Natural languages and linguistics
Moose-tache

Re: Mis-hearings

Post by Moose-tache »

Travis B. wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:31 am
Moose-tache wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:47 am
Linguoboy wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:03 pm
Always have been.
He doesn't know how many of us gays there are on this site, because he has half of us on mute.
This is probably the most gay place on the Interwebs which is not dedicated to things gay in and of itself I've been at, something our friend here has managed to completely miss.
To continue this off-topic conversation, I recently saw an episode of RuPaul where a profoundly unpleasant performer made a good point: gays tend to gravitate toward hobbies you can learn by yourself, because they often don't have or are afraid to participate in, group activities as children. That certainly describes conlanging circa 1990.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
WarpedWartWars

Post by WarpedWartWars »

My neighbor used to mis-hear "my bad" as "my bag".
tɑ tɑ tɑ tɑ θiθɾ eɾloθ tɑ moew θerts olɑrk siθe
of of of of death abyss of moew kingdom sand witch-PLURAL
The witches of the desert of the kingdom of Moew of the Abyss of Death

tɑ toɾose koɾot tsɑx
of apple-PLURAL magic cold
cold magic of apples
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

I’m not sure if it was an actual mishearing, but I can’t explain why my late husband would say “Yes, you are” whenever I said “My bad” unless he was parsing it as “I’m bad.”
Darren

Post by Darren »

Linguoboy wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:25 pm I’m not sure if it was an actual mishearing, but I can’t explain why my late husband would say “Yes, you are” whenever I said “My bad” unless he was parsing it as “I’m bad.”
Maybe he heard it as a question "am I bad?" which would make sense phonologically and explain why his response sounds like an answer to a yes/no question.
Talskubilos

Post by Talskubilos »

Linguoboy wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:02 pmWait, so now we're talking about /sa.ˈlaː.mʕa.ˈlaj.kum/ as it would be pronounced by an Andalucian and not just heard by them?
Not exactly. The question is about the interpretation of an expresion in a foreign language unknown to the speaker. For example, when I was a teenager, I used to intreprete the first verse of the song Sunshine Reggae Give me, give me as Spanish Que me queme. :lol:
Last edited by Talskubilos on Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Talskubilos

Post by Talskubilos »

Moose-tache wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:33 pm He doesn't know how many of us gays there are on this site, because he has half of us on mute.
Travis B. wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:31 amThis is probably the most gay place on the Interwebs which is not dedicated to things gay in and of itself I've been at, something our friend here has managed to completely miss.
To continue this off-topic conversation, I recently saw an episode of RuPaul where a profoundly unpleasant performer made a good point: gays tend to gravitate toward hobbies you can learn by yourself, because they often don't have or are afraid to participate in, group activities as children. That certainly describes conlanging circa 1990.
No wonder I'm not a faggot nor a conlanger. :)
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Talskubilos wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:28 amNo wonder I'm not a faggot nor a conlanger. :)
That's not your word to throw around however you like. Consider this an official warning.
Talskubilos

Post by Talskubilos »

Linguoboy wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:08 pm
Talskubilos wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:28 amNo wonder I'm not a faggot nor a conlanger. :)
That's not your word to throw around however you like. Consider this an official warning.
OK. Sorry if I offended you.
Last edited by Talskubilos on Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Talskubilos wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:05 pm
Linguoboy wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:08 pm
OK. Sorry if I offended you. ;)
Just because members of a group can throw around words that refer to members of said group does not mean non-members of said group can do the same.

And please, lay off the emojis for once.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Talskubilos

Post by Talskubilos »

Travis B. wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:10 pmJust because members of a group can throw around words that refer to members of said group does not mean non-members of said group can do the same. And please, lay off the emojis for once.
Understood.
StrangerCoug

Post by StrangerCoug »

I don't have the clearest voice, so when my parents would ask me what I wanted to get or where I wanted to go to get it and it didn't matter to me, they'd get it from what it sounded the closest to them to what I said (for example, if I said "wherever", it'd end up being Wal-Mart).
Znex

Post by Znex »

Moose-tache wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:33 pm To continue this off-topic conversation, I recently saw an episode of RuPaul where a profoundly unpleasant performer made a good point: gays tend to gravitate toward hobbies you can learn by yourself, because they often don't have or are afraid to participate in, group activities as children. That certainly describes conlanging circa 1990.
Oof, that's too real for me.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I personally am quite straight, but I likewise have often been strongly attracted to solitary activities, which likely has similarly influenced my interests.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
alice

Post by alice »

Travis B. wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:53 am I personally am quite straight, but I likewise have often been strongly attracted to solitary activities, which likely has similarly influenced my interests.
This describes me too.
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

alice wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 12:23 pm
Travis B. wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:53 am I personally am quite straight, but I likewise have often been strongly attracted to solitary activities, which likely has similarly influenced my interests.
This describes me too.
They never said only gays do this. The same probably applies to a range of marginalised groups (including neurodivergents).

To wrestle this thread back on topic, however, I had a convo last week with a friend where we talked about misheard lyrics and it reminded me of one of my all-time best fails. For years, I thought this line from "Love's Great Adventure" by Ultravox:

"They rang around my head / like empty tuneless harmonies."

was:

"They rang around my head / like empty Jewish harmonies."

I think perhaps that was influenced by recently having learned about the Gershwins but at this remove (the song was released in 1984) I couldn't say.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Long ago, I used to think that the title line of the Neil Diamond song "Let Me Take You In My Arms Again" was something like "Let me [two syllables I couldn't parse] to my aunt again". I only discovered the real title today, with the help of Google.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

When I was 14 and on a student exchange in Ireland, I noticed that a lot of the Irish teens I met were fans of a band that they called something that sounded like "Waces" to me. I kept thinking "What is a 'wace', and why would a band name itself after the plural of that word?", until I finally realized that they meant Oasis.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Raphael wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:23 pmWhen I was 14 and on a student exchange in Ireland, I noticed that a lot of the Irish teens I met were fans of a band that they called something that sounded like "Waces" to me. I kept thinking "What is a 'wace', and why would a band name itself after the plural of that word?", until I finally realized that they meant Oasis.
My friend Rusty could never get the name of the band Butthole Surfers correct; he always called them "the Butthole Sniffers". His husband was like, "Wow, you came up with something even more offensive than what they were going for!"
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

Raphael wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:23 pm When I was 14 and on a student exchange in Ireland...
It's a miracle you understood anything at all.
"Hey Raff, let's balm out in dinetine Karch. We'll see that new fillum about Waces."
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I think I understood about half of what was going on around me - both what people were saying in real life and what people were saying in the US movies we watched. (I had started learning English at 10.) Oddly enough, I understood some people almost better than those with more "common" accents. For instance, I had no problem understanding those who pronounced "th" as if it was a simple "t".