"Black" versus "black"

Natural languages and linguistics
alice

"Black" versus "black"

Post by alice »

Could someone explain to this non-American how "Black" differs in meaning from "black"?
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
zompist
Site Admin

Re: "Black" versus "black"

Post by zompist »

I assume you're referring to the way news organizations etc. have started calling people Black instead of black.

I suggest googling "capitalizing black" and reading some (more than one) of the explanations from various publications.
kadmii

Post by kadmii »

Black is a racial category (e.g. Black Americans, Black British, etc)

black is a color term
alice

Post by alice »

zompist wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:44 am I assume you're referring to the way news organizations etc. have started calling people Black instead of black.

I suggest googling "capitalizing black" and reading some (more than one) of the explanations from various publications.
Yes, I am. I wish I'd thought of that. :oops:
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

See also: “Deaf” vs “deaf”.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

Wait, did people used to use lowercase terms for ethnicities? I can't believe I never noticed that before. I thought it always had to be capitalized, like "Lithuanian."

EDIT: using lowercase "deaf" doesn't strike me as odd, since deaf is an actual property that a person can have, while Black only works as an arbitrary label, i.e. a signifier for something that has nothing to do with being literally the color black. But when saying "The Deaf," the capital makes more sense.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I tend to write names referring to races and like as lowercase unless they are derived from a toponym but names referring to ethnicities and nationalities as uppercase, so I write white, black, and deaf, but Asian, Indian, European, Native American, Chinese, Japanese, and so on.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Moose-tache wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:31 amEDIT: using lowercase "deaf" doesn't strike me as odd, since deaf is an actual property that a person can have, while Black only works as an arbitrary label, i.e. a signifier for something that has nothing to do with being literally the color black. But when saying "The Deaf," the capital makes more sense.
"deaf" is an actual property while "Deaf" is a cultural identification.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deaf_culture
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

Linguoboy wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:40 pm
Moose-tache wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:31 amEDIT: using lowercase "deaf" doesn't strike me as odd, since deaf is an actual property that a person can have, while Black only works as an arbitrary label, i.e. a signifier for something that has nothing to do with being literally the color black. But when saying "The Deaf," the capital makes more sense.
"deaf" is an actual property while "Deaf" is a cultural identification.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deaf_culture
Right, exactly. I think only the latter sense can apply to ethnic signifiers like Black.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.