɪlə/

The only thing notable about this, I think, is my tendency to maintain the pretonic shwa even in informal speech when normally I drop those things like mobile phone calls on a commuter train.
jal

Post by jal »

Travis B. wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:38 pmOh wait, it's not named after someone, but rather a place, Yandu (an ancient name for Zigong) and the dam Honghe.
In fact, binomial nomenclature never, as far as I know, (almost?) never uses the same person for both the genus and the specific name.

JAL
anteallach

Post by anteallach »

quinterbeck wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:30 am
dɮ the phoneme wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:32 pm Yandusaurus Hongheensis
I'd nativise this as [yændusɔːɹəs hɒŋhɪjɛnsɪs], but before knowing it was Chinese in origin I would have said [yændusɔːɹəs hɒŋgɪjɛnsɪs].
[ɹəˈpæɹətɪv]
Do you actually have [æ] for TRAP, or are you just using a conservative/RP-based transcription to avoid confusing those who are used to it?
quinterbeck

Post by quinterbeck »

anteallach wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:32 am Do you actually have [æ] for TRAP, or are you just using a conservative/RP-based transcription to avoid confusing those who are used to it?
Ugh, that was sloppy! That's what I get for posting before 10am.

No, I have [a] for TRAP. Better transcriptions would be [jandʉsoːɹəs hɔŋhɪjɛnsɪs] and [ɹəˈpaɹətɪv]
anteallach

Post by anteallach »

On the subject of dinosaurs (and their relatives), how about archosaur?
jal

Post by jal »

anteallach wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:45 amOn the subject of dinosaurs (and their relatives), how about archosaur?
Indeed. Birds and crocodiles are archosaurs too :). I've never heard anyone actually pronounce "archosaur", but I'd guess it would be /ˈɑːɹkəˌsɔːr/ (GenAm) or /ˈɑːkəˌsɔː/ (BrE)?

JAL
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

[ˈʌʁkɘˌsɔ(ː)ʁʷ]
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

/ɑrkəsor/
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

sorry

(I ask because I have [ˈsɔːʁʷi(ː)], but supposedly the standard AmE pronunciation has [ɑ] but somehow I can't believe that. What I do hear on occasion is AmE pronunciations with [ɒ], but those make no sense because I have not heard of any NAE dialect having [ɒ] before /r/, but rather only [ɑ] and [ɔ] (or [o] for the few surviving NORTH-FORCE-unmerged lects). Yet at the same time, I have heard NAE-speakers with [ɒ] in their realization of START, e.g. I have heard my daughter with this realization on occasion.)
Richard W

Post by Richard W »

Travis B. wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:37 pm sorry
[ˈsɒɹɪ] but with [ˈsɒɹiː] in pausa. (I'm English.)
anteallach

Post by anteallach »

Travis B. wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:37 pm sorry

(I ask because I have [ˈsɔːʁʷi(ː)], but supposedly the standard AmE pronunciation has [ɑ] but somehow I can't believe that. What I do hear on occasion is AmE pronunciations with [ɒ], but those make no sense because I have not heard of any NAE dialect having [ɒ] before /r/, but rather only [ɑ] and [ɔ] (or [o] for the few surviving NORTH-FORCE-unmerged lects). Yet at the same time, I have heard NAE-speakers with [ɒ] in their realization of START, e.g. I have heard my daughter with this realization on occasion.)
I pronounce it with LOT, like Richard. My understanding is that in most of North America (but not parts of the eastern US) most words with LOT before /r/ are merged with NORTH and FORCE, but that there are a few exceptions; I gather "sorry" is often one of these exceptions but that it is not for you. Those exceptions I suppose retain the LOT vowel, but I assume it's the same phoneme as START (as we're not talking about eastern New England here).

So it seems to me that this comes down to the realisation of START, especially before intervocalic /r/, and I imagine that varies a bit across the US. I've definitely heard American accents with a very back-sounding realisation of START which could well be transcribed [ɒ].
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

The matter is that supposedly both sorry and sorrow are supposed to have [ɑ] in GA (but orange and Florida have [ɔ] in GA unlike some eastern US dialects), but I am so used to them having [ɔ] and [ɑ] respectively that I question whether that's right. Note that I do not speak GA or live in a natively GA-speaking area, but even then, I am used to hearing GA in the media and like to the extent that I generally do notice GA pronunciations unless I listen for them.