"Pronouncing difficult sounds" thread.

Natural languages and linguistics
Space60

"Pronouncing difficult sounds" thread.

Post by Space60 »

A thread to discuss how to pronounce various speech sounds one might have difficulty with, like alveolar trills.
Last edited by Space60 on Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ryan of Tinellb

Re: "How do you pronounce X sound" thread.

Post by Ryan of Tinellb »

Space60 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:00 am ...alveolar trolls...
These trolls are under the bridge of the nose.
High Lulani and its descendants at Tinellb.com.
Linguoboy

Re: "How do you pronounce X sound" thread.

Post by Linguoboy »

The thread title doesn't really express what the subject of the thread is. I would go with something like "Hard-to-pronounce sounds" or "Pronouncing difficult sounds". "'How do you pronounce X sound' thread' makes it sound like it's for discussion of our idiolectal realisations of particular phonemes.
Xwtek

Re: "Pronouncing difficult sounds" thread.

Post by Xwtek »

How do you pronounce:
  1. Ejective fricative, (Not ejective affricate or ejective stop, I can already pronounce that)
  2. Pharyngeal consonant
IPA of my name: [xʷtɛ̀k]

Favourite morphology: Polysynthetic, Ablaut
Favourite character archetype: Shounen hero
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

For ejective /s/ i imitate a garden hose with a kink in it. For the voiced pharyngeal approximant I try to say /z/ without moving my tongue.

Not the most professional methods but for me at least I'm pretty sure I'm saying the right sounds.

Although I would say that ejective fricatives are functionally the same as ejective stops and that I feel myself doing the same thing in both. I actually learned /s_>/ first and the stops later.
alice

Post by alice »

A good old chestnut: Czech <ř>.
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

I swear some native speakers sound like they just pronounce that [rʒ].
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

I have a major pet peeve about IALs and “difficult sounds.”

A very common criticism of any language meant to serve as an international standard is that they contain sounds that do not exist in every other language, and would therefore be unusable. The conlang critic youtube channel literally goes down a list of languages, in order of number of speakers, and if they find a language that does not contain every phoneme in the IAL, the IAL is declared a failure. Discussions on this board and the CBB have gone in similar directions, lambasting conlangs for having such exotic noises as /l/ and /y/.

This is ridiculous. People, by the billions, learn languages that do not have the same phonemes as their L1. When they encounter a sound that is difficult to make, they do one of two things. Either they pull up their big-girl trousers and learn to pronounce it correctly, or they just give up and say it wrong. Either way there are no consequences. A Japanese speaker of English with perfect grammar and vocabulary is not going to struggle to be understood just because they merge R and L, nor would the challenge of learning to pronounce the sounds correctly cause them to give up learning English. Conversely, the people who throw up their hands and say “Mandarin is impossible; the same word can have four meanings!” are not people who can be persuaded to learn a second language, tonal or otherwise.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Agreed. And that's mistaking phonology for phonemic inventory. Languages with minimal inventories can have insane amounts of allophony. Long polysyllabic roots could be a pain to memorize.
(If I may plug my own work, you can go check the Passol thread for what IMO could be a reasonable compromise - though I stole a lot of ideas from Justin B. Rye's critique of Esperanto).
Xwtek

Post by Xwtek »

How do you pronounce /æ/? (Note that English is not my native language.)
IPA of my name: [xʷtɛ̀k]

Favourite morphology: Polysynthetic, Ablaut
Favourite character archetype: Shounen hero
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Akangka wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:33 pm How do you pronounce /æ/? (Note that English is not my native language.)
Start with a plain /a/, then raise your tongue a bit.

Small tip: On its pages for phonemes, Wikipedia has audio samples — here’s the page for /æ/. There’s also http://archive.phonetics.ucla.edu/, which has audio samples of ‘over 200 languages’ with phonetic transcriptions. I’ve found both resources incredibly useful for learning how to pronounce sounds.

(I also note that from your ZBB Census post, you natively speak Indonesian and Javanese. I don’t know much about either, but it seems that both contain /ɛ/; you can get /æ/ from that by moving your tongue down a bit. As a native English speaker, my impression is that /æ/ is midway between /a/ and /ɛ/.)
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Ryan of Tinellb

Post by Ryan of Tinellb »

How are the fricatives in Basque/Euskara pronounced? Or, which of <s> and <z> is most similar to the <s> in your English idiolect?
High Lulani and its descendants at Tinellb.com.
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

I would add that AFAICT most varieties of English do not in fact pronounce [æ] but [a]. The phonetics lab archive seems intresting though; I'll go on when I'm on a more advanced computer.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

MacAnDàil wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:43 pm I would add that AFAICT most varieties of English do not in fact pronounce [æ] but [a].
Do you have a source? That doesn’t sound quite right to me… If anything, I would think /æ/ would end up as /ɛ/ or /e/.
The phonetics lab archive seems intresting though; I'll go on when I'm on a more advanced computer.
It is indeed very interesting! I use it particularly when I want to know how a phoneme sounds in context. It’s all very well being able to pronounce a pure /kʼ/ or /ʌ/ or /ǃ/, but how are they pronounced in context, in a word, in a natlang, by a native speaker? I find the archive helps a lotwith that sort of thing. For instance, right now I’m looking at a ǃXóõ story, and I’ve noticed that the clicks blend into the surrounding word surprisingly well; when I try pronouncing them, they stand out a lot.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

MacAnDàil wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:43 pm I would add that AFAICT most varieties of English do not in fact pronounce [æ] but [a]. The phonetics lab archive seems intresting though; I'll go on when I'm on a more advanced computer.
What counts as "most varieties of English"? I have seen this claim made before about EngE, but I have never heard it made about NAE or AusE.

And what do you have for [a] anyways? (Are you literally treating it as a low front vowel, as opposed to the low central vowel everyone uses it for?) I have [a] for PALM, yet the vowel I have for it is lower and more central than the vowel most Americans have in TRAP.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

Well, [a] in the IPA chart is certainly placed as a low front vowel.

I checked it up and it turns out I was wrong: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internati ... h_dialects. I had thought that GA had [a] and I thought this was more common Canadian and irish English as well.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

MacAnDàil wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:49 amI checked it up and it turns out I was wrong: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internati ... h_dialects. I had thought that GA had [a] and I thought this was more common Canadian and irish English as well.
[a] is rather common in Chicago--in PALM and LOT words. (That's actually how I learned for use in other languages.)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Linguoboy wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:25 am
MacAnDàil wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:49 amI checked it up and it turns out I was wrong: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internati ... h_dialects. I had thought that GA had [a] and I thought this was more common Canadian and irish English as well.
[a] is rather common in Chicago--in PALM and LOT words. (That's actually how I learned for use in other languages.)
Same here; my typical foreign <a> as in how I pronounce German, Spanish, or Italian /a/ is the same as my native Milwaukeean PALM/LOT.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Travis B. wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:49 am
Linguoboy wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:25 am
Same here; my typical foreign <a> as in how I pronounce German, Spanish, or Italian /a/ is the same as my native Milwaukeean PALM/LOT.
Plus I based my pronunciation of the Munster Irish diphthong /ia/ (which contrasts with /iə/) on the broad Chicago pronunciation of /æ/. (That was definitely an aha-moment.)
anteallach

Post by anteallach »

Travis B. wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:17 am
MacAnDàil wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:43 pm I would add that AFAICT most varieties of English do not in fact pronounce [æ] but [a]. The phonetics lab archive seems intresting though; I'll go on when I'm on a more advanced computer.
What counts as "most varieties of English"? I have seen this claim made before about EngE, but I have never heard it made about NAE or AusE.

And what do you have for [a] anyways? (Are you literally treating it as a low front vowel, as opposed to the low central vowel everyone uses it for?) I have [a] for PALM, yet the vowel I have for it is lower and more central than the vowel most Americans have in TRAP.
[a] is found in TRAP words (except before nasals) in North American dialects with the Canadian and Californian shifts. These dialects are generally those which have PALM and LOT merged with THOUGHT as a definitely back vowel.

It is apparently also a feature of the dialect of Providence, Rhode Island.