Venting thread

Topics that can go away
malloc

Re: Venting thread

Post by malloc »

Raphael wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:31 am Ahzoh: Good Luck!

malloc wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:19 pm
Raphael wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:19 amOver the course of the last few hours, I found out a few things about current German laws that I would never have expected, and that have left me both devastated and angry.
Like what?
See my most recent post in the German politics thread, and additionally another post I plan to write in the thread about my own blog posts.
Oh right, I just realized you posted there. That does sound pretty bad, although quite honestly (not to start an Eddythread) it has always seemed to me like Germany has plenty of laws that many would consider intrusive and oppressive. For starters it has military conscription, which hasn't been a thing in the US for decades. Then there's the law that prohibits you from making any noise after 10:00PM even at home and another law banning dancing on Good Friday. Furthermore the laws regarding nationality make it much harder for immigrants or even children of immigrants born in Germany to become citizens. Finally the education system shunts many students into different types of schools with intentionally distinct quality, leading many to receive worse education and job opportunities. Let me stress again that I am not trying to start an argument, just expressing my surprise that regulations on blogging would shock someone more than conscription or deliberately shoddy education.
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
Koomát terratomít juneeratu!
Anti-TESCREAL Action | He/him
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

malloc wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:43 pm

malloc wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:19 pm

Like what?
See my most recent post in the German politics thread, and additionally another post I plan to write in the thread about my own blog posts.
Oh right, I just realized you posted there. That does sound pretty bad, although quite honestly (not to start an Eddythread) it has always seemed to me like Germany has plenty of laws that many would consider intrusive and oppressive. For starters it has military conscription, which hasn't been a thing in the US for decades. Then there's the law that prohibits you from making any noise after 10:00PM even at home and another law banning dancing on Good Friday. Furthermore the laws regarding nationality make it much harder for immigrants or even children of immigrants born in Germany to become citizens. Finally the education system shunts many students into different types of schools with intentionally distinct quality, leading many to receive worse education and job opportunities. Let me stress again that I am not trying to start an argument, just expressing my surprise that regulations on blogging would shock someone more than conscription or deliberately shoddy education.
I looked it up, and Germany hasn’t had conscription for more than 10 years — which is much more recent than I expected, but still, it doesn’t have it currently.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Someone set up a Facebook account impersonating me.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Man in Space wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:16 pm Someone set up a Facebook account impersonating me.
Shit. Sorry. Good luck trying to work that out.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Raphael wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:56 am
Man in Space wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:16 pm Someone set up a Facebook account impersonating me.
Shit. Sorry. Good luck trying to work that out.
It has been reported. I was tipped off to it by a friend and to my dismay I noted it had already acquired a few of my friends.

I have suspicions on the actor behind it though no conclusive proof.
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

bradrn wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:58 pm
malloc wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:43 pm

I looked it up, and Germany hasn’t had conscription for more than 10 years — which is much more recent than I expected, but still, it doesn’t have it currently.
Also, a recent immigration law has made immigration easier in Germany. And something for the venting thread: I would like it if making noise after 10PM was banned in practice here. The right of one to make loud noises is the lack of right of their neighbours to concentrate get to sleep.
malloc

Post by malloc »

MacAnDàil wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:34 amAnd something for the venting thread: I would like it if making noise after 10PM was banned in practice here. The right of one to make loud noises is the lack of right of their neighbours to concentrate get to sleep.
Yeah, personally I would agree. There have been numerous times over the years when I could hardly sleep because people outside my apartment were making a huge ruckus. That said, I suspect that most Americans would react with horror at such a law, much like they regard gun control and universal healthcare as incipient tyranny.
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
Koomát terratomít juneeratu!
Anti-TESCREAL Action | He/him
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

I would not so react; noise ordinances are a thing around here, even in the township. When we still played in my basement I never had us make loud noise after 9:00 PM out of respect to the neighbors and they’ve never given us a hard time about it.
Ryusenshi

Post by Ryusenshi »

Man, the codebase I'm working on is so ugly. I could spend months just to clean up this ugliness. Of course, I won't, because I have deadlines to meet.

My colleague tends to call everything a "memory leak": problems with uninitialized memory, or misaligned memory, or out-of-bounds access...
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Ryusenshi wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:24 pmMy colleague tends to call everything a "memory leak": problems with uninitialized memory, or misaligned memory, or out-of-bounds access...
I cannot go into details because NDAs, but I can say that I've worked with an institution where something akin to this was, for a few months, departmental policy, and it caused us no end of troubles.

EDIT: To be clear, this is from my days as a contractor.
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

malloc wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:46 am
MacAnDàil wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:34 amAnd something for the venting thread: I would like it if making noise after 10PM was banned in practice here. The right of one to make loud noises is the lack of right of their neighbours to concentrate get to sleep.
Yeah, personally I would agree. There have been numerous times over the years when I could hardly sleep because people outside my apartment were making a huge ruckus. That said, I suspect that most Americans would react with horror at such a law, much like they regard gun control and universal healthcare as incipient tyranny.
And I would find America a bit scary with the many guns and the little social healthcare.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Of course, the Republicans have no problem with tyranny if its their kind of tyranny, such as the firing of a teacher near here in Waukesha over (gasp!) having a first-grade class sing a Dolly Parton/Miley Cyrus song involving (oh my God) RAINBOWS!
Last edited by Travis B. on Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Travis B. wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:38 pmOf course, the Republicans have no problem with tyrrany if its their kind of tyrrany, such as the firing of a teacher near here in Waukesha over (gasp!) having a first-grade class sing a Dolly Parton/Miley Cyrus song involving (oh my God) RAINBOWS!
Everybody is OK with tyranny as long as it’s their kind of tyranny.

My sister’s dog destroyed a $150 pair of my headphones this morning.
xxx

Post by xxx »

is this reason enough for euthanasia, a family quarrel or a good laugh...
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

xxx wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:26 pm is this reason enough for euthanasia, a family quarrel or a good laugh...
Euthanasia?! What are you talking about?! Baby is a little shit sometimes but I still love her to death…and I wouldn't put my sister through that over a pair of headphones.
xxx

Post by xxx »

a good laugh then...
(oh you've left space for that good old armchair...)
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

I am at a show as I type this. A bizarre movie is playing in the background on the wall screens. Googling “TV Tropes” plus some data from the captions indicates that it is Jennifer’s Body. This film has an idiot plot, made all the worse because it appears people went through great pains to make it in a competent fashion.

EDIT: Why did they use a Florence + the Machine song in it?

DOUBLE EDIT: And someone at this show, I have discovered, is a dead ringer for the female lead not played by Megan Fox. What universe am I in?
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Don't you just love it when an institution sends you a letter with a line telling you what their office hours are, and it turns out that information is not actually accurate? As in, you call during those hours, and the recording tells you you're calling out of hours?
masako

Post by masako »

My office has a candidate pool of ~5500 folks, but when fewer than 5 of them have difficulty with some administrative procedure or process my leadership goes into fits about how to properly inform the entire group of the steps they should follow...

Proportional response is not something they seem to understand. It's maddening.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

I got some sort of very painful infection. At least the meds were able to be picked up.