Are airquotes used in countries that don't use " ?

Natural languages and linguistics
jcb

Are airquotes used in countries that don't use " ?

Post by jcb »

In America, people sometimes use airquotes to visually mark where one would write quotation marks ". Like this:

However, as wikipedia enumerates ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotation_mark ) not all languages use " as their quotation mark. For people in such countries, what is used instead ? Have airquotes been adopted despite the different written quotation mark ? Something else ? Nothing at all ?
Raphael

Re: Are airquotes used in countries that don't use " ?

Post by Raphael »

I don't think that airquotes are even used in all countries that do use quotation marks. Not sure if I've ever seen them in Germany.
Emily

Post by Emily »

Raphael wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:07 am I don't think that airquotes are even used in all countries that do use quotation marks. Not sure if I've ever seen them in Germany.
that didn't stop us from doing them with one hand at shoulder height and the other near the waist in high school german class
alice

Post by alice »

Emily wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:09 am
Raphael wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:07 am I don't think that airquotes are even used in all countries that do use quotation marks. Not sure if I've ever seen them in Germany.
that didn't stop us from doing them with one hand at shoulder height and the other near the waist in high school german class
DId you call them "Luftgansefüsschen"?
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

I don't think we use airquotes much in France either.
We use this style: « », but these "" are familiar too.
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Some people in Germany do use airquotes; I sometimes use them myself. There is no convenient term like English airquote, though. (The word suggested by alice, Luftgänsefüßchen, is nothing I have ever heard.)
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
xxx

Post by xxx »

Ares Land wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:10 am I don't think we use airquotes much in France either.
We use this style: « », but these "" are familiar too.
but the soft power is such that I don't see anymore airquote à la française but only the one imported from the US media (and with the grimace that goes with it)...