The "How Do You Pronounce X" Thread

Natural languages and linguistics
Jonlang

Re: The "How Do You Pronounce X" Thread

Post by Jonlang »

WarpedWartWars wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:53 am Kalamata as in the olive.
Something like [ˌkʰæ.lə.ˈmæ.tʰə] I guess.
Twitter won't let me access my @Jonlang_ account, so I've moved to Mastodon: @jonlang@mastodon.social
jal

Post by jal »

WarpedWartWars wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:53 amKalamata as in the olive.
[kɐlɐˈmata] or the like, but that's in Dutch :). Never needed it in English.

JAL
WarpedWartWars

Post by WarpedWartWars »

Jonlang wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:09 am Something like [ˌkʰæ.lə.ˈmæ.tʰə] I guess.
That's how I've always thought of it, except with [ma] instead of [mæ].
jal wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:17 am [kɐlɐˈmata] or the like, but that's in Dutch :). Never needed it in English.
You would if you had Kalamata olive bread, which I do.
tɑ tɑ tɑ tɑ θiθɾ eɾloθ tɑ moew θerts olɑrk siθe
of of of of death abyss of moew kingdom sand witch-PLURAL
The witches of the desert of the kingdom of Moew of the Abyss of Death

tɑ toɾose koɾot tsɑx
of apple-PLURAL magic cold
cold magic of apples
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

/ˌkɑləˈmɑtə/
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Linguoboy wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:39 pm
/ˌkɑləˈmɑtə/
My pronunciation is phonemically identical.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
WarpedWartWars

Post by WarpedWartWars »

Linguoboy wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:39 pm
/ˌkɑləˈmɑtə/
I was thinking that too.
tɑ tɑ tɑ tɑ θiθɾ eɾloθ tɑ moew θerts olɑrk siθe
of of of of death abyss of moew kingdom sand witch-PLURAL
The witches of the desert of the kingdom of Moew of the Abyss of Death

tɑ toɾose koɾot tsɑx
of apple-PLURAL magic cold
cold magic of apples
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

I've never heard the word said before, but from the orthography, /kælə'mɑːtə/ ([kʰæː.ɫə'mɑː.də~kʰæː.ɫə'mɑː.ɾə]) would probably be my instinct.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:05 am I've never heard the word said before, but from the orthography, /kælə'mɑːtə/ ([kʰæː.ɫə'mɑː.də~kʰæː.ɫə'mɑː.ɾə]) would probably be my instinct.
The thing is that to me stressed ⟨a⟩ in non-Germanic loans and names is normally mapped to /ɑ/ (and even in Germanic loans long ⟨a⟩ often maps to that too). Note that this seems to be an American thing, as commonly non-Americans will map the same to /æ/.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Travis B. wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:04 pm
Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:05 am I've never heard the word said before, but from the orthography, /kælə'mɑːtə/ ([kʰæː.ɫə'mɑː.də~kʰæː.ɫə'mɑː.ɾə]) would probably be my instinct.
The thing is that to me stressed ⟨a⟩ in non-Germanic loans and names is normally mapped to /ɑ/ (and even in Germanic loans long ⟨a⟩ often maps to that too). Note that this seems to be an American thing, as commonly non-Americans will map the same to /æ/.
Note that I map one to [æ], and one to [ɑː]; I think it might be analogous with calamari.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:06 pm
Note that I map one to [æ], and one to [ɑː]; I think it might be analogous with calamari.
I likewise have /ˌkɑləˈmɑri/ ([ˌkʰaːɤ̯ə̃ːˈmɑːʁˤi(ː)]) for calamari.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Travis B. wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:06 pm
Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:06 pm

I likewise have /ˌkɑləˈmɑri/ ([ˌkʰaːɤ̯ə̃ːˈmɑːʁˤi(ː)]) for calamari.
Ah, I have /kælə'mɑːri/ [ˌkʰæ.ɫə'mɑː.ɹij~ˌkʰæ.lə'mɑː.ɹɪ]; the maybe "interesting" feature is that I tend to reduce /iː/ to /ɪ/ terminally in a few contexts (usually at the end of longer words, when followed by another word beginning with a consonant utterance-medially), which is possibly regional influence; tomorrow is often /təmɑːrə/, the days of the week all end in roughly /di~dɪ/ rather than having a more fully realised [ou] or [ei], as might otherwise be expected (my speech is pretty close to General American, or so I tend to think). I don't go far enough to reduce /iː/ to [ə] — my very is not *['vɛ(ː).ɹə], though I have encountered that pronunciation before.
anteallach

Post by anteallach »

I have TRAP (phonetically [a]) in both the first and third syllables of kalamata and in the first syllable of calamari but PALM/START in the third syllable of calamari.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

anteallach wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:08 am I have TRAP (phonetically [a]) in both the first and third syllables of kalamata and in the first syllable of calamari but PALM/START in the third syllable of calamari.
If your trap vowel is [a], what is your palm vowel? Still [ɑː]?
Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

"twenty"

Many sources state this word has DRESS or STRUT. What do you have? Are there any social connotations to using either vowel?
Kuchigakatai wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:41 am "son"

Just noticed Wiktionary claims this word can be pronounced with the LOT vowel, instead of the usual STRUT. Who pronounces it with LOT?
By the way, I eventually found, in J. C. Wells's Longman Pronunciation Dictionary (2000), that "son" is the pronunciation of the Spanish borrowing for the musical genre... Clarified it on Wiktionary.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Kuchigakatai wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:46 am "twenty"

Many sources state this word has DRESS or STRUT. What do you have? Are there any social connotations to using either vowel?
I have STRUT. Pronouncing it as DRESS sounds like a horrible spelling pronunciation/hypercorrection to me, TBH.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Travis B. wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:12 pm

I have STRUT. Pronouncing it as DRESS sounds like a horrible spelling pronunciation/hypercorrection to me, TBH.
I have the two in free variation, but might have some slight preference for the strut vowel.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Same. For me it rhymes with "runny" and even pronouncing the second t sounds like a hypercorrection to me.

FWIW, I also frequently have the STRUT vowel in went, making it an occasional homophone for want.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Linguoboy wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:44 pm
Same. For me it rhymes with "runny" and even pronouncing the second t sounds like a hypercorrection to me.
I normally do not realize twenty with even [ɾ̃], as my usual pronunciation is [tʰwʌ̃ːj] (yes, that's a monosyllable), but both the /n/ and the /t/ are still there underlyingly as the vowel is nasalized and only long rather than overlong. When pronouncing twenty more carefully it comes out as [ˈtʰwʌ̃ɾ̃i(ː)], which still reflects an underlying /t/ because the first vowel is short rather than long. Pronouncing twenty with a real live [nt] comes off as a serious hypercorrection to me.
Linguoboy wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:44 pm FWIW, I also frequently have the STRUT vowel in went, making it an occasional homophone for want.
So you sometimes pronounce want with STRUT?
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Travis B. wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:54 pm
Linguoboy wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:44 pm FWIW, I also frequently have the STRUT vowel in went, making it an occasional homophone for want.
Is this a trick question? I always pronounce it that way. Using a rounded vowel sounds positively Bri'ish to me.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Linguoboy wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:56 pm
Travis B. wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:54 pm
Is this a trick question? I always pronounce it that way. Using a rounded vowel sounds positively Bri'ish to me.
In the dialect here in Milwaukee, want is pronounced with a rounded THOUGHT vowel, specifically [ɒ̃], unless one is actually from further south, e.g. Kenosha (my mother, who is from Kenosha originally, very frequently unrounds her THOUGHT as [ɑ], in this case as [ɑ̃], but is not cot-caught merged per se because her LOT is [a] except when adjacent to /r w h kw gw/).