What do you call ...

Natural languages and linguistics
Linguoboy

Re: What do you call ...

Post by Linguoboy »

2+3 Clusivity wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:48 pmIn the Mid-Atlantic English, asphalt is a general term for the material, so it could appear in a lot of contexts. Blacktop, however, is very specific to the asphalt covered play spaces found near schools or at playgrounds, ball courts, etc. I can't really think of another context for the term's use.
Growing up, we used "blacktop" for the asphalt covering on our driveway. When it needed recovering, my father "blacktopped" it. I'm not sure I really understood what "asphalt" referred to until I was older.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:30 pm
Linguoboy wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:18 pm So I'm trying to work out when I call something a "present" and when I call it a "gift". Seems like I have:

birthday present
Christmas present
going-away present
I would normally prefer present in all these contexts, but only by a slight margin with the first two — birthday gift and Christmas gift are also fine, and I might use them, just not as often as the forms with present; *going-away gift, however, sounds somehow wrong.
[...]
I would actually say wedding present, and think wedding gift sounds ever so slightly odd.
I think I'd agree with these preferences. The "gift" variations don't sound wrong.

I tried Googling the variations; somewhat surprisingly, the "gift" variations won by a large margin-- e.g. "birthday present" 22.7 million results, "birthday gift" 43.1 million.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

zompist wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:25 pm
Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:30 pm
Linguoboy wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:18 pm So I'm trying to work out when I call something a "present" and when I call it a "gift". Seems like I have:

birthday present
Christmas present
going-away present
I would normally prefer present in all these contexts, but only by a slight margin with the first two — birthday gift and Christmas gift are also fine, and I might use them, just not as often as the forms with present; *going-away gift, however, sounds somehow wrong.
[...]
I would actually say wedding present, and think wedding gift sounds ever so slightly odd.
I think I'd agree with these preferences. The "gift" variations don't sound wrong.

I tried Googling the variations; somewhat surprisingly, the "gift" variations won by a large margin-- e.g. "birthday present" 22.7 million results, "birthday gift" 43.1 million.
We're probably simply dialectally similar.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

zompist wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:25 pm I tried Googling the variations; somewhat surprisingly, the "gift" variations won by a large margin-- e.g. "birthday present" 22.7 million results, "birthday gift" 43.1 million.
I have a theory. It seems to me that "gift" is slightly fancier, linguistically, and is overwhelmingly preferred in a commercial context. I can imagine a company sending me spam about "a special gift for our loyal customers," but not "a special present for our loyal customers." And when I repeated your google experiment, what websites appear on the first page? Most (not all) of them were websites trying to sell me something, or recommend what or where to buy something.

When I run the experiment in a non-commercial context, the results are reversed. "My favorite birthday present" gets 1.24 billion hits, while "my favorite birthday gift" gets 876 million.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

I did ponder earlier that its use in marketing jargon might be the reason I tended not to prefer it. It probably at least hindered my adopting it.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

When one drinks from a shared bottle, canteen, or wineskin, the method generally accepted as "correct" (at least in the USA) is to purse one's lips to form a small spout and then make little or no contact with the rim of the vessel. Wrapping one's lips around the top of the bottle (etc.) is calling "lipping" where I come from and is considered very bad form.

Do you have a term for "lipping" (in this sense) in your dialect?
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Linguoboy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:25 pm When one drinks from a shared bottle, canteen, or wineskin, the method generally accepted as "correct" (at least in the USA) is to purse one's lips to form a small spout and then make little or no contact with the rim of the vessel. Wrapping one's lips around the top of the bottle (etc.) is calling "lipping" where I come from and is considered very bad form.

I have never heard a term for this myself.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

I haven't, either.
keenir

Post by keenir »

2+3 Clusivity wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:48 pmIn the Mid-Atlantic English, asphalt is a general term for the material, so it could appear in a lot of contexts. Blacktop, however, is very specific to the asphalt covered play spaces found near schools or at playgrounds, ball courts, etc. I can't really think of another context for the term's use.
in my 'lect (Baltimore County, MD), the blacktop was a basketball court (but not an indoor one - those had wooden floors)...and asphalt was always (or near enough) used as a synonym for the street ("park your car on the asphalt, not my driveway")
Linguoboy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:25 pm When one drinks from a shared bottle, canteen, or wineskin, the method generally accepted as "correct" (at least in the USA) is to purse one's lips to form a small spout and then make little or no contact with the rim of the vessel. Wrapping one's lips around the top of the bottle (etc.) is calling "lipping" where I come from and is considered very bad form.

Not that I've heard, sorry.

I once had a coworker who thought such a drinking method was proof of a mouth's proficiency in sexual practices, though.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

What do you call the specific part of a spoon where the food actually goes when you use it to eat food? I can't think of any word or term for it myself, in either German or English.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

I don't think I've ever called it anything, but if I were describing it in a piece of narration, probably the "bowl". A Google search turns up both "bowl" and "head" for this, apparently.
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

Raphael wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:21 pm What do you call the specific part of a spoon where the food actually goes when you use it to eat food? I can't think of any word or term for it myself, in either German or English.
So for English, the words Rounin mentioned. I must admit that I never heard the word die Laffe before, while Stiel is an everyday word.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Thank you both!
alice

What do you call one of these?

Post by alice »

You see them a lot in discussions of language change; is there a technical name for them?

Code: Select all

Input                             oinos
low vowel merger                  ainas
Verner's Law                      ainaz
WG loss of final syllables        ain
Diphthong reduction               a:n
Back vowel rasing before nasals   o:n
Replacement limb                  wo:n
Further raising                   wu:n
Vowel shortening                  wun
FOOT-STRUT split                  wʌn
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
WeepingElf

Re: What do you call one of these?

Post by WeepingElf »

Sound change?
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Kuchigakatai

Re: What do you call one of these?

Post by Kuchigakatai »

Table with a sequence of sound changes? I've never seen a nice short technical term for these, no.

The "replacement limb" change seems the most interesting to me here, btw. Just a few days ago I saw a couple people commenting on this sound change in English, after finding some old guy (18th/19th century?) writing "in" as an equivalent of IPA [jin] (also "made" as [mɛːd]). Apparently "home" is known to have been pronounced [wʌm] by some people.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Is there any specific term for the special sinks used in hair salons to wash the customers' hair? That is, the ones that have a kind of "cut-out" where the customer's head and neck are placed?
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

I'd call it a "salon sink". Apparently the term "shampoo bowl" is also in use, though I wouldn't understand what that referred to without explanation.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

I would probably have called it a "hair-washing basin" without looking up a word for it.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Thank you!