The "How Do You Pronounce X" Thread

Natural languages and linguistics
jal

Re: The "How Do You Pronounce X" Thread

Post by jal »

I would think vocalization of /l/ in "all" and "al-" is pretty common in British Estuary English?

JAL
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Travis B. wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:03 pm Does anyone have [o̞] or like with /l/-elision in almost, already, or all right? I've noticed my mom has this, where I have [ɒo̯] in almost and [ɒ] without /l/ in already and all right.
[ˈoːmɞ͡ʉstˢ]
[ɵˈʕʷeɾi]
[oˈʕʷɑ͡itˢ]

(as usual I’m not certain about my exact realisation of /r/)

But this is mostly just due to normal /l/-vocalisation.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Darren

Post by Darren »

The other day I heard someone say almost /ɔʉ̯mɔʉ̯st/, with what sounded like a GOAT vowel in the first syllable. That's not plain /l/-vocalisation; I'd say [ˈʊw̠mɔʉ̟̯s].
bradrn wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:06 am (as usual I’m not certain about my exact realisation of /r/)
Australian r has something weird going on. I'm very unsure about where I articulate it myself; there's some pharyngealisation, rounding and velarisation in there, and also something laminal which feels maybe pre-velar (?). I guess that would make it [ɰ̟ˠˤʷ] :?
anteallach

Post by anteallach »

Darren wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:41 am The other day I heard someone say almost /ɔʉ̯mɔʉ̯st/, with what sounded like a GOAT vowel in the first syllable. That's not plain /l/-vocalisation; I'd say [ˈʊw̠mɔʉ̟̯s].
I have a friend who has GOAT (and no /l/) in at least some of these al- words. I'd guess it's the result of an earlier irregular l-vocalisation.
Last edited by anteallach on Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
jal

Post by jal »

anteallach wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:39 amI have a friend who has GOAT (and no /l/) in at least some of these al- words. I'd guess it's the result of an earlier irregular l-vocalisation.

Why would that be an irregular l-vocalisation? If the /l/ is vocalised to /u/, you get /ɔu/, which is close enough to GOAT to shift over?

JAL
jal

Post by jal »

jal wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:10 am
anteallach wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:39 amI have a friend who has GOAT (and no /l/) in at least some of these al- words. I'd guess it's the result of an earlier irregular l-vocalisation.
Why would that be an irregular l-vocalisation? If the /l/ is vocalised to /u/, you get /ɔu/, which is close enough to GOAT to shift over?

JAL
Darren

Post by Darren »

jal wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:10 am

JAL

Cause it doesn't happen in other words. Anyway in Australian english, you'd get /ʊw/ with l-vocalisation; which is pretty far from GOAT /ɔy̯/.
jal

Post by jal »

Darren wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:18 amCause it doesn't happen in other words. Anyway in Australian english, you'd get /ʊw/ with l-vocalisation; which is pretty far from GOAT /ɔy̯/.
Ok, fair enough. Would be interesting to see how other variants handle it.

JAL
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Of course, I've noticed a different change in already and all right in how my daughter pronounces them, where she will pronounce them with [aʁˤ] - note that this is not START, which is [ɑʁˤ]~[ʌʁˤ] here.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I noticed that for me at least, titanium and DICOM (as in the DICOM standard) are anomalous phonologically because they don't undergo the raising that would be expected from the fortis obstruent following the stressed vowel.
Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

"Japanese"

I notice a lot of people in Vancouver pronounce this stressed in the first syllable, Jápanese, contra pretty much every dictionary, including J. C. Wells' Longman Pronunciation Dictionary (2000). And I don't really think I'm mishearing it...

Curiously, Vietnamese is pronounced Vietnamése, as expected.

What do you guys do?
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Until now, I would have pronounced both with the stress on the first syllable, but English is my second language. Thank you for enlightening me!
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Kuchigakatai wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:53 am "Japanese"

I notice a lot of people in Vancouver pronounce this stressed in the first syllable, Jápanese, contra pretty much every dictionary, including J. C. Wells' Longman Pronunciation Dictionary (2000). And I don't really think I'm mishearing it...

What do you guys do?
I pronounce Japanese on the first syllable.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

For both these words, there's a secondary stress on the initial syllable when pronounced with final stress and vice versa, so I find I can alternate the primary stress without really noticing. You'd have to record me to find out which pattern I use more often.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Linguoboy wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:41 am

For both these words, there's a secondary stress on the initial syllable when pronounced with final stress and vice versa, so I find I can alternate the primary stress without really noticing. You'd have to record me to find out which pattern I use more often.
Often I find it hard to tell secondary and primary stresses apart myself.

I forgot to mention that I do stress Vietnamese on the final syllable.
jal

Post by jal »

I'd find it sound like deliberate contrastive stress. "It's JAPanese, not VIETnamese". Odd, at any account.

JAL
Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

Linguoboy wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:41 am

This reminds me, one time in phonetics class in college (EDIT: at UBC, I should say), the prof did a quick poll asking which syllable of a four-syllable -ation word (don't remember which, but let's say it was "application") had primary stress. About 60% of the class voted for "ápplication", and the remaining part voted for "applicátion"... I was very amused. The prof (a native speaker of Icelandic) said he believed it was "applicátion", which is what any dictionary would say, but I suspect something more like what you say is going on here.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Kuchigakatai wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:36 pm This reminds me, one time in phonetics class in college (EDIT: at UBC, I should say), the prof did a quick poll asking which syllable of a four-syllable -ation word (don't remember which, but let's say it was "application") had primary stress. About 60% of the class voted for "ápplication", and the remaining part voted for "applicátion"... I was very amused. The prof (a native speaker of Icelandic) said he believed it was "applicátion", which is what any dictionary would say, but I suspect something more like what you say is going on here.
From some thought about this (and discussion with my parents), "ápplication" seems more pertinent when speaking of computer applications while "applicátion" seems more pertinent when speaking of the application of, say, a lotion or cosmetic. Here the big factor may be how nouny or verby the usage is. As for myself, I would use either depending on how it is used.
Last edited by Travis B. on Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Travis B. wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:54 pm
Kuchigakatai wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:36 pm This reminds me, one time in phonetics class in college (EDIT: at UBC, I should say), the prof did a quick poll asking which syllable of a four-syllable -ation word (don't remember which, but let's say it was "application") had primary stress. About 60% of the class voted for "ápplication", and the remaining part voted for "applicátion"... I was very amused. The prof (a native speaker of Icelandic) said he believed it was "applicátion", which is what any dictionary would say, but I suspect something more like what you say is going on here.
From some thought about this (and discussion with my parents), "ápplication" seems more pertinent when speaking of computer applications while "applicátion" seems more pertinent when speaking of the application of, say, a lotion or cosmetic. Here the big factor may be how nouny or verby
the usage is. As for myself, I would use either depending on how it is used.
I wonder if the first usage of "application" is being influenced by the shortened form "app". Similarly, with the second usage, the sense of "apply" is very salient, so the pronunciation of that word might be exerting an influence on perception, production, or both.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

subsequently