English questions

Natural languages and linguistics
zompist
Site Admin

Re: English questions

Post by zompist »

Travis B. wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 3:54 pm Does anyone else use tag or (which I invariably pronounce as /ər/ [ʁ̩ˤ]) at the end of sentences in English? (I myself use it very frequently without even thinking.) I know that tag oder is very normal in spoken German, and it seems to be pretty similar in meaning. I never see it in written English, even English that is meant to be informal or to reflect everyday speech.
I've seen this on Twitter, with both "or" and "so", and even included it in my syntax book (2018).

It's quite standard to say e.g. "Are we leaving now, or what?" It feels to me like the meaning is the same; the "what" has just been elided.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

zompist wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 5:17 pm
Travis B. wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 3:54 pm Does anyone else use tag or (which I invariably pronounce as /ər/ [ʁ̩ˤ]) at the end of sentences in English? (I myself use it very frequently without even thinking.) I know that tag oder is very normal in spoken German, and it seems to be pretty similar in meaning. I never see it in written English, even English that is meant to be informal or to reflect everyday speech.
I've seen this on Twitter, with both "or" and "so", and even included it my syntax book (2018).

It's quite standard to say e.g. "Are we leaving now, or what?" It feels to me like the meaning is the same; the "what" has just been elided.
Yeah, I use tag so quite a bit as well myself.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

zompist wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 5:17 pm It's quite standard to say e.g. "Are we leaving now, or what?" It feels to me like the meaning is the same; the "what" has just been elided.
OK, this feels much more familiar to me. A related construction which I use quite a lot is ‘or something’, to indicate (I think) uncertainty.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Interestingly, I use tag or what far less frequently than tag or. It feels like something that someone would write as dialogue rather than what I am personally familiar with IRL.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
linguistcat

Post by linguistcat »

I use it sometimes, usually trailing off. I tend to use "So," at the beginning of a sentence a lot more, but there's a good amount of overlap of them both being used. Example:

"So, was someone going to eat this, or...?"
A cat and a linguist.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

linguistcat wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:43 pm I use it sometimes, usually trailing off. I tend to use "So," at the beginning of a sentence a lot more, but there's a good amount of overlap of them both being used. Example:

"So, was someone going to eat this, or...?"
Ah, good example! This feels much more natural to me.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Over in the British Politics Guide thread in Ephemera, sangi39 just posted
sangi39 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 5:28 amb) Richmond has returned Conservative MPs for over a century with absolute majorities all but twice (relative majorities in 1989 and 1997, with 5% and %20 leads respectively),
Until today, I had thought the terms "absolute majority" and "relative majority" would only be used in German ("absolute Mehrheit" and "relative Mehrheir"), and English used "majority" and "plurality" instead. Could someone clear this up for me?
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Raphael wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 5:34 am Over in the British Politics Guide thread in Ephemera, sangi39 just posted
sangi39 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 5:28 amb) Richmond has returned Conservative MPs for over a century with absolute majorities all but twice (relative majorities in 1989 and 1997, with 5% and %20 leads respectively),
Until today, I had thought the terms "absolute majority" and "relative majority" would only be used in German ("absolute Mehrheit" and "relative Mehrheir"), and English used "majority" and "plurality" instead. Could someone clear this up for me?
I think it might be a UK vs. US (or North American vs. Elsewhere?) thing? "Plurality" seems to be used in the US where "relative majority" (or even just "majority") is used in the UK, and "majority" seems to be used in the US where "absolute majority" is used in the UK

Could definitely be wrong, though. That's just how I've seen the terms used (it's always thrown me that in the UK we say "majority" when we don't mean "more than half" unless we're specifying that we do indeed actually mean "more than half")
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Ah, thank you.