The Ad'ivro and Ovid's Fasti

Almea and the Incatena
Kuchigakatai

The Ad'ivro and Ovid's Fasti

Post by Kuchigakatai »

Sorry if I'm asking about the "obvious", but *is* the organization of the Ad'ivro inspired off Ovid's Fasti IRL, or is it just a coincidence?
zompist
Site Admin

Re: The Ad'ivro and Ovid's Fasti

Post by zompist »

Not a conscious borrowing— in fact, I don't think I'd heard of the Fasti before. I may well have heard about chronological arrangements elsewhere, though.
Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

I have a similar question on whether something was inspired off an ancient work, or is a coincidence.

Šriftom Revouse's Pere aluatas i Caďinor talks about the cases of the Cadhinor language using the metaphor of a circle, placing the nominative on the "top" side (because it is "highest" and most "dominating"), with the other cases being placed elsewhere, the right side being considered "stronger" than the left side.

I admit I think this is very likely inspired off the ancient Greeks' way to talk about cases in their own language. On the off-chance it isn't, I certainly have other questions... Is the placement of the nominative on top of the circles at a 90-degree angle, as in Ancient Greek, coincidental or not?
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Using a circle, and placing the nominative on top, is definitely a nod to the Greeks.

However, I'd like to think that the Cadhinorians improved the idea with the left/right idea and top/bottom categories, with the reasons Šm Revouse gives.
Glass Half Baked

Post by Glass Half Baked »

I've always enjoyed the "in character" Cadhinorian grammar. It's slightly infuriating to use, but the arrogance of the author is just so much fun. I especially appreciate the obligatory section at the beginning where phonemes are explained with obtuse descriptions like "an odd sigh." I would love to see an in-universe Verdurian lesson for merchants or something. Just a hint, if you find yourself with any free time...
sasasha

Post by sasasha »

Ser wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:35 pm I have a similar question on whether something was inspired off an ancient work, or is a coincidence.

Šriftom Revouse's Pere aluatas i Caďinor talks about the cases of the Cadhinor language using the metaphor of a circle, placing the nominative on the "top" side (because it is "highest" and most "dominating"), with the other cases being placed elsewhere, the right side being considered "stronger" than the left side.

I admit I think this is very likely inspired off the ancient Greeks' way to talk about cases in their own language. On the off-chance it isn't, I certainly have other questions... Is the placement of the nominative on top of the circles at a 90-degree angle, as in Ancient Greek, coincidental or not?
I'm sure Pāṇini also writes about case in a similar way, set on a wheel. My teacher explained that each case, positioned in an equal segment of the circle, was seen as a sort of window into a central essence - not sure if that is directly from Pāṇini though. I wonder which came first, this or the Greek example, and whether there was any relationship.

I like the Cadhinorian development of the idea, recognising that case roles are not necessarily 'equal'.