Venting thread

Topics that can go away
Man in Space

Re: Venting thread

Post by Man in Space »

malloc wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:38 pm
Man in Space wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:57 pm I can’t work in this industry anymore…but what do I do? It took me over 300 applications to get this gig, and now I have to pivot to an entirely new field.
What field and why must you leave?
BSA/AML compliance. It’s negatively affecting my health. I need constancy, not flux, and this field is just filled with change. I’m going to relapse into Crohn’s, or have a heart attack, or straight-up fucking kill myself at the rate I’m going.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

Have you thought about stealing shit in Ethiopia?
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
malloc

Post by malloc »

Moose-tache wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:22 pmHave you thought about stealing shit in Ethiopia?
How will plundering another country help with intestinal inflammation and heart disease?
Man in Space wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:49 pmBSA/AML compliance. It’s negatively affecting my health. I need constancy, not flux, and this field is just filled with change. I’m going to relapse into Crohn’s, or have a heart attack, or straight-up fucking kill myself at the rate I’m going.
Sorry to hear about your health issues. Crohn's is quite nasty from what I have read. My feelings on machine learning are well-known at this point so I'm at least glad to hear you're considering leaving such a dangerous field.
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
Koomát terratomít juneeratu!
Anti-TESCREAL Action | He/him
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Moose-tache wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:22 pm Have you thought about stealing shit in Ethiopia?
Uhh, what?
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Man in Space wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:49 pm
malloc wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:38 pm
Man in Space wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:57 pm I can’t work in this industry anymore…but what do I do? It took me over 300 applications to get this gig, and now I have to pivot to an entirely new field.
What field and why must you leave?
BSA/AML compliance. It’s negatively affecting my health. I need constancy, not flux, and this field is just filled with change. I’m going to relapse into Crohn’s, or have a heart attack, or straight-up fucking kill myself at the rate I’m going.
[sending virtual hugs]
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Moose-tache wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:22 pm Have you thought about stealing shit in Ethiopia?
Have you thought about not consciously snarking at shit in every single fucking comment you make?
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

To everyone offering condolences: Thank you.
malloc wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:32 pm
Man in Space wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:49 pmBSA/AML compliance. It’s negatively affecting my health. I need constancy, not flux, and this field is just filled with change. I’m going to relapse into Crohn’s, or have a heart attack, or straight-up fucking kill myself at the rate I’m going.
Sorry to hear about your health issues. Crohn's is quite nasty from what I have read. My feelings on machine learning are well-known at this point so I'm at least glad to hear you're considering leaving such a dangerous field.
Clarification: AML is anti-money laundering, not something to do with machine learning (at least, not necessarily so).
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

If we had universal healthcare I’d just have institutionalized myself already and been done with it. But such is life in Eagle Land.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

My aunt lives in Las Vegas. There’s this landmark in the desert, an old mine that’s been capped off, and some guy vandalized it to make a “Wheel of Misfortune”. Many times I’ve thought about just booking a one-way flight there, taking a taxi, and then wandering off there never to return or be found. Days like today I feel that urge strongly,
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

I do hope things can start to improve for you, and quickly.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Update: Wowzers, that was some intense sudden-onset depressive episode. The thoughts have ceased, but I think I might need to see a neurologist about this. Third time in a week and a half…

Regardless, thanks for bearing with me on that. If I triggered anyone, I am severely sorry. zomp, or Linguoboy, if anything crosses the line feel free to redact it.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Man in Space wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:27 am Update: Wowzers, that was some intense sudden-onset depressive episode. The thoughts have ceased, but I think I might need to see a neurologist about this. Third time in a week and a half…

Regardless, thanks for bearing with me on that. If I triggered anyone, I am severely sorry. zomp, or Linguoboy, if anything crosses the line feel free to redact it.
I'm glad you're able to separate yourself from the episode and get some help. Take care of yourself!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Good luck, Man in Space!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

A crow or a raven - not sure which one - just spent a few seconds right outside my window, and pecked its beak against the window pane a couple of times. Even though, on an "intellectual" level, I think that superstition doesn't make sense, this still spooks me out.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I'm starting to worry what my habit of occasionally screaming at electronic gadgets might say about me as a person. Hear me out:

There isn't really any human being over whom I have power. Sure, I belong to various demographic groups that are pretty powerful in the larger scheme of things, but personally, as an individual, I've almost never been in a position of power over anyone. The only exceptions were a few shifts during my time as a volunteer, when I was in charge of one or two other volunteers for a few hours. And as far as I can remember, on each of those occasions, that felt pretty weird to me.

So I've basically never had serious power over other people, but, of course, to some extent I have power over the things in my household, including my electronic gadgets. And, well, they often drive me up the wall, when they don't work the way I want them to work. And this worries me a bit. After all, some smart people have said things along the lines that one of the ultimate tests of a person's character is how they treat their subordinates. And, in a way, my computer, my cellphone, and my e-book reader are the closest things I have to subordinates.

So, should I be worried about the fact that I sometimes yell at these inanimate objects?
linguistcat

Post by linguistcat »

Unless you see those objects as in some way people, I think you're over thinking the situation.
A cat and a linguist.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

linguistcat wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:12 pm Unless you see those objects as in some way people, I think you're over thinking the situation.
I second this - there is no need to anthropomorphize your electronic gadgets here.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I think I won't be able to support WiFi with either the Wio RP2040 or the Pico W. In the former case it is because the Wio RP2040's ESP8285 WiFi radio is just too unreliable for me to express any confidence in it ever really working. In the latter case it is because it requires a binary blob to be uploaded onto the CYW43xx radio at runtime, and the licensing terms for Damien George (also the creator of MicroPython)'s CYW43xx driver which incorporates this binary blob (and which strictly speaking my code would be a derived work of, since I would have to read his code to figure out how to talk with the chip) are simply untenable. They require code which uses his driver to either be non-commercial or, in the terms granted by his licensor Raspberry Pi Ltd., to run on an RP2040. These terms, were I to write a CYW43xx driver based off Damien George's and using his binary blob, would be transferred to any binaries compiled with any version of zeptoforth incorporating such a driver, and hence effectively negate, say, GPL-ed code from being compiled with it. I did think of isolating my driver in a separate repository and requiring the user to manually build it, but that runs into the problem of that Raspberry Pi Ltd.'s terms only allow redistribution along with an RP2040-based device, which implies that redistribution not on a physical device incorporating an RP2040 itself is forbidden.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
alice

Post by alice »

Don't panic: you can fix that if you use a PQ242 (don't use the CQxxx clones; they may be cheaper but they can't handle the throughput) in cross-grain mode and a couple of specially modded AY38910's to handle the rescaling. It's a bit fiddly but perfectly doable considering what you've already done.
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Our sump pump failed. It rained.