The "How Do You Pronounce X" Thread

Natural languages and linguistics
bradrn

Re: The "How Do You Pronounce X" Thread

Post by bradrn »

Travis B. wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:08 pm How do you guys pronounce hydrant, as in fire hydrant?
[ˈɦɑ͡ɪd͡ʒʷɻʷəntˢ]

(The initial phoneme definitely seems to be [ɦ] rather than [h], but I’m not entirely sure why…)
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Darren

Post by Darren »

[ˈhɑe̯d͡ʒʷɻʷn̩(ʔ)]

In connected speech the /h/ would probably be voiced like brad's

[ˈfɑe̯ɜɻʷ ͜ ˌˌɦɑe̯d͡ʒʷɻʷn̩(ʔ)]
Space60

Post by Space60 »

Travis B. wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:01 pm
Space60 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:43 pm Does anyone with Canadian raising have raising in "high chair"? I know that some have raising in "high school".
Yep, for both: [ˈhəe̯ˌtʃʰɛ̝(ː)ʁˤ], [ˈhəe̯ˌsku(ː)ʊ̯].
That seems to suggest that "high chair" and "high school" function as single words even though orthographically they are two words.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Space60 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:43 pm Does anyone with Canadian raising have raising in "high chair"?
Only sporadically. I don't have it in "hydrant" at all. (The only possibly oddity about that word for me is that the coda is [ɨ̃ˀ].)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Linguoboy wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:53 am
Space60 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:43 pm Does anyone with Canadian raising have raising in "high chair"?
Only sporadically. I don't have it in "hydrant" at all. (The only possibly oddity about that word for me is that the coda is [ɨ̃ˀ].)
Interestingly enough, while I have raising in hydrant, I don't have it in hydra (the mythical creature), or most hydro- words such hydroelectric (but as I've mentioned before I do have it in hydrogen).
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
anteallach

Post by anteallach »

Travis B. wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:13 pm
Space60 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:50 pm
anteallach wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:42 am

/ˈkʌmftərbəl/

... where /r/ may be realised as zero or as a slight modification (pharyngealisation?) of the vowel, but I'm confident it's phonemically present in this word. Also, /mf/ in post-stress position (as here) tends to have an intrusive [p], but I don't think I'd analyse there being a /p/ there.
I have an intrusive [p] in "hamster". I have often seem people misspell the word as "hampster".
I have [p] in hamster but that reflects an underlying /p/, as I pronounce hams as [ˈhɛ̃ə̯̃ms], i.e. without [p] or [b].
Doesn't hams have /z/ though? I think epenthetic stops between nasals and fricatives in English are more prevalent before fortis fricatives than lenis; indeed I don't think I have any examples before lenis fricatives, but I have lots before fortis ones.

(Not that that means that /p/ in hamster is a bad analysis.)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

anteallach wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:10 pm
Travis B. wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:13 pm
Space60 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:50 pm

I have an intrusive [p] in "hamster". I have often seem people misspell the word as "hampster".
I have [p] in hamster but that reflects an underlying /p/, as I pronounce hams as [ˈhɛ̃ə̯̃ms], i.e. without [p] or [b].
Doesn't hams have /z/ though? I think epenthetic stops between nasals and fricatives in English are more prevalent before fortis fricatives than lenis; indeed I don't think I have any examples before lenis fricatives, but I have lots before fortis ones.

(Not that that means that /p/ in hamster is a bad analysis.)
This true - hams for me has an underlying /z/ even though I normally realize final /z/ as [s] when not followed by a vowel in a following word.

(Note that I should have transcribed hams as [ˈhɛ̃ːə̯̃ms] above since it contains final /z/; I have corrected this in my original post.)
Raholeun

Post by Raholeun »

What about "Meuse" (the river). Interested in non-English responses too.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Raholeun wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:46 pm What about "Meuse" (the river). Interested in non-English responses too.
/mjuz/ [mjyːs]
anteallach

Post by anteallach »

Raholeun wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:46 pm What about "Meuse" (the river). Interested in non-English responses too.
[mœːz], rhyming with non-rhotic "furs"
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Possibly with the French pronunciation, [møːz] (I've never said the word in English), or something approaching [mʊːz]; or possibly a reading pronunciation [miːj'juːʊz] (I have a very odd relationship with orthographic eu, ew and spelling pronunciations).
Ryusenshi

Post by Ryusenshi »

My first instinct is [møːz], but I'm not sure how I would mangle it properly in an English context.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Ryusenshi wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:56 amMy first instinct is [møːz], but I'm not sure how I would mangle it properly in an English context.
Same. I know that pronouncing it identically to "Muse" rubs me the wrong way though. I'd go with /muːz/ before /mjuːz/ to maintain the distinction.
Raholeun

Post by Raholeun »

Interesting that none of the responses have it end in a schwa.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Raholeun wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:55 pm Interesting that none of the responses have it end in a schwa.
English final <e> is practically never pronounced as a schwa, even in foreign names. For instance, in the dialect here in southeastern Wisconsin, final <e> in names of German origin is traditionally pronounced with /i/.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Travis B. wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:11 pmFor instance, in the dialect here in southeastern Wisconsin, final <e> in names of German origin is traditionally pronounced with /i/.
Same in Missouri.

For French borrowings, the options for final orthographic <e> seem to be limited to /0/ and (often hypercorrect) /eː/.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

The only example of English final -e being a schwa that comes immediately to mind is the pronunciation of laude (as in cum lauda, magna cum laude, summa cum laude) by some speakers as [laʊdə].
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:45 pm The only example of English final -e being a schwa that comes immediately to mind is the pronunciation of laude (as in cum lauda, magna cum laude, summa cum laude) by some speakers as [laʊdə].
Actually, another example that comes to mind, now that I think of it, is in vice as in vice versa, which can be either /ˈvaɪsəˌvɜrsə/ or /ˈvaɪsˌvɜrsə/.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Travis B. wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:00 am
Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:45 pm The only example of English final -e being a schwa that comes immediately to mind is the pronunciation of laude (as in cum lauda, magna cum laude, summa cum laude) by some speakers as [laʊdə].
Actually, another example that comes to mind, now that I think of it, is in vice as in vice versa, which can be either /ˈvaɪsəˌvɜrsə/ or /ˈvaɪsˌvɜrsə/.
Oh, yes, I'd forgotten that one.
Space60

Post by Space60 »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:56 am
Travis B. wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:00 am
Oh, yes, I'd forgotten that one.
Also "genre".