Happy things thread!

Topics that can go away
Raphael

Re: Happy things thread!

Post by Raphael »

Another one of Musk's rockets has exploded!

Torco wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:02 am
are car repairs very expensive where you live?
Depends on 1) what needs to be repaired and 2) what you mean by "expensive". All in all, I live in one of the wealthier parts of the world, and the people here, including car mechanics, are used to being paid substantial sums for their time. Oh, and both me and those of my family members with whom I have contact are in situations where, if you take our monthly income and subtract monthly bills, groceries, and so on, there's basically nothing left - what the USAnians call "living paycheck to paycheck". (Do they still use paychecks? Or have they caught up with the developed parts of the world and started doing direct money transfers by now?) So, yeah, any need for repairs would have been very tricky.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Raphael wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:31 am (Do they still use paychecks? Or have they caught up with the developed parts of the world and started doing direct money transfers by now?)
Most employers these days here use what's known as "direct deposit", where money flows directly into your bank account on payday. We still informally refer to "paychecks" though.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Travis B. wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:41 am Most employers these days here use what's known as "direct deposit", where money flows directly into your bank account on payday. We still informally refer to "paychecks" though.
Thank you, interesting.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Man in Space wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:31 pm BY SOME MIRACLE I GOT A WOMAN’S NUMBER TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh, that's great! Congrats!
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Man in Space wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:31 pm BY SOME MIRACLE I GOT A WOMAN’S NUMBER TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congrats!
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

good luck. i suggest keeping in mind that the number is only a method of communication to meet up in real life.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

This is a day or so late, but I have put out release 0.64.0 of zeptoforth. This now has support for per-task console I/O and error output redirection, with baked-in support for redirecting to and from null, the serial console, and streams (like Unix pipes), and also adds support for software alarms (it already had support for hardware timer alarms on the RP2040, but those operate at interrupt time while these operate normally). I have also already implemented for support for per-task console I/O and error output redirection to and from FAT32 files on SD cards, but this is not in a release yet.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

And we're already at zeptoforth 0.64.2 - three non-bug-fix releases in three days! Now the user can do console I/O and error output redirection with null (think /dev/null), the default serial console, streams (think pipes), FAT32 files, U(S)ART's other than the default serial console, and, when supported, swdcom.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Travis B. wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:40 pm And we're already at zeptoforth 0.64.2 - three non-bug-fix releases in three days! Now the user can do console I/O and error output redirection with null (think /dev/null), the default serial console, streams (think pipes), FAT32 files, U(S)ART's other than the default serial console, and, when supported, swdcom.
I enjoy seeing your programming wins.

For mine own part, I’m about to fly back home after a wonderful few days in my old college town for the Norman Music Festival. I also got to meet up with some old friends and had a wonderful time.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Man in Space wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:57 pm I enjoy seeing your programming wins.
Thanks! I have actually been procrastinating implementing USB CDC console support for the RP2040 by finding alternative work, which is what has led me to implement console redirection along with software alarms.
Man in Space wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:57 pm For mine own part, I’m about to fly back home after a wonderful few days in my old college town for the Norman Music Festival. I also got to meet up with some old friends and had a wonderful time.
That sounds really nice.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

I have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, type I. I post this here because if it bleeds, we can kill it.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Man in Space wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:07 pm I have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, type I. I post this here because if it bleeds, we can kill it.
Good luck! And I agree with your choice of thread: relatives who work in related fields have always told me that the first step towards fixing these problems is understanding what’s going on.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
alice

Post by alice »

What bradm said; knowing your enemy is half the battle, as I can personally testify.
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

alice wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:47 am bradm
…and the keming monster strikes again!
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

And add good luck from me to that!
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Well that was cute. Our outreach librarian decided to do something where he set out postcards for students to send to their mothers for Mother's Day and have them mailed on the Library's dime. At least one of them, however, was unaware that the destination country has to be written in a language that monolingual USAmerican post office employees can, you know, actually read and others wrote the addresses littleendian rather than bigendian so the English name of the country was buried near the top rather than at the bottom where a postal employee would expect it. So I spent a few minutes going through them and adding destinations, in the process learning that New Taipei City is official 新北市 in Chinese.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Man in Space wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:07 pm I have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, type I. I post this here because if it bleeds, we can kill it.
Good to hear. Now that you really know what's going on, you can do something about it.
alice

Post by alice »

bradrn wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:21 am
alice wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:47 am bradm
…and the keming monster strikes again!
... must use fixed width font on ZBB ...
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

That's good news -- I hope you'll get the appropriate treatment as fast as possible.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

My chat with the Dean went well. Now to see if there's any follow-through.