Language Telephone - TEAM 1 RESULTS AND TEAM 2 RESULTS!

Topics that can go away
Moose-tache

Language Telephone - TEAM 1 RESULTS AND TEAM 2 RESULTS!

Post by Moose-tache »

Team 1 is below.
Team 2 is here, or at the bottom of this post below Team 1.

The Results for Team 1 are finally in!

Here is the original text, taken from the literary classic “Hogar, Lord of the Asyr,” one of the many (many) sf/f novels that grace my shelf by the sheer merit of having an incredibly stupid cover and title. It reads like a slightly more coherent Eye of Argon, with every other word replaced by some invented term designed to sound vaguely Norse. This passage actually has a lower than usual density of pseudo-Norse terminology, but was mostly chosen for having a higher than normal density of cringe-worthy sex.

When they had ungirded their loins, he knew her; and she knew for the first time of love's fierce sweetness. The mare whinnied once, when she cried out; then all was still but for the pounding of two young hearts.
When they had taken their fill of love, Hogar and Ragnahild walked naked to the tarn, where they bathed themselves and splashed each other playfully. It was then he asked her concerning the mark above her left breast.
“It is not a birthmark, if that be what you surmise,” she told him. “It is my swan-mark.”
“A swan maiden,” Hogar half whispered, as though to himself.
“I am but a novice of the order,” said Ragnahild, indicating her unfeathered initiate's cloak. “This was my first combat with a man. A swan maiden may take a husband or a lover, but she must accept the first man who bests her in battle, or be slain. Either by him or by her own hand. I am glad thou were the one, Hogar Bloodsword, for I love thee.” For a moment she lapsed into the Old Tongue of the skalds. “I carry thy seed in my womb. I shall bare thee a son, and he shall be called Hukert, one day King of the Asyr and the Vandir; and there shall be peace at last between our peoples.”
“The name Hukert has a good ring to it,” was the best reply Hogar could muster.

Here is Raphael's translation into German:
More: show
Als sie ihre Lendenschürze losgelöst hatten, kannter er sie; und sie wußte zum ersten Mal von der stürmischen Süße der Liebe. Die Stute wieherte einmal, als sie aufschrie; dann war alles still außer dem heftigen Schlagen der beiden jungen Herzen.
Als sie genug von der Liebe getrunken hatten, gingen Hogar und Ragnahild zum Tümpel, wo sie badeten und und sich spielerisch gegenseitig nassspritzten. Zu dieser Zeiten fragte er sie über das Mal über ihrer linken Brust.
"Es ist kein Muttermal, wenn du das denkst" sagte sie ihm. "Es is mein Schwanenmal."
"Eine Schwanenjungfer" flüsterte Hogar halb, als ob er es nur sich selbst sagte.
"Ich bin nur eine Novizin des Ordens" sagte Ragnahild und zeigte auf ihren losgelösten Novizinnenmantel. "Dies war mein erstes Gefecht mit einem Mann. Eine Schwanenjungfer darf einen Ehemann oder einen Liebhaber nehmen, aber sie muss den ersten Mann akzeptieren, der sie im Gefecht schlägt, oder sterben. Entweder durch ihn oder durch ihre eigene Hand. Ich bin froh, dass Ihr derjenige wart, Hogar Blutschwert, denn ich liebe Euch." Für einen Moment wechselte sie in die Alte Zunge der Skalden. "Ich trage Eure Saat in mir. Ich werde Euch einen Sohn gebären, und sein Name soll Hukert sein, eines Tages König der Asyr und der Vandir; und es soll endlich Frieden zwischen unseren Völkern sein."
"Der Name Hukert klingt gut" war die beste Antwort die Hogar einfiel.
After Raphael translated the text into German, Linguoboy translated it into Spanish, giving us our first English approximation.

When they had both detached their loincloths, he knew her; and she knew for the first time of the tempestuous sweetness of love. The mare neighed once when she cried out; then everything was quiet apart from the forceful beating of the two young hearts.
When they had drunk enough of love, Hogar and Ragnahild went to the pool, where they bathed and playfully splashed one another wet. At this times [sic], he asked her about the mark above her left breast.
"It's not a birthmark, if that's what you think," she said to him. "It's my swan-mark."
"A swan-maiden," half-whispered Hogar, as if he said it only to himself.
"I am only a novice of the order," said Ragnahild and pointed to her detached novice robe. "This was my first fight with a man. A swan-maiden may take a husband or a lover, but she must accept the first man who beats her in combat, or die. Either through him or through her own hand. I am glad that you were the one, Hogar Bloodsword, because I love you." For a moment, she changed into the Old Tongue of the Skalds. "I carry your seed in me. I am going to bear you a son, and his name shall be Hukert, one day King of the Asyr and Vandir; and there shall finally be peace between our peoples."
"The name Hukert sounds good" was the best reply that occurred to Hogar.
Cuando habían desatados su taparrabos la conoció y ella llegó a conocer por primera vez la tempestuosa dulzura del amor. La yegua soltó un relincho cuando gritó ella; entonces estaba todo tranquilo salvo que golpearon fuerte los dos corazones jovenes.
Cuando se habían bebido del amor hasta quedarse satisfechos, Hogar y Ragnahilda fueron a la alberca donde se bañaron y tontearon en salpicarse hasta mojarse. En este momento le preguntó a ella por el lunar en el pecho izquierdo.
«Éste no es un antojo, si eso es lo que crees» le dijo. «Éste es mi marca de cisne.»
«Una mujer-cisne» susurró Hogar a media voz, como diciendo sólo a sí mismo.
«Soy una novicia de la orden» dijo Ragnahilda y señaló su túnica de novicia desprendida. «Éste ha sido mi primer combate con un hombre. Una mujer-cisne puede casarse o echarse un amante pero debe que aceptar al primero que la vence en combate si no se moriré o por su mano o por la propia. Estoy feliz que habéis sido vos, Hogar Espada Sangriente, porque os amo.» Por un momento cambió de idioma a la Lengua Antigua de los escaldos. «Porto vuestra siembra en mí. Daré a luz a un hijo y su nombre será Hukert. Un día será Rey de los Asyr y los Vandir y habrá paz entre nuestros pueblos.»
«El nombre Hukert suena bien» era la mejor repuesta que se le ocurrió al Hogar.
Curiously, running the translation through German has rendered it less convoluted. One complication is that “unfeathered” became “detached.” Since losgelösten and gefiedert look nothing alike in German, I assume Raphael just misread “unfeathered” as “unfettered” or something. At this point I was worried that this absurd piece of writing would survive the telephone unscathed, but as we’ll see, this fear was unfounded. Ryusenshi then de-aged the Spanish into Latin.

Having removed their loincloths, he knew her, and she finally knew for the first time the tempestuous sweetness of love. The mare let forth a neigh when she cried; then everything was quiet, except from two young hearts beating strongly.
Having drunk from love until they had enough, Hogar and Ragnahilda went to the swimming pool, where they bathed, and slashed each other foolishly until they were wet. At this moment, he asked her about the mole on the left breast.
"This isn't a whim, if that's what you think", she said to him. "This is my mark of the swan."
"A swan-woman" whispered Hogar in a low voice, as if he was speaking only to himself.
"I am a novice of the order" said Ragnahilda, and she showed her novice tunic hanging.
"This was my first fight with a man. A swan-woman can marry or get a lover, but she has to accept the first man who defeats her in combat if she does not die, either by his/her hand, or by itself. I am happy that it was you, Hogar Bloodied Sword, because I love you." For a moment she changed the language to the Ancient Tongue of the bards. "I carry your seed in me. I will give the light to a son, and his name will be Hukert. One day he will be King of the Asyr and the Vandir, and there will be peace between our peoples."
"The name Hukert sounds good" was the best answer that occurred to Hogar.
Pannis abiunctis, illam cognivit, illaque tandem primo cognovit amoris tempestuosam dulcitudinem. Equa hinnitum emisit quando illa clamavit; deinde totum tranquillum erat, praeter duos palpitantes fortiter iuvenes cordes.
Amore bibiti usque satis habere, Hogar Ragnahildaque ierunt piscinam ubi balneaverunt asperseruntque stulte ad humorem. Tunc illi petivit de naevo in sinistra mamma.
"Istud arbitrium non est, si hoc quod credes" dixit illi. "Istud nota mea cycni est".
"Cycnus-mulier" insusurravit parva voce Hogar, tanquam dixerit ipsi soli.
"Ordinis novicia sum" dixit Ragnahilda et ostendi abiunctam tunicam suam noviciae. "Prima pugna mea cum viro istud fuit. Cycnus-mulier nubere vel amantem fieri potest sed huic est accipiendus primum qui in pugna hanc vicit si non moreretur, aut per suam manum, aut per propiam. Fuisse te istum gaudeo, Hogar Gladie Sanguine, quia te amo." Tempore momento sermonem vertit in Antiquam Linguam bardeorum. "In me tuam seminam fero. Lucem filio dabo et nomen ejus Hukert erit. Cras Asyrum Vandirumque rex, et pax inter populos nostros erit."
"Nomen Hukert bonum auditur" fuit optimum responsum quod Hogari accidit.
The “slashed” here is a typo in English. The Latin has “balneaverunt.” The changes from “birthmark” to “whim” and “give birth” to “give light” are simply bad luck. Spanish uses the same terms for both. You’ll notice that “Skald” has reverted to its literal meaning “bard.” This is not because linguoboy couldn’t find a Spanish equivalent; he just used “escaldo.” Ryusenshi made the judgment call to switch to the word “bard.” Since “bardus” in Latin means stupid, I was very excited for future translations to speak of the “ancient language of the idiots,” but alas it was not to be. Next, Finlay translated Latin to Japanese, because he’s cool like that.

Their clothes off, he knew her, and she finally learned of the tempestuous sweetness of love.
A mare neighed when she cried out, then all was quiet, except for two powerfully beating young hearts.
Drunk on love to satiation, Hogar and Ragnahilda went into the pool, where they bathed, and foolishly defiled the water.
Then he asked her about the mark on her left breast.
"That wasn't my doing, if that's what you're thinking," she told him. "That's the brand of the swan."
"The swan-woman," whispered Hogar under his breath, as though he were alone.
"I am the new order," said Ragnahilda, and indicated her discarded tunic again. "That was the first fight of mine with a man. The swan-woman can marry or fall in love, but it is in this undertaking that she was first defeated in battle - and her opponent didn't die, neither by another's hand, nor by her own. For that I am glad of you, Hogar Bloody-Sword, and so I love you." From that point she started moving and speaking in the ancient language of the Bards. "I take your seed inside me. I will give light to a son, and he will be called Hukert. He will be the future king of the Asyrs and Vandirs, and peace will be among our peoples."
"The name Hukert sounds good," was the best response Hogar could come up with.
洋服を抜いて、彼女を知って、彼女は遂に愛の激しい甘みを初めて知った。
彼女が叫んだと牝馬は嘶いた。そして、二つの力強く打っている若い心臓を除いて、全く静かになった。
満足が行くまで恋に酔っていたホーガルとラグナヒルダはプールに入って、あそこで間抜けに浴して水を汚れていた。
それから左の胸にある母斑について彼女に頼んだ。
「思ってたら、それは意志ではないの」と彼に言った。「それは私のハクチョウの烙印なのだ」
「ハクチョウ女」とホーガルは自分に言ったように小声で囁いた。
「我は新たな体制だ」とラグナヒルダは言って、また彼女の抜いた上着を示した。「それは私の初めての男と戦いだったんだ。ハクチョウ女は結婚したり、恋にしたりできるが、これに戦いで彼女を初めて負かして自分でも、人手でも死ななかったことを引き受けられた。だったと私は君に喜ぶ、血塗れ剣のホーガルよ。だから愛してる」その時点からバードの古い言葉に演説を変わった。「我の中にお前の精子を受く。明かりを息子に与えて、彼の名前はフーケルトになる。将来にアシール人とヴァンディール人の王であって、我々の民族の間に平和がある」
「フーケルトという名前は良さそうだな」とはホーガルの考えられる最高の応答だった。
So what happened here with “defile” is that “aspergere” means to sprinkle about, or “splash” in this case, but it can also mean to stain or besmirch. Unfortunately “I am the new order” is just a translation error. “Ordinis” is clearly genitive, but Finlay was presumably confused that “novicia” is adjectival in form. I was impressed that “tempestuous sweetness” made it through unscathed, until I remembered that “tempestuous” is Latin.
If you’re wondering what in the hell happened with “if her opponent didn’t die, neither by her own hand…” well, linguoboy seems to have gone with “she must marry the first man to conquer her if she is not to die,” or “si no se moriré.” In Latin the one who conquers her and the part about not dying got smushed together because Latin syntax, and we ended up with “qui in pugna hanc vicit si non moreretur.” Wild. Note that Hukert is still Hukert because Finlay saw the Latin. Watch this space. Yiuel translated the Japanese text into Esperanto.

Undressing, learning of the girl, she first learn of the furious sweetness of love.
As she screamed, the horse cried. Then, save for the two young hearts beating strong, it became completely silent.
Until they were pleased, Horgal and Ragnahilda went into the pool, bathed and sullied the water.
Then he asked about the birthmark on her left breast.
“As I think, this is not my will,” she told him. “This is my Swan Branding”
“Swan Girl,” he said with a low voice as if speaking to himself.
“This is a new body,” said Ragnahilda, showing the dress she had taken off. “This is my first fight with a man. Swan women may love or marry, but being first vanquished by a man with being killed by man’s hand, I can accept. Thus I shall please you, Horgal Bloodysword. I shall love you.” Then she began to utter the old words of a Bard, “I receive your sperm into myself. Give light to the son, and be he named Fukert. In the future, he will be king of the Asil and Vandil, and he will make peace between our peoples.”
“Fukert seems like a nice name,” was the best answer he could give.
Elvestiĝinte, koniĝinte la virinon, ŝi eklernis la furiozan dolĉecon de amo.
Ŝi ekkriante, la ĉevalino ekkriis. Cetere, krom la du junaj koroj kiuj energiforte batis, tute malbruiĝis.
Ĝis plensatiĝo, Horgal kaj Ragnahilda ennaĝejiĝis kaj tie baniĝis kaj malpurigis la akvon.
Tiam li demandis pri la naskmakulo sur la maldesktra mamo.
« Pensante, tio ne estas volo. » ŝi lin diris. « Tio estas mia cigna brulmarko. »
« Cigna virino » li per malforta voĉo pepi kiel parolante al si.
« Tio estas nova enkorpiĝo. » Ragnahilda diris, celvidigante siajn elvestiĝitajn survestaĵojn. « Tio estis mia unua batalo kun viro. Cigna virino povas interalie ami aŭ edziĝi, sed unuafoje venkite de homo per batalo sen mortiĝi per homa mano, mi povas akcepti. Tial mi plezurigos vin, Horgal Sangoplenglavo. Vin mi amu. » Tiam ŝi ekkomencis psalmi praajn vortojn de legendpoemisto. « Mi ricevas ene de mi cian spermon. Al la filo donu la lumon, igu ties nomon al Fukert. Estonte, li iĝos reĝon de la popoloj de Asil kaj Vandil, kaj li estigos pacon inter niaj popoloj. »
« Fukert ŝajnas bona nomo », estis la nura plejtaŭga respondo kiu li povis doni.
Linguoboy’s Spanification of the name “Ragnahild” has allowed it to pass through the linguistic wood chipper that is Japanese phonology unscathed. After moonlighting as a mark and a mole, and disappearing entirely from its original spot in the fifth paragraph, the word “birthmark” has now returned to us. Excellent job correctly translating “バード” among all the proper nouns. Yiuel has done a fantastic job untying the Gordian knot, with only a few issues of translation here and there. “君に喜ぶ” has become “please you” instead of “pleased with you.” And “体制,” “system,” has become “body,” presumably since that’s what “体” means on its own. Finally Nerulent brought us home by translating Esperanto back into English.

As he undressed and familiarised himself with the woman, she started to learn the furious sweetness of love. As she began to cry out, the mare cried as well. In any case, except for the two young hearts which fought energetically, all was quiet.
Once satisfied, Horgal and Ragnahilda entered the pool and there they bathed and dirtied the water. Then he asked about the birthmark on her right breast.
"I don't think this is my desire," she told him. "This is my swan brand."
"Swan woman," he peeped in a quiet voice, as if talking to himself.
"This is a new embodiment," Ragnahilda said, indicating her discarded clothing. "This was my first battle with a man. A swan woman can, among other things, love or marry, but for the first time having been conquered by a human in battle without dying at the hand of that man, I can now accept it. For that reason I pleasure you, Horgal Bloody-Sword. Let me love you." Then she began to intone ancient words of legendary poets. "I take your sperm within me. Let light be brought to our son, let his name be Fukert. In the days to come, he will become king to the people of Asil and Vandil, and bring a peace between our nations."
"Fukert seems a good name," was the only suitable response that he could give.

I really did not expect “As she began to cry out, the mare cried as well” to make it to the end mostly intact, although it does raise some questions about the mare’s role in all this “familiarizing.” And the part about falling in love with your conqueror is surprisingly coherent as well. Man, I may have to rethink my opinion of Esperanto as an effective medium for international communication. Thank you so much everyone who participated, and keep an eye out for team 2.

---And here is Team 2!---

Team 2, the “Duke Nukem Forever” of language telephones, is finally ready!

Here is the starting text. It's a short exert from a science fiction story that I found in... I believe Galaxy Magazine circa 1951? I chose it because the word play and dialogue seemed tricky even though the vocabulary was baby level. Turns out, it was nearly impossible to maintain accurately.

Suddenly the situation struck him as fantastically ridiculous—there was Pat carefully relating the story of Little Red Riding Hood to a humorless monstrosity of the night-side of Venus! The girl cast him a perplexed glance as he roared into a gale of laughter.
"Tell him the one about the traveling man and the farmer's daughter!" he said, choking. "See if you can get a smile from him!"
She joined his laughter. "But it's really a serious matter," she concluded. "Imagine it, Ham! Intelligent life on the dark side! Or are you intelligent?" she asked suddenly of the thing on the ice.
"I am intelligent," it assured her. "I'm intelligently intelligent."
"At least you're a marvelous linguist," said the girl. "Did you ever hear of learning English in half an hour, Ham? Think of that!" Apparently her fear of the creature had vanished.
"Well; let's make use of it," suggested Ham. "What's your name, friend?" There was no reply.
"Of course," put in Pat. "He can't tell us his name until we give it to him in English, and we can't do that because—Oh, well, let's call him Oscar, then. That'll serve."
"Good enough. Oscar, what are you, anyway?"
"Human, I'm a man."
"Eh? I'll be damned if you are!"
"Those are the words you've given me. To me I am a man to you."
"Wait a moment. 'To me I am—' I see, Pat. He means that the only words we have for what he considers himself are words like man and human. Well, what are your people, then?"
"People."
"I mean your race. What race do you belong to?"
"Human."

First vijay translated the text into Turkish.
Birdenbire hal ona fevkalade gülünç gelirmiş—işte Pat, Venüs'ün gece olan kısmının bir keyifsiz canavarına Kırmızı Başlıklı Kız'ın hikayesi dikkatle anlatmış! O kız, onun kahkaha tufanına attığı zaman kafası karışmış gibi ona bir göz atmış.
"Yolculuk adam ve çiftçinin kızıyla ilgili fıkrayı ona anlat!" boğulken demiş. "Güldürmeye çalış!"
Kız onunla beraber gülmüş. "Ancak gerçekten ciddi bir şey," sona ermiş. "Ham, hayal et! Karanlık taraftaki zeki yaşam! Ya da sen zekisin?" birden buzdaki şeye sormuş.
"Ben zekiyim," ona temin etmiş. "Akıllıca zekiyim."
"Her neyse harika bir dilbilimcisin," kız demiş. "Ham, buçuk saat içinde İngilizce öğretmek diye bir şey hiç duydun mu? Bunu bir düşün!" Görünüşte yaratıktan korkusu gitmiş.
"Peki kullanalım," Ham önermiş. "Arkadaş, adın ne?" Cevap yokmuş.
"Tabii," Pat söze karışmış. "İngilizcede adını takacağımız kadar bize söyleyemez ve adını takamayız çünkü—neyse, şu halde adı Oscar olsun. Yeter."
"İyi. Herhalde Oscar, sen nesin?"
"İnsan, ben adamım."
"Haa? İnsan olsan çok şaşırdım!"
"O bana verdiğin sözler. Bence sence bir adamım."
"Bir dakika. 'Bence sence—' Pat, anladım. Yani ki kendisini ne sandığı için fakat adam, insan gibi sözlerimiz var. Peki şu halde halkın ne?"
"Halk."
"Yani ırkın. Irkın ne?"
"İnsan."
Next akam chinjir translated the text into Old Chinese. Or Classical Chinese. I was assured it's the same, but given the level of error, I am suspicious.
俄而其勢使之笑。太白之陰有悲哀之怪獸,而女撥為之謹誦小紅帽之傳。子酣浩浩然笑之,女撥乃顧之若惑。

子酣喘喘然曰:「何不語之以遊客與農夫之女之事?嘗試使之笑。」

女撥與之同笑,而後止。曰:「然而此誠爲重事也。子酣請思之。玄冥之中生有知之物哉!」女撥乍顧冰上之物而問之曰:「汝亦有知乎?」

彼曰:「吾固有知矣。智而有知者也。」

女撥曰:「雖無他焉,汝亦精於學語者也。子酣,汝嘗聞可用而暫教英語者乎?請慮之。」似不懼彼物矣。

子酣應之曰:「然。吾嘗試之。呼!汝名何也?」無答。

女撥曰:「然哉!吾非命之以英語之名則彼無以答而吾無以謂之。然則其名將為怨古。足矣。」

曰:「善。然而怨古,汝何也?」

曰:「人也。吾士也。」

曰:「譆!汝人矣,吾甚奇之。」

曰:「此乃汝所予之名也。吾自以為汝所以為士。」

曰:「何謂也?『自以為汝所以為』也者--- 女撥,吾明矣。欲自以為何如,則有人者,有士者,其有吾予之之名而已矣。然則,請問何民也?」

曰:「民也。」

曰:「若夫種, 何種也?」

曰:「人也。」
Suddenly the situation struck him as extremely funny. There was Pat, carefully telling the story of Little Red Riding Hood to a dejected monster of Venus's night side! While he was laughing up a storm, the girl gave him a confused look.
"Tell it the one about the traveler and the farmer's daughter!" he gasped. "Try to make it laugh!"
The girl laughed with him. "But it is a serious matter," she stopped. "Ham, imagine! Intelligent life on the dark side! And are you intelligent?" she suddenly asked the thing on the ice.
"I am intelligent," it assured her. "Wisely intelligent."
"Anyway a wonderful linguist," the girl said. "Ham, do you know anything to teach it English for half an hour? Think about it!" It seemed her fear of the creature had left.
"Well let's try," Ham suggested. "Friend, what is your name?" There was no answer.
"Of course," Pat interjected. "Since it cannot tell us and we cannot name it until we give it an English name---anyway, in that case let its name be Oscar. That'll do."
"Okay. In that case, Oscar, what are you?"
"Human. I am a person."
"Oh? I am very surprised if you are human!"
"Those are words you gave to me. I think to you I am a person."
"A moment. "I think to you---" Pat, I understand. It's that in order to think what it is, it only has our words, like person, human. In that case, what is your people?"
"People."
"And your race. What is your race?"
"Human."

Zompist took on the task of translating the Old Chinese into Portuguese.
De repente, sua situação o fêz rir. Essa estranha fera triste da escuridão do Grande Branco, e Nhabat lhe contava cuidadosamente a história do Chapeuzinho Vermelho. Chigam riu calorosamente, enquanto Nhabat o olhava confusa.
Chigam ofegou, dizendo, “Por que não a historia do viajante e a filha do fazendeiro? Tente de fazer rir.”
Nhabat riu com ele, e depois parou. Ela disse, “Sim, mas isso é um assunto sério. Chigam, por favor, pensa sobre isso. Há um ser inteligente no meio da escuridão!”
Nhabat olhou primeiro pra criatura acima do gelo, e lhe perguntou, “Você também é inteligente?”
Disse, “Certo que sou inteligente. Eu tenho inteligencia e sabedoria.”
Nhabat disse, “Mesmo que você não tenha outra coisa, você é em essência um aprendiz de idiomas. Chigam, você já ouviu falar de alguém capaz de ensinar inglês temporáriamente? Por favor, se preocupe com isso.”
Ela parecia não temer mais a criatura.
Chigam tinha que dizer, “Tentarei sim. Como você se chama?”
Nenhuma resposta.
Nhabat disse, “Sim! Eu não utilizei um nome em inglês para ele, então não há resposta, e eu não tenho palavras. Então, sim, o seu nome será Yanquo. Isso servirá.”
Ele disse, “Bom. Então, Yanquo, o que é que você é?”
“Eu sou um humano. Eu sou um perito.”
“Ei! Se você é um humano, está muito estranho.”
“Este é realmente o nome que você me deu. Eu mesmo sou. Você é um perito.”
Ele disse, “O que é que você disse? ‘Mesmo sou, você é um...’ o que é… Nhabat, agora entendo. Se você quer o que está feito, então há humanos, há peritos, ele tem o nome que eu dei, e isso é tudo. Então, por favor, o que são as pessoas?”
“São as pessoas.”
“Se um homen têm descendência, o que é?”
“São os humanos.”
Suddenly his situation made him laugh. This strange sorrowful beast of the Great White’s darkness, and Nyabat was carefully telling it the story of Little Red Riding Hood. Tsegam laughed heartily, as Nyabat looked at him in confusion.
Tsegam gasped, saying, "Why not the story of the traveler and the farmer's daughter? Try to make it laugh.”
Nyabat laughed with him, then stopped. She said, "Yes, but this a serious matter. Tsegam, please think about it. There is a sentient being amid the darkness!"
Nyabat first looked at the creature above the ice, and asked it, “Are you sentient too?”
It said, “I certainly am sentient. I have sentience and wisdom.”
Nyabat said, “Even if you have no other one, you are essentially a language learner. Tsegam, have you heard of someone being able to temporarily teach English? Please worry about that.”
She seemed not to fear the creature any longer.
Tsegam had to say, “Yes, I’ll try. What is your name?"
No reply.
Nyabat said, “Right! I didn’t use an English name for it, so there is no answer, and I don’t have words. So, yes, its name will be Yanquo. That will do.”
He said, “Good. So, Yanquo, you are what?”
It said, “A human. I am a scholar.”
He said, "Hey! If you are a human, that is very strange."
It said, “This is indeed the name you gave me. I myself am. You are a scholar."
He said, “What did you say? ‘Myself am, you are a’… which is…. Nyabat, I am now clear. If you want what’s done, so there are humans, and there are scholars, he has the name I gave, and that’s all. If so, please, what are people?”
It said, "They are people."
He said, "If a human has offspring, what are they?"
It said, "They're humans."

In a parallel move to Team 1, ser de-aged the Portuguese back to Latin.
Dē imprōvīsō, tempus quō erat coēgit eum ridēre. Dē ferā illā et tristī et īnsolitā ē tenebrīs Magnī Albī prōvenientī, dēque Puellae Palliolī Rubrī historiā Nhabat nārrābat cūriōsē. Chigam calidē rīsit, dum Nhabat perplexa eum aspicit.
Chigam suspīrāvit atque "Quamobrem" inquit "nōn dē historiā illā dē viātōre et agricolī fīliā refers? Cōnāre agere ut rideam."
Nhabat cum eō rīsit, tum dēstitit. "Ita agam," inquit "sed illud sērium est. Chigam, quaesō, dē eō cōgitā. Est enim aliquis rātiōne praeditus in tenebrīs mediīs!"
Nhabat prīma aspiciēns ad bestiam super gelum stantem, eī rogāns "Numquid" inquit "rātiōne praeditus es?"
"Vērum est" respondit "mē rātiōne praeditum. Sunt enim mihi et rātiō et sapientia."
Nhabat "etsī praetereā nihil" inquit "habēs, rēapse studiōsus linguārum es. Chigam, audīvistī dē aliquō quī linguam Anglicam aliquamdiū docēre possit? Hoc, quaesō, cūrā."
Nhabat nōn iam timēre feram vidēbātur.
Chigam necessāriō "Cōnābor," inquit "tibi audīvī. Quid nōmen tibi est?"
Nūllum respōnsum fuit.
Nhabat "Rēctē!" inquit "Quia nūllō nōmine ūsa sum anglicō ad eum nōminandum, nūllum respōnsum est, nec quid dīcam teneō. Nōmen igitur eius Yanquo erit. Id sufficiet."
Chigam "Bene habet. Ergō, Yanquo," inquit "quid es?"
"Hūmānus sum. Perītus sum."
"Heus! Sī tū hūmānus, mīrus valdē vidēris."
"Hoc vērē est nōmen quod mihi dedistī. Ego ipse sum. Tū es perītus."
Ille "Quidnam" inquit "dīcis? 'Ego ipse sum, tū es...' Quidnam... Nhabat, nunc intellegō. Sī vīs id quod factum est, deinde sunt hūmānī, sunt perītī, nōmenque eī est quod dedī; tantum est. Nunc, quaesō, quid hominēs sunt?"
"Hominēs sunt."
"Sī vir prōgeniem dat, quid est?"
"Hūmānī sunt."
Suddenly, his situation made him laugh. That strange sad beast from the darkness of the Great White [sic: no verb], and Nhabat was carefully telling him the story of Little Red Riding Hood. Chigam laughed warmly, while Nhabat, confused, looked at him.
Chigam sighed, saying, "Why not the story of the traveler and the farmer's daughter? Try to make [me] laugh."
Nhabat laughed with him, and then she stopped. She said, "Yes, but that is a serious matter. Chigam, please, think about that. There is an intelligent being in the middle of the darkness!"
Nhabat looked first at the creature above the ice, and asked him [the creature], "Are you also intelligent?"
He said, "It's true that I am intelligent. I am intelligent and wise."
Nhabat said, "although you don't have anything else, you're essentially a language learner. Chigam, have you heard of anyone able to teach English for a short time? Please, be concerned about that."
She seemed to not be afraid of the creature anymore.
Chigam had to say, "I'll try, yes. What's your name?"
No answer.
Nhabat said, "Yes! I didn't use a name in English for him, therefore there is no answer, and I don't have words. So, yes, his name will be Yanquo. That'll do."
He said, "Alright. So, Yanquo, what are you?"
"I am a human. I am an expert."
"Hey! If you're a human, you look very weird."
"This is really the name that you gave me. I am myself. You are an expert."
He said, "What are you saying? 'I am myself, you are an...' What is... Nhabat, now I understand. If you want what is already done, then there are humans and there are experts, he has the name I gave him, and that is all. So, please, what is a person?" [Lit.: what are people?]
"A person is a person." [Lit.: they are people.]
"If a man has a progeny, what is he?"
"They are humans."

After that mistakes were made by someone at sometime, and long story short, Ryusenshi translated Latin to French about three and a half months later.
À l'improviste, il était temps de le faire rire. Nhabat parlait avec application de cette bête sauvage, sombre et inconnue provenant des ténèbres de la Grande Blanche, et de l'histoire de la Fille à la Capuche Rouge. Chigam rit avec chaleur, alors que Nhabat le regarde d'un air mystérieux.
Chigam prit une inspiration, puis :
Pourquoi, dit-il, ne présentes-tu pas l'histoire du voyageur et de la fille du paysan ? Essaie de me faire rire.
Nhabat rit avec lui, puis s'arrêta.
Que je fasse ainsi, dit-elle, mais ceci est sérieux. Chigam, je te demande, réfléchis à ça. Il y a en effet quelque chose doué de raison au milieu des ténèbres !
Nhabat, regardant la première la bête debout sur le givre, lui demanda :
Est-ce bien vrai, dit-elle, que tu es doué de raison ?
C'est vrai, répondit-il, que je suis doué de raison. Je possède la raison et l'intelligence.
D'ailleurs, dit Nhabat, même si tu n'avais rien d'autre, tu es effectivement connaisseur en langues. Chigam, aurais-tu entendu parler de quelqu'un qui pourrait enseigner quelque temps la langue anglaise ? Je te demande, occupe-toi de ça.
Nhabat semblait ne plus avoir peur de la bête.
J'essaierai, dit précipitamment Chigam, je t'ai entendue. Comment tu t'appelles ?
Il n'y eut aucune réponse.
Bien ! dit Nhabat. Puisque je ne me suis servie d'aucun nom en anglais pour le nommer, il n'y a aucune réponse, et je n'ai rien à dire. Son nom sera donc Yanquo. Cela suffira.
Cela va bien, dit Chigam. Donc, Yanquo, qu'est-ce que tu es ?
Je suis humain. Je suis un expert.
Hé ! Si tu es humain, tu as l'air vraiment étonnant.
C'est vraiment le nom que tu m'as donné. Je suis moi-même. Tu es un expert.
Que dis-tu donc ? dit-il "Je suis moi-même, tu es..." Quoi donc... Nhabat, maintenant je comprends. Si tu veux ce qui s'est passé, ensuite ils sont humains, ils sont experts, et le nom est celui que je lui ai donné ; c'est tout. Alors, je demande, que sont les hommes ?
Ce sont des hommes.
Si un homme a une descendance, qu'est-ce que c'est ?
Ce sont des humains.
Unexpectedly, it was time to make him laugh. Nhabat was speaking cautiously about this somber and unknown beast, originating from the darkness of the Great White, and about the story of the Girl with the Red Hood. [*] Chigam laughed warmly, while Nhabat looks[**] at him mysteriously.
Chigam took his breath, and then said "Why don't you bring up the story of the traveller and the farmer's daughter? Try to make me laugh."
Nhabat laughed with him, then stopped. "I could do this", she said, "but this is serious. Chigam, I ask you, think about this. There is indeed something gifted with reason in the middle of the darkness!"
Nhabat, looking first at the beast standing over the frost, asking him "Is it possible", she said, "that you are gifted with reason?"
"It is true", he answered, "I am gifted with reason. I am indeed endowed with reason and intelligence."
"Even if", said Nhabat, "you had nothing else, you are really knowledgeable about languages. Chigam, have you heard about anyone who could teach the English tongue for some time? I ask you, look after it."
Nhabat seemed no longer afraid of the beast.
Chigam urgently said "I will try, I've heard you. What's your name?"
There was no answer.
"Right!" said Nhabat, "Since I have used no English name to call him, there is no answer, and I don't have one to say. [***] His name shall thus be Yanquo. It will suffice."
"He has well. So, Yanquo" said Chigam, "what are you?"
"I am human. I am an expert."
"Hey! If you are human, you surely look surprising."
"This is truly the name that you gave me. I am myself. You are an expert."
"What did you say?" he said. "'I am myself, you are...' What... Nhabat, now I understand. If you whant that which happened, then they are human, they are experts, and the name is what you gave him: that is all.[****] Now, I ask, what are men?"
"They are men."
"If a man has a progeny, what is it?"
"They are humans."[/i]

Then the Gods decided they hadn't toyed with us enough and ultimately Nerulent brought us home by translating the French back into English. Honestly, I'm kind of scared to show it to the public, because apparently looking at this text makes people disappear without a trace.

Unexpectedly, it was time to make him laugh. Nhabat was speaking by means of the wild, dark and unknown, beast, which came out of the darkness of the Great White, and from the story of the Girl with the Red Hood. Chigam laughed with warmth, while Nhabat watched him mysteriously.
Chigam took a breath, then he said, "why don't you tell the story of the traveller and the farmer's daughter? Try to make me laugh.
Nhabat laughed with him, then stopped herself. "I will do so," she said, "but this is serious. Chigam, I ask you, think on this. There is indeed something gifted with reason in the darkness!"
Nhabat, looking for the first time at the beast standing on the frost, asked it, "is it true that you are gifted with reason?"
"It is true," it answered, "that I am gifted with reason. I possess reason and intelligence."
"Besides," Nhabat said, "even if you have nothing else, you are indeed a knower of language. Chigam, would you have heard about someone who could teach the English language some time? I implore you to take care of this." Nhabat was no longer scared of the beast.
"I will try," Chigam said hurriedly, "I heard you. What is your name?"
There was no answer.
"Well!" said Nhabat. "Because I didn't use any name in English to name it, there wasn't any response, and I have nothing to say. Its name will henceforth be Yanquo. It will suffice."
"That works well," said Chigam. "So, Yanquo, what are you?"
"I am human. I am an expert."
"Huh! If you are human, you look really astonishing.
"It is really just the name you gave me. I am myself. You are an expert."
"So what are you saying?" he asked. "'I am myself, you are...' So what... Nhabat, now I understand. If you desire what has happened, then they are humans, they are experts, and its name is what I have given it; that is all. Well then, I ask, what are men?"
"These are men."
"If a man, has descendants, what are they?"
"They are humans."

Sorry you'll have to provide your own commentary to this one. Thank you all so much for contributing, and for being so patient!
Last edited by Moose-tache on Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:54 am, edited 29 times in total.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Raphael

Re: Language Telephone

Post by Raphael »

Given that we can't physically whisper into each others' ears hears, how exactly would the details work? It sounds fun, though.
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

I think I'd be interested. I'm kind of the linguistic wildcard in these sorts of games. :P
Yiuel Raumbesrairc

Post by Yiuel Raumbesrairc »

Raphael wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:29 am Given that we can't physically whisper into each others' ears hears, how exactly would the details work? It sounds fun, though.
You translate a given short text, so there's no sound involved.

I'm in. Can translate French, English, Japanese and Esperanto and can manage to translate from Swedish and Spanish into any of the aforementioned languages.
Ez amnar o amnar e cauč.
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

I can translate back and forth French and English and that's it. Maybe Hebrew and English if I don't have to write it in Hebrew letters.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
Ryusenshi

Post by Ryusenshi »

I'm interested. Unfortunately, I only know English, French and Spanish. I know a little German, but really not enough — it would be a trainwreck.

Edit: oh, I also know Latin. If anyone else knows it, it could be really funny.
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

I know a litle Classical Latin, just very basic level stuff.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

I once started writing poetry in dactylic hexameter in Latin.
Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

From and to: Standard Arabic, English, French, Latin, Mandarin, Spanish

Only from: Asturian, Cantonese, Catalan-Valencian, Old French, Galician, Italian, Portuguese, Romanian, Sardinian, Walloon
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I can only do from and to German and English.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Ich spreche ein bisschen Deutsch, aber mein Deutsch is nur nicht gut genug für Übersetzen mit Englisch.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

So if we include Raphael (I'm not sure whether Travis B. is interested), then so far, we'd have to put him either at the very end of the chain, with me translating into German for him before he translates my German to English, or at the beginning (assuming that the original text is in English) so he could translate from English to German and I could translate from German to something else.

EDIT: For whatever it's worth, the translation at the end of the game is a lot funnier if your translation involves at least one language you don't know well. :P
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

If someone translates into Dutch or Afrikaans, I could try to, umh, "translate" it based on my knowledge of English, German, northwestern German dialects, and the handful of Dutch words I picked up when I was lurking on Dutch web forums for a while, which I used to do because I'm weird.
akam chinjir

Post by akam chinjir »

I should be able to translate from Mandarin, Cantonese, classical Chinese, French, and Turkish, though the results might vary wildly with domain.

It might be fun to try translating into classical Chinese. In a pinch I could probably also come up with some Mandarin that's not complete nonsense.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

You know, I've always enjoyed the results of these but haven't participated in a long time.

I can handle French, Spanish, Portuguese either way.
I'll happily translate from Esperanto, Mandarin, Latin, Quechua. Probably making highly entertaining mistakes. Heck, Old Chinese too.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

Hurray! People are interested! Since we have a decent number of people now, I'm going to start the next step. In a couple of days I will make a roster of everyone who has signed up, with a schedule, and confirm that people will be able to translate at that time. So if you want to participate, please post here before Thursday September 12. Late comers... will probably be fine, but I'd rather not re-do the list several times. If we have more than a dozen people we might make two teams.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Ok, I'm in!
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Wait, do we need to clarify that we're in if we already said we're in? :?

I'm in, too.
finlay

Post by finlay »

I'm in. Can do Japanese, Latin, French. Other languages may be possible to translate out of in a pinch.

(I'm gonna "follow" this thread to get notifications, those of you who are worried that i hardly post here anymore :p )
Nerulent

Post by Nerulent »

I'm keen, I can comfortably translate French and at a stretch I can handle Esperanto, Spanish, Serbo-Croatian, Māori and Swahili.