Happy things thread!

Topics that can go away
WeepingElf

Re: Happy things thread!

Post by WeepingElf »

Ares Land wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:47 am
WeepingElf wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:56 am Just finished writing the raw version of my book, Rock the Future: Progressive Rock gestern - heute - morgen. Now it comes to proofreading and refining the text, then I'll try to find a publisher.

That sounds very interesting! Congratulations, and good luck in finding a publisher!
Thank you!
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

alice wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:32 am
bradrn wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:47 am
alice wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:36 am

Hahaha! It's *very* idiosyncratic to my personal needs, so I wouldn't recommend it.
Even so, I’d at least like to see what it can do!
FWIW, you can define hierarchies of languages, each with its own set of syntactic categories (parts of speech), lexical roots, and sound changes, generate reflexes in daughter languages, and flag discrepancies when you change your sound changes. And you can search, and tag words with related semantic meanings.

The backend isn't very complicated, aside from the GraphQL implementation, which is a pain in any language. Much of the hassle was in doing the UI, which took several iterations and at least two attempts to write my own GUI library (no, seriously). Even now there's doubtless plenty of room for improvement, BUT AT LEAST IT DOES ITS JOB AND I CAN GET BACK TO PROPER CONLANGING.
That is really impressive, to say the very least. Congrats on getting it this far!
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

WeepingElf wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:56 am Just finished writing the raw version of my book, Rock the Future: Progressive Rock gestern - heute - morgen. Now it comes to proofreading and refining the text, then I'll try to find a publisher.
Good luck!
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Travis B. wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:16 am
Good luck!
Thank you!
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

alice wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:03 am Not so happy is that the word for "dwarf" comes out the same as the word for "mountain" in Dekuvren, which is funny on at least two levels but annoying nonetheless.
Could you not just replace the mountain word by 'dwarf-place' or something like that?
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

MacAnDàil wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:00 am
alice wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:03 am Not so happy is that the word for "dwarf" comes out the same as the word for "mountain" in Dekuvren, which is funny on at least two levels but annoying nonetheless.
Could you not just replace the mountain word by 'dwarf-place' or something like that?
I'd go with 'dwarf-home' myself.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

MacAnDàil wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:00 am
When sound changes do that to closely related words, I usually replace one word. But people can actually tolerate quite a lot of ambiguity. In English alone we have Turkey and turkey, Polish and polish, not to mention the absurdly divergent meanings that arise from toponyms— eating a Danish, frenching, Bohemian tastes, your best china, Romance languages vs. romances.
alice

Post by alice »

zompist wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:47 pmWhen sound changes do that to closely related words, I usually replace one word. But people can actually tolerate quite a lot of ambiguity. In English alone we have Turkey and turkey, Polish and polish, not to mention the absurdly divergent meanings that arise from toponyms— eating a Danish, frenching, Bohemian tastes, your best china, Romance languages vs. romances.
Ha! My sound changes made homophones out of ansuz "name of a god" and arsaz "arse"!
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

The found the capsule! Looks like at least one thing in the world has worked out as it should.
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

My residence permit (and contract) in the Netherlands got extended to April 2024: just picked up the new card a week ago. More time to consume large quantities of stroopwafels and look for the next position.
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

Gefeliciteerd!
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Congrats!
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

zeptoforth seems to be really taking off as of late. Previously it was a personal project that people occasionally tried out but for which interest was not self-sustaining. Now I am getting more interest in it than ever before. At the Forth 2020 Zoom meeting yesterday someone did a presentation on zeptoforth, which has spurred even more interest. The GitHub discussion and issues pages (yes, the issues page is often used like a second discussion page) for zeptoforth have gotten busier than ever. I have also gotten my first unsolicited contribution to zeptoforth a few days ago. Yesterday I even had a user track me down in IRC despite no IRC channels being advertised on the zeptoforth GitHub; as a result I have created a new zeptoforth support IRC channel on hackint and advertised it on the zeptoforth GitHub.

In particular, multiple people have been asking about both WiFi and USB support, and WiFi support on boards that use ESP WiFi radios is in the works. USB and the Pico W's WiFi radio support will have to wait, though - I do not have enough hours in the day to work on all three at once, and anyways I am targeting the ESP WiFi chip first as it is the low-hanging fruit.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Congrats! That's really cool.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

zeptoforth on the Seeed Wio RP2040 is connecting to google.com over WiFi and getting a real response, which it handles correctly! (Yes, there are some hitches, such as that half the time my WiFi router rejects my connection attempts with a nondescript error code, but still!)
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Minor happy: I finally acquired the last set of Euro coins to complete my mega-set of coins from every Eurozone country. (Notably, it was Monaco, which was actually a harder set to pin down than even the Vatican!)

Childhood dream accomplished.
aka vampireshark
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

doctor shark wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:26 pm Minor happy: I finally acquired the last set of Euro coins to complete my mega-set of coins from every Eurozone country. (Notably, it was Monaco, which was actually a harder set to pin down than even the Vatican!)

I actually started doing that and got myself an album with slots for all the Euro coins back when the Euro was introduced, but I only filled it with coins I came across in the change, so I still have major gaps after 20 years :-)
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

hwhatting wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:07 am
doctor shark wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:26 pm Minor happy: I finally acquired the last set of Euro coins to complete my mega-set of coins from every Eurozone country. (Notably, it was Monaco, which was actually a harder set to pin down than even the Vatican!)

I actually started doing that and got myself an album with slots for all the Euro coins back when the Euro was introduced, but I only filled it with coins I came across in the change, so I still have major gaps after 20 years :-)
We actually did the same! However, I was perhaps a bit more active in hunting down the ones I couldn't find. :P
aka vampireshark
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Reminds me of when the big thing was the 50 State quarters over on this side of the pond. My grandmother would watch for states we didn't yet have.
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Man in Space wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:17 pm Reminds me of when the big thing was the 50 State quarters over on this side of the pond. My grandmother would watch for states we didn't yet have.
My family still did that as well, though it became easier once we moved back to the US in 2002. Lost interest for the National Park Quarters (this was around the time I started leaving the US for longer periods again), but managed to get a good amount of them without really trying. :P There were also the Presidential Dollar coins and Native American Heritage Dollar coins, but given that you had to go to banks to get them (mostly) since you almost never get them in change and, after a certain point, they stopped minting them for circulation, I managed to not get so many of them. That said, it's always fun (to me) to go to the bank and get 50¢ and $1 coins and $2 bills to pay with: the bank's happy to give them out, though most vendors look at you funny when you use them. (Especially the $2 bills.)

(At least there are still the €2 commemoratives on this side of the pond I keep an eye out for, along with some assorted things that are on the "nice to have" list.)
aka vampireshark