-ien in German

Natural languages and linguistics
So Haleza Grise

-ien in German

Post by So Haleza Grise »

How is it that the names for Spain and Italy ended up as Spanien and Italien in German? Are these forms derived from accusatives?
alice

Re: -ien in German

Post by alice »

Different dialects? Compare also Ungarn and Arabien.
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

And Indien?
Gulliver

Post by Gulliver »

My gut said no, not least because -am isn't -en and that's a bit of a stretch. I assumed it was to fit the pattern of place names ending in -n like Thüringen and Köln.

Grimm has a detailed account of the history of Spanien and it looks like I was right!
der im mhd. übliche nom. sing. wurde dann nhd. nach der analogie von Baiern, Thüringen u. s. w. (dat. plur. des bewohnernamens) umgebildet: von ungeschick fur ein raubschiff daher, das wolt von Algeri auff Spanien zu streyffen. Schumann nachtb. 127, 1;
Etymology is a very interesting field of linguistics and, generally speaking, it's important to remember that most humans don't care about etymology, especially across languages. Changing a word to make it fit in better is perfectly viable.

tldr: they changed it to make it sound more German.
Last edited by Gulliver on Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So Haleza Grise

Post by So Haleza Grise »

Gulliver wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:39 pmf place names ending in -n like Thüringen and Köln.
Funny considering that Köln is ultimately another import from Latin!
Gulliver

Post by Gulliver »

So Haleza Grise wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:05 pm
Gulliver wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:39 pmf place names ending in -n like Thüringen and Köln.
Funny considering that Köln is ultimately another import from Latin!
That was my guess before I looked it up. I've had a few glasses of wine and apparently German etymological dictionaries are how the cool dudes spend their Saturday nights.