The "How Do You Pronounce X" Thread

Natural languages and linguistics
Travis B.

Re: The "How Do You Pronounce X" Thread

Post by Travis B. »

Linguoboy wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:37 am
Zaarin wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:35 pmLike Linguoboy said, depends on the word. Maryland, England, Newfoundland have something like [ɫə͂ʔd̚]; Queensland, highland have something intermediary like [ɫɛ̃ʔd̚]; Swaziland and Zululand have [ɫænd̚].
I think my distribution may be like Nortaneous': default /lənd/ (which will often be realised [ɫən ~ ɫɪn]) but Maryland is always [ɫɪn] because I'm subconsciously imitating my father's pronunciation (as with Baltimore and other local place names). Queensland and highland (and Zealand) group with established European names for me whereas I reserve /lænd/ for newer polities (Puntland), corporate names (like theme parks and retailers, e.g. Disneyland, Timberland), and metaphorical uses (e.g. limboland, Jesusland, woo-woo-land).
I have a similar distribution, except that I might have /lənd/ instead in Puntland (both sound okay for it).
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

There's a moving wall here for sure; at some point in the past (ten years ago? 20?), Queensland would have still had /æ/.
Space60

Post by Space60 »

Space60 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:49 am Does anyone have an /l/ sound in "both" or "only" (before the /n/)? I don't have such myself but I've heard it. I think my brother has "olnly" for "only".
Common enough that someone a generation up from me once told me she was made fun of for *not* having l-insertion in "both". You can check Twitter for misspellings - "bolth" got a lot of results when I tried it.

The person in question did have long-distance assimilation of /əw/ to [o] in "social" -- where [o] is the expected realization of /əw/ immediately preceding /l/ -- and I'm not sure about "only". Another good test case would be "provolone".
[/quote]

That is interesting. I had a chorus teacher in High School who pronounced "both" as "bolth" (he was from California) and the kids in the class would frequently mock his pronunciation.
Space60

Post by Space60 »

Zaarin wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:35 pm
Travis B. wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:52 pm I have heard of folk with /l/ myself, in the context of folk music (IIRC one of folk as in folk music and one of folk in other contexts often has /l/, but I cannot recall at the moment which is which).
I have /l/ in folk music but not in other instances of folk. This is lexical for me: I don't have intrusive /l/ in other circumstances (unless you count words like almond and falcon which I have literally never heard without /l/).
Zju wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:08 pm How do you pronounce -land when it's a suffix, or the second part of a placename? [lənd]? [lænd]? Something else?
Like Linguoboy said, depends on the word. Maryland, England, Newfoundland have something like [ɫə͂ʔd̚]; Queensland, highland have something intermediary like [ɫɛ̃ʔd̚]; Swaziland and Zululand have [ɫænd̚].
Pronunciation of -land

/l@nd/ or /l1nd/

"Iceland"

"Greenland"

"Maryland"

"England"

"Scotland"

"Island"

/l{nd/

Disneyland (name of a theme park)

Partyland (name of a local party supplies store)
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

/ə/: Queensland, highland, Zealand, Puntland, Timberland
/æ/: Swaziland, Zululand, Disneyland, Jesusland, Partyland

My guess is that -land is unstressed unless it follows a syllable with secondary stress, except it's stressed in semantically transparent compounds.
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
Imralu

Post by Imralu »

I'm from Queensland and I say it with æ, weirdly enough.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = (non-)specific, A/ₐ = agent, E/ₑ = entity (person or thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS | ILIAQU
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Imralu wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:54 amI'm from Queensland and I say it with æ, weirdly enough.
What else do you have in common with the Kransky Sisters?
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Another thing I wonder as to how common it really is in English is assimilation of /t d/ + plosive clusters into geminates which take the POA and affrication, if any, of the second consonant (which are preglottalized and preceded by short vowels if the first consonant is /t/, and non-preglottalized and preceded by long vowel if the first consonant is /d/). For instance, vodka is [ˈvaːkːə(ː)], hatpin is [ˈhɛʔpːɘ̃(ː)n], and Atkins is [ˈɛʔkːɘ̃ːnts]. Also, for me at least, it seems that the geminates as a whole are voiceless, even if the individual consonants were both lenis (this is true for all obstruent clusters for me). I have not seen this discussed much in the context of discussion of English dialect features, but it seems so normal to me, like it is not particular to the English around here, that it might just be one of those things that are not discussed because they are a given.

I also have more extensive assimilation of /d/ + sonorant clusters into geminates beyond assimilation with plosives; e.g. Adler is [ˈɛːʟ̞ːʁ̩(ː)], radio is [ˈʁʷeːjːo(ː)], and couldn't is [ˈkʰʊːnː(ʔ)]. These I get the impression are more dialectal or even idiolectal than the above, but I do wonder if anyone else also knows of anyone else having these.

There are also some other isolated assimilations into geminates that I am familiar with, e.g suggest is [sɘtˈtʃɜs]~[sɘtˈtʃɜsʲtʲ] and problem is [pʰʁ̥ɑːmː].
Last edited by Travis B. on Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zaarin

Post by Zaarin »

I don't have such assimilation beyond normal coda coronal debuccalization.

vodka [ˈvɑʔd̚kə]
hatpin [ˈhæʔpʰɪn]
Atkins [ˈæʔkʰɪnz]
Adler [ˈæʔd̚ɫɹ̩ˁ]
radio [ˈɹ̠ˁʷɛɪ̯ɾjəʊ̯~ˈɹ̠ˁʷɛɪ̯ˌdiəʊ̯]
couldn't [ˈkʰʊʔd̚n̩ʔ]

You'll note that _d$ and _t$ remain slightly distinct for me.
But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me?
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Zaarin wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:59 pm I don't have such assimilation beyond normal coda coronal debuccalization.

vodka [ˈvɑʔd̚kə]
hatpin [ˈhæʔpʰɪn]
Atkins [ˈæʔkʰɪnz]
Adler [ˈæʔd̚ɫɹ̩ˁ]
radio [ˈɹ̠ˁʷɛɪ̯ɾjəʊ̯~ˈɹ̠ˁʷɛɪ̯ˌdiəʊ̯]
couldn't [ˈkʰʊʔd̚n̩ʔ]

You'll note that _d$ and _t$ remain slightly distinct for me.
You preglottalize coda /d/ in addition to the normal preglottalization (or overt glottalization) of coda /t/?

As for /t d/ staying distinct, part of the reason they only remain distinct in terms of (pre)glottalization and preceding vowel length here finally (unless both preceded and followed by sonorants across word boundaries) and before obstruents is that plosives are only really distinguished voice-wise in the dialect here when they are between sonorants (and even then /dʒ/ is practically always voiceless no matter what position it is in).
Zaarin

Post by Zaarin »

Travis B. wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:32 amYou preglottalize coda /d/ in addition to the normal preglottalization (or overt glottalization) of coda /t/?
Acoustically they sound quite similar, but I definitely have coronal contact in coda /d/ whereas I do not in coda /t/. [ʔd̚] is my best transcription of that.
But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me?
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

Travis B. wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:44 pm Another thing I wonder as to how common it really is in English is assimilation of /t d/ + plosive clusters into geminates which take the POA and affrication, if any, of the second consonant (which are preglottalized and preceded by short vowels if the first consonant is /t/, and non-preglottalized and preceded by long vowel if the first consonant is /d/). For instance, vodka is [ˈvaːkːə(ː)], hatpin is [ˈhɛʔpːɘ̃(ː)n], and Atkins is [ˈɛːʔkːɘ̃ːnts]. Also, for me at least, it seems that the geminates as a whole are voiceless, even if the individual consonants were both lenis (this is true for all obstruent clusters for me). I have not seen this discussed much in the context of discussion of English dialect features, but it seems so normal to me, like it is not particular to the English around here, that it might just be one of those things that are not discussed because they are a given.

I also have more extensive assimilation of /d/ + sonorant clusters into geminates beyond assimilation with plosives; e.g. Adler is [ˈɛːʟ̞ːʁ̩(ː)], radio is [ˈʁʷeːjːo(ː)], and couldn't is [ˈkʰʊːnː(ʔ)]. These I get the impression are more dialectal or even idiolectal than the above, but I do wonder if anyone else also knows of anyone else having these.

There are also some other isolated assimilations into geminates that I am familiar with, e.g suggest is [sɘtˈtʃɜs]~[sɘtˈtʃɜsʲtʲ] and problem is [pʰʁ̥ɑːmː].
I don't have any of that, except maybe in rapid speech. I don't think I'd have voicing assimilation -- maybe [-gk-] in 'vodka', but certainly not [-kk-]. I'd expect /t/ to debuccalize before plosives, but that'd give [-ʔp- -ʔk-], not [-ʔp:- -ʔk:-]. 'Adler' and 'radio' wouldn't take assimilation.

Something that might be dialectal -- I've only noticed it in people from the NYC area -- is assimilation of /lj/ to [ʎ(:)].
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

Is that what Trump has? I just hear it as "biyyions and biyyions".
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Nortaneous wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:48 am I don't have any of that, except maybe in rapid speech. I don't think I'd have voicing assimilation -- maybe [-gk-] in 'vodka', but certainly not [-kk-]. I'd expect /t/ to debuccalize before plosives, but that'd give [-ʔp- -ʔk-], not [-ʔp:- -ʔk:-]. 'Adler' and 'radio' wouldn't take assimilation.

Something that might be dialectal -- I've only noticed it in people from the NYC area -- is assimilation of /lj/ to [ʎ(:)].
Note that I would synchronically analyze vodka in my dialect to be /ˈvaɡkə/ not /ˈvakkə/ due to the preceding long vowel and lack of preglottalization; the voicing assimilation is really because voicing is suppressed in obstruent clusters altogether.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Pabappa wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:36 am Is that what Trump has? I just hear it as "biyyions and biyyions".
Also note that he has /hj/ > [j], as in the word "yuge".
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

Now I'm jealous of Trump because I could never pronounce true palatals besides /j/
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

mèþru wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:09 am Now I'm jealous of Trump because I could never pronounce true palatals besides /j/
You can probably pronounce [ç] as in [çj]uge though, unlike The Donald.
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

It's not really [ç] as much as a palatalised and somewhat fronted glottal
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

mèþru wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:22 amIt's not really [ç] as much as a palatalised and somewhat fronted glottal
Eh, the difference is really minor. When I teach German, I start them off with this and get them to [ç] relatively easily.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Linguoboy wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:59 am
mèþru wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:22 amIt's not really [ç] as much as a palatalised and somewhat fronted glottal
Eh, the difference is really minor. When I teach German, I start them off with this and get them to [ç] relatively easily.
I natively have [ç], but only in the cluster [çj], so the trick with learning German pronunciation was losing the [j] so I could pronounce [ç] in isolation.