Random Thread

Topics that can go away
Linguoboy

Re: Random Thread

Post by Linguoboy »

OMG you guise, my friend just texted me like, "What's your availability, P. wants to talk to you about updating his Wikipedia page."

I doubt he's anyone most of you would have heard of but he's a legend in the Chicago underground punk scene. Nothing like this has ever happened to me before! I'm like, "Do I record our conversations for posterity?" Who knows what kind of things a dying man might let drop when talking about his life and career?
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Linguoboy wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:13 pm I'm like, "Do I record our conversations for posterity?"
Wikipedia being Wikipedia, you may want to document your conversations for use when some fuckhead editor reverts all your changes as unsourced.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

zompist wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:18 pm
Linguoboy wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:13 pm I'm like, "Do I record our conversations for posterity?"
Wikipedia being Wikipedia, you may want to document your conversations for use when some fuckhead editor reverts all your changes as unsourced.
There's a reason I don't edit Wikipedia.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

I plan to encourage him to put everything he wants to keep in place into his obituary so I can cite it from there later.
Travis B. wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:25 pmThere's a reason I don't edit Wikipedia.
I've made lots of unsourced edits and this has never happened to me. I think it has a lot to do with what types of articles you edit.

Update: An editor just responded to my note on his talk page with a suggestion on how to document one of the changes I made. Hopefully he can work with me on getting the other changes (whatever they are) to stick. I'm at a minimum hoping for a better photograph.
Torco

Post by Torco »

Qwynegold wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:07 pm Torco? Have you returned?
Henlo, fren. yes, it is I.

I mean, who knows tbh. But the Mexica thread is probably gonna make me check the board every so often.
alynnidalar

Post by alynnidalar »

in fairness, people adding completely unsourced assertions to random people's Wikipedia's pages would not improve its usefulness
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

So my bandmates showed me this lyric video from a band who's releasing an album soon, claiming that it was cringy.

I unironically liked the music, and then proceeded to mostly like the second song of theirs they showed me and pre-order the album.

I find this incredibly amusing for reasons I can't comprehend.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

Man in Space wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:13 pm So my bandmates showed me this lyric video from a band who's releasing an album soon, claiming that it was cringy.

I unironically liked the music, and then proceeded to mostly like the second song of theirs they showed me and pre-order the album.

I find this incredibly amusing for reasons I can't comprehend.
Maybe they would like the music more if they could be bothered to show up for their own band practice?
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Qwynegold

Post by Qwynegold »

Torco wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:30 pm
Qwynegold wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:07 pm Torco? Have you returned?
Henlo, fren. yes, it is I.

I mean, who knows tbh. But the Mexica thread is probably gonna make me check the board every so often.
*waves*
Risla

Post by Risla »

Just found what may be the single densest sentence I've ever encountered in an academic paper:
However, if we accept the fact that the conventionalized construction with formulaic evaluative expression corresponding to the insubordinate construction is already mono-clausal, we can label it as a 'pseudo-insubordination', like the benefactive construction in the preceding subsection.
Courtesy of "Insubordination in Japanese diachronically" by Heiko Narrog. Interesting paper, but Jesus Christ I had to read thirty pages of that.
Torco

Post by Torco »

Risla wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:20 am
However, if we accept the fact that the conventionalized construction with formulaic evaluative expression corresponding to the insubordinate construction is already mono-clausal, we can label it as a 'pseudo-insubordination', like the benefactive construction in the preceding subsection.
auch
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

The latest XKCD made me think of the ZBB:

rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

Seriously though, I lift 40 times a day. What is the minimum weight I need to lift to see some health benefits? The last time I took my weight, I weighed 69 kg.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

69 kg seems like a perfectly reasonable amount for a body to weigh. What particular “health benefits” are you looking for?
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

Are you lifting to gain weight or lose weight? Lifting won't do jack shit for weight loss, and if you're trying to gain muscle you need a whole fitness regimen, preferably planned with the help of a personal trainer.
rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

I don't think I'm overweight for my age and height. I spend almost every waking moment hunched over a laptop. Isn't taking a few minutes to exercise good for my metabolism? I've zeroed in on weights because I'm so frail that jerking around my head too much like in jogging or even push ups brings on dizzy spells that may or may not be imaginary.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

rotting bones wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:55 pm I don't think I'm overweight for my age and height. I spend almost every waking moment hunched over a laptop.
Here's the rule I learned:
  • Find the maximum weight you can lift once. Say it's 20 kg.
  • Take 70% of that— in this case, 14 kg.
  • Do 10 reps of that weight.
The nice thing about this is that you can keep increasing reps rather than weights. If you can do 12 reps next week, do that, and keep adding reps.

The key thing is to keep increasing reps and then weights. If you do 10 reps a day (or 40 or whatever), you will not get stronger, you will only maintain your current strength.

Try to get someone more experienced to make sure you're doing it safely and correctly. It's not too cool to injure your back because you're lifting the wrong way.
rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

Oh no, 20 lbs is even lighter than 14 kg.
rotting bones wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:39 pm I've started my PhD program plus TA duties. I'm too terrified to go to the gym. I ordered two 10 lb dumbbells online. The were the heaviest available on Walmart. Amazon has locked me out because my old SIM is no longer valid. I can't find the breathing space to contact customer service. Maybe it's for the best for a lightweight like me. I'd lowered the weights from 60 lbs to 40 lbs on either side anyway because it was affecting my concentration. On the other hand, I don't know if 10 lbs will do anything at all. The dumbbells are foam-lined. I think they are for kids. But kids aren't supposed to lift weights IIRC, so I'm confused.
PS. Thanks for the answer.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

It sounds like you're not really sure what you're trying to do, other than general metabolic health. This is a situation where a personal trainer would be very helpful. Strength training might not be right for you. You may want to do more cardio, or a mix of both.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

rotting bones wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:18 pm Oh no, 20 lbs is even lighter than 14 kg.
The point is, don't fixate on the number. Fixate on increasing the reps.

So, you have two 10-pound weights. If you do (say) 10 reps, three times a day... you will stay at your current level. Keep increasing the reps.

If you're at the point where you can lift 10 pounds basically indefinitely, then yes, that weight is too low.