Random Thread

Topics that can go away
rotting bones

Re: Random Thread

Post by rotting bones »

keenir wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:57 pm Theres a difference?
Obviously: https://archive.org/details/cu31924000610117
keenir wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:57 pm Why not? You get extra points for giving to monks, in regeneration terms.
Monks weren't supposed to carry expensive items. Kind of defeats the point.
keenir wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:57 pm Hm? Did you find/have a recipe for spices on brocoli or yams?
Fish, dude.
keenir wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:57 pm Not sure it has to be an either-or. :D
Since I already mentioned a reasonable interpretation of this in a part you dropped from the quote, what could be stronger? That all Protestant virtue is inherently racism?
keenir wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:57 pm Then could you please explain what you mean by "high culture" so we don't think you're referring to the cooks that everyone wants?
keenir wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:57 pm If that was true, wouldn't they lionize the famished and monoculturally agricultural Irish?
I could explain these to anyone else, but long experience has taught me that you fundamentally don't understand authoritarian power dynamics. For the sake of my own sanity, I'm not going to argue with you on these points until you finish this reading list:

1. The Dictator's Handbook
2. The Authoritarians
3. Capital Vol. I (You might need study guides like: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... ZgK6YLCXd0)

I will allow you to substitute any of the above with any of the following: Classical Econophysics, The Logic of Political Survival, Madness and Civilization

This stuff is hard to read, but truth comes from these kinds of books, not spiritual disciplines. Honestly, I'm not convinced reading will improve your understanding since in my experience, you see everything as loose associations of ideas. You might bring back a list of true statements from these books and say they're all wrong. But I will argue with you on these points if you read any 3 of the above.

Really sorry about this. I need to think about my mental health.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

It's possible Keenir's flippant responses were an attempt to prod you to give more information, rather than a sign of not having read books. Giving someone you disagree with on the internet a reading list is very 2007.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
keenir

Post by keenir »

Moose-tache wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:36 pm It's possible Keenir's flippant responses were an attempt to prod you to give more information,
*nods* It usually is. though I don't aim for flippancy...to be fair, I can't always tell when i'm being flippant. (sarcasm, i can at least guess at)
rather than a sign of not having read books. Giving someone you disagree with on the internet a reading list is very 2007.
I've watched the Dictators Guide on CGP Grey, if it helps - were they the same? https://youtu.be/rStL7niR7gs (i thought there was a dictator one; sorry)
rotting bones wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:07 pm
keenir wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:57 pm Theres a difference?
Obviously: https://archive.org/details/cu31924000610117
Hey, I remember this from Max Miller's youtube channel.

But what does that have to do with what you see as the difference between spices and flavors?
keenir wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:57 pm Why not? You get extra points for giving to monks, in regeneration terms.
Monks weren't supposed to carry expensive items. Kind of defeats the point.
No, they weren't supposed to own expensive items.

On the other hand, there's an old saying from one of the Buddhist denominations: Two monks were walking across the land and one day came to a river's edge.
There, they met a woman who was in need of help to cross the river. One monk wasn't sure they should help because she's a woman; the second monk said sure, and carried her across. Once the three of them were on the other side of the river, the second monk put her down and the woman thanked them and walked off on whatever journey she herself was on. The two monks continued onwards, though the first monk kept worrying that his traveling buddy had doomed himself by
carrying a girl -- after a while, he couldn't hold it in any longer, and told the second monk of his concerns.
The second monk looked at him and said "Yes, I carried her across the river, but then I forgot about her as soon as I set her on the ground. Have you been carrying her {in your mind} all this time?" To which, the first monk realized to his horror that the guy was right.

keenir wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:57 pm Not sure it has to be an either-or. :D
Since I already mentioned a reasonable interpretation of this in a part you dropped from the quote, what could be stronger? That all Protestant virtue is inherently racism?
I never said all Protestest virtue is racist. I'm saying that the Victorians would be shocked that you think they can be only one thing.

keenir wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:57 pm Then could you please explain what you mean by "high culture" so we don't think you're referring to the cooks that everyone wants?
keenir wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:57 pm If that was true, wouldn't they lionize the famished and monoculturally agricultural Irish?
I could explain these to anyone else, but long experience has taught me that you fundamentally don't understand authoritarian power dynamics
I asked you to define "high culture" because of your reaction when the replies involved multiple nations seeking to hire French cooks. Not sure how you're reading power dynamics in a desire to have French chefs in London and St Petersburg.

This stuff is hard to read, but truth comes from these kinds of books, not spiritual disciplines.
So in other words, you object to obedience to a physical teacher imparting wisdom to a student...but if its in book form, you love it?

I'm confused again.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Linguoboy wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:53 am
At what point did spices become generally available to the middle class? There seems to be a general tendency in modern societies which works like this.
Probably the best explanation!
rotting bones wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:39 pm Ares Land: Did you have to cut back on spices on lean days?
I think it depends on the time period considered; it seems that when the Ménagier was written, there was no restriction on spices on lean day. It certainly doesn't look like lean days were much of a penance either. Some of those fish recipes sound delicious;
rotting bones wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:39 pmWhile I agree that peasants weren't starving, spices were a luxury item in medieval Europe. Are those popular recipes or dishes from the high table?
The Ménagier was supposedly written by a Parisian bourgeois.
Ahzoh

Post by Ahzoh »

I dunno if there's a more appropriate thread but I know a clan leader for a game I play and he's just completely batshit. Believes in all sorts of conspiracies like Q Anon, Satanic Cults controlling the governments of the World, Masonic-Satanic Connections, Nazis being a front for Satanists, etc.

Well after telling me that Nasa is just Satan without the T (all while saying "I hAvE nO oPiNiOn On tHe MaTtEr"), he decides to post this nugget:
More: show
I don't know what drugs he must have taken to be this braindead. The lack of connection could not be more apparent.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

I hold it to be patently obvious that the people in charge worship The Dark One, and I challenge anyone to come up with a better explanation for the status quo.

But yeah, I'm sorry your video game friend is probably a racist. That's rough.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Moose-tache wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:31 am I hold it to be patently obvious that the people in charge worship The Dark One, and I challenge anyone to come up with a better explanation for the status quo.
They still haven't managed to get Cthulhu as a candidate in any US presidential races - and get enough people to vote for him - or convince enough people to cast write-in votes for him. But maybe that would be too obvious for them. I do suspect that Cthulhu would likely win were he the Republican candidate for US president.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

Where we go one, we go ftaghn.
rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

Ahzoh wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:21 am I don't know what drugs he must have taken to be this braindead. The lack of connection could not be more apparent.
Is this the circles and triangles thing I keep hearing about?
Ares Land wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:15 am Probably the best explanation!
Yes, but if it's a Protestant austerity thing (exaggerated into Enlightenment values in France), those people started out by regarding Catholics as elitists.
rotting bones wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:39 pm I think it depends on the time period considered; it seems that when the Ménagier was written, there was no restriction on spices on lean day.
What's an authoritative source on this?
Ares Land wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:15 am The Ménagier was supposedly written by a Parisian bourgeois.
I had a little free time today, and I found this page on spices used by German peasants: https://erenow.net/common/beyond-bratwu ... many/7.php Where did they get their pepper?
rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

keenir wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:36 pm *nods* It usually is. though I don't aim for flippancy...to be fair, I can't always tell when i'm being flippant. (sarcasm, i can at least guess at)
It's not about flippancy. My sense of when someone is changing the topic of conversation is kind of unreliable. Even if you said, "How's the weather?" I'd probably take it as a commentary on spice usage in medieval Europe.
keenir wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:36 pm I've watched the Dictators Guide on CGP Grey, if it helps - were they the same? https://youtu.be/rStL7niR7gs (i thought there was a dictator one; sorry)
The book goes through how the same logic applies in many different scenarios.
keenir wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:36 pm But what does that have to do with what you see as the difference between spices and flavors?
A lot of the flavors come from butter, thickening agents, and so on.
keenir wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:36 pm On the other hand, there's an old saying from one of the Buddhist denominations: Two monks were walking across the land and one day came to a river's edge.
There, they met a woman who was in need of help to cross the river. One monk wasn't sure they should help because she's a woman; the second monk said sure, and carried her across. Once the three of them were on the other side of the river, the second monk put her down and the woman thanked them and walked off on whatever journey she herself was on. The two monks continued onwards, though the first monk kept worrying that his traveling buddy had doomed himself by
carrying a girl -- after a while, he couldn't hold it in any longer, and told the second monk of his concerns.
The second monk looked at him and said "Yes, I carried her across the river, but then I forgot about her as soon as I set her on the ground. Have you been carrying her {in your mind} all this time?" To which, the first monk realized to his horror that the guy was right.
This is a Mahayana story about how excessive monastic discipline harms compassion.

I don't understand your other replies, sorry.
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

Richard W

Post by Richard W »

Travis B. wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:22 pm
Moose-tache wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:31 am I hold it to be patently obvious that the people in charge worship The Dark One, and I challenge anyone to come up with a better explanation for the status quo.
They still haven't managed to get Cthulhu as a candidate in any US presidential races - and get enough people to vote for him - or convince enough people to cast write-in votes for him. But maybe that would be too obvious for them. I do suspect that Cthulhu would likely win were he the Republican candidate for US president.
What hurdle does he fail? There were explicit campaigns for him at the last two elections.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

rotting bones wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:39 pm
I think it depends on the time period considered; it seems that when the Ménagier was written, there was no restriction on spices on lean day.
What's an authoritative source on this?
Oh, that's the impression I got from the Ménagier itself. Recipes for lean days still use spices, unless I'm mistaken.
Last edited by Ares Land on Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

hwhatting wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:29 am As we talked about old artifacts here: Uzbek family seems to have used 2000-year-old kettle for their cooking.
Doesn't sound like it was in continuous possession for 2000 years though.
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

rotting bones wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:25 am Doesn't sound like it was in continuous possession for 2000 years though.
That would have been awesome.
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Random question related to German law:
More: show
When I was coming back from Germany on a train to the Netherlands about three weeks ago, police came through the train and selected me for an ID check. I was with a group of nine people, though, and I was the only one to be singled out for the control. I wrote to the Federal Anti-Discrimination Agency to ask for advice, and they mentioned that the "best" course, if I'm interested in pursuing a complaint, is something called a Fortsetzungsfeststellungsklage, translated by them as "continuation declaratory action". I've been looking to figure out what this is, but all the stuff is in German (and I'm far from competent in German)... what exactly is this?
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Both of my wrists have recently occasionally felt as if they're covered with tight-fitting fabric when they aren't. I wonder what that means, and whether it might indicate something bad. I plan to ask my neurologist about it at our next appointment, but that's in February.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Unrelated, a question for doctor shark: does your current avatar mean anything in particular? It sure looks neat.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Raphael wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:27 pm Unrelated, a question for doctor shark: does your current avatar mean anything in particular? It sure looks neat.
Looks like one of his liquid crystal experiments to me, seen under a microscope (cf. viewtopic.php?p=62932#p62932).
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)