Language Practice (Help your fluency)

Natural languages and linguistics
Linguoboy

Re: Language Practice (Help your fluency)

Post by Linguoboy »

Nerulent wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:22 pmI whakamātau au ki te whakamāori āu rerenga Māori tipatipa, engari kāore au e mōhio i ētahi kupu kei kitamu.
I tried translating your phony Māori, but I couldn't find meanings of some of the words like kitamu.
He ʻōlelo pāʻani ʻo kitamu. He hoʻohawaiʻi ʻana o ka ʻōlelo haole "item" ʻo ʻikamu. ʻAʻohe huaʻōlelo pili ma ka ʻōlelo Māoli.
Kitamu is a joke. ʻIkamu is a Hawaiʻianisation of the English word "item". There is no Māori cognate.
Nerulent

Post by Nerulent »

Linguoboy wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:00 am He ʻōlelo pāʻani ʻo kitamu. He hoʻohawaiʻi ʻana o ka ʻōlelo haole "item" ʻo ʻikamu. ʻAʻohe huaʻōlelo pili ma ka ʻōlelo Māoli.
Kitamu is a joke. ʻIkamu is a Hawaiʻianisation of the English word "item". There is no Māori cognate.
I te mōhio au, ka tūmanako ki te kite i te māoritanga o ngā kupu nō ka whakamāoritia tipatipatia āu rerenga.
I got the joke, I was just hoping to find a Māori meaning for those words so I could give a fake translation of your fake Māori :P
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Pono ʻo au ke hoʻomaka hou iʻole au e poina i nā mea a pau i aʻo ʻē mai ai.
I need to get started again in order not to forget everything I've learned already.
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

我住在台湾, 但是练习中文的机会太少了,现在我有一点空, 想看《聊斋故事》。
Wǒ zhù zài Táiwān, dànshì liànxí zhōngwén de jīhuì tài shǎo le, xiànzài wǒ yǒu yìdiǎn kòng, xiǎng kàn "Liáozhāi Gùshì."

ഞാൻ തൈവാനിൽ താമസിക്കുന്നു പക്ഷെ ചൈനീസ് ഭാഷ അഭ്യസിക്കാനുള്ള അവസരങ്ങൾ വളരെ കുറവാണ്. ഇപ്പോഴെനിക്കിച്ചിരെ സമയമുള്ളതുകൊണ്ട് "ചൈനയിലെ കലാശാലയെപ്പറ്റിയുള്ള അപൂർവ്വക്കഥകൾ" വായിക്കണം.
[ɲaːn t̪əjˈʋaːnil ˈt̪aːməsikʲʊn̪n̪u pəʈˈʃe t͡ʃəjˈniːs ˈbʱaːʃe jəbʱjəsiˈkʲaːnʊɭɭa əʋəˈsəɾəŋəɭ ʋəˈɭəɾe kɔrəˈʋaːɳɯ]. [jɪˈpəɻɛnɪkɪt͡ʃɪɾe səmejəmɔɭɭəˈd̪oːɳɖɯ t͡ʃəjˈnejile kəlaːˈɕaːlejɛpətijɔɭɭa əˈbuːrʋəkət̪ʰəgəɭ ˈʋaːjkʲɛɳəm].

I live in Taiwan, but I don't get a lot of opportunities to practice my Chinese. Now that I have some free time, I want to read Strange Stories From a Chinese Studio.
Arzena

Post by Arzena »

ana miš mabsūṭ innī lāzim adawwar 3ala šoǧl gadīd fi fitret el-waba2 el-kabīr da 3ašān nehāyet el-3aqd betā3ī fi-š-šahr illī gāy
I'm not happy that I have to search for work during this pandemic because of the end of my contract next month.
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

Veteran of the 1st ZBB 2006-2018
CA TX NYC
dɮ the phoneme
Location: On either side of the tongue, below the alveolar ridge

Post by dɮ the phoneme »

私は大学で特別な言語練習食堂がある。あそこでは、テーブルが各々特定の言語があって、その言語の会話を練習しにそれぞれのテーブルに行ける。本当にすごいリソース(?)で、ほとんど毎日行った。でもこのコロナ事態が始まってからいけないので、言語の勉強が難しくなちゃった。

My university has a special dinning hall for language practice. Each table has a designated language, and you can go there to practice conversing in said language. It's honestly an amazing resource*, and I went almost daily. But now with this COVID-19 situation I can't go, which has made studying languages a lot harder.

*I have no idea how to translate this usage of "resource" into Japanese, does anyone know?
Ye knowe eek that, in forme of speche is chaunge
With-inne a thousand yeer, and wordes tho
That hadden pris, now wonder nyce and straunge
Us thinketh hem; and yet they spake hem so,
And spedde as wel in love as men now do.

(formerly Max1461)
Qwynegold

Post by Qwynegold »

大学特別な言語練習食堂がある。あそこでは、テーブルが各々特定の言語があって、その言語の会話を練習しにそれぞれのテーブルに行ける。本当にすごいリソース(?)で、ほとんど毎日行った。でもこのコロナ事態が始まってからいけないので、言語の勉強が難しくなちゃった。
You need to use ni instead of de when the verb is aru or iru. I'm not sure about asoko de wa, I would've just used asoko wa.

Unfortunately I don't know either if there's a better alternative than risoosu. Picking the right word for the context is the hardest part of Japanese.

Instead of saying hotondo mainichi itta you could say mainichi no yō ni itta. It means "I went like everyday", but not quite literally every day.

練習できなくて残念だね。どこにいる?
Renshū dekinakute zannen da ne. Doko ni iru?
That's unfortunate. Where is this?
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Fe dreulies i'r bore'n golygu erthygl Wicipedia ar awdur Cymraeg nad oeddwn i'n ei adnabod e cyn hyn. Ond oedd sôn amdano fe yn erthygl ar awdur Gwyddeleg a gollais i arna fi fy hun.
I spent the morning editing a Wikipedia article about a Welsh-language author I'd never heard of before. But there was a mention of him in an article on an Irish-language author and I got carried away.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Taibhríodh dom gurbh éigean dom triail Ghaelainne a dhéanamh. Dob mhuar clóscríobhán de shaghas éigin a úsáid is na cnaipí á ngreamú orm. Dob í an chéad cheist ná Gaelainn a chur ar "some sheep" ach theip orm na litreacha cearta a chlóscríobh. Nuair a dhúisíos as mo chodladh, rith sé liom go raibh an freagra mícheart agam ar aon nós.
I dreamed I had to take a test in Irish. I had to use some kind of typewriter and the keys kept sticking on me. The first question was to translate "some sheep" but I couldn't type the letters correctly. When I woke up, I realised I'd gotten the answer wrong anyway.
finlay

Post by finlay »

Vijay wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:24 am 我住在台湾, 但是练习中文的机会太少了,现在我有一点空, 想看《聊斋故事》。
Wǒ zhù zài Táiwān, dànshì liànxí zhōngwén de jīhuì tài shǎo le, xiànzài wǒ yǒu yìdiǎn kòng, xiǎng kàn "Liáozhāi Gùshì."

ഞാൻ തൈവാനിൽ താമസിക്കുന്നു പക്ഷെ ചൈനീസ് ഭാഷ അഭ്യസിക്കാനുള്ള അവസരങ്ങൾ വളരെ കുറവാണ്. ഇപ്പോഴെനിക്കിച്ചിരെ സമയമുള്ളതുകൊണ്ട് "ചൈനയിലെ കലാശാലയെപ്പറ്റിയുള്ള അപൂർവ്വക്കഥകൾ" വായിക്കണം.
[ɲaːn t̪əjˈʋaːnil ˈt̪aːməsikʲʊn̪n̪u pəʈˈʃe t͡ʃəjˈniːs ˈbʱaːʃe jəbʱjəsiˈkʲaːnʊɭɭa əʋəˈsəɾəŋəɭ ʋəˈɭəɾe kɔrəˈʋaːɳɯ]. [jɪˈpəɻɛnɪkɪt͡ʃɪɾe səmejəmɔɭɭəˈd̪oːɳɖɯ t͡ʃəjˈnejile kəlaːˈɕaːlejɛpətijɔɭɭa əˈbuːrʋəkət̪ʰəgəɭ ˈʋaːjkʲɛɳəm].

I live in Taiwan, but I don't get a lot of opportunities to practice my Chinese. Now that I have some free time, I want to read Strange Stories From a Chinese Studio.
台湾にいたら、旧字体の方がいいんじゃない?
if you're in taiwan, shouldn't you be using traditional chinese?

お久しぶりねー。みんな元気?俺さ、新型コロナウイルス🦠の為、3月に帰国してしまった。ちょっとトラウマみたいなんだけど、だいたい大丈夫だと思うね。日本の政府の反応は全く足りなかったし、くそ仕事には予防があんまり無さそうだったし、出たかった。イギリスの方はね、確かにそんなにいいのではないのに、なんかね…家族と一緒にいたら安全な感じだ。でもとにかく、コロナの前にも帰りたかった。父親が死んでから俺はちょっと鬱になったし、仕事はつまらないし。問題はパートナーです。彼はどうやってここに来るか、と考えている。解けると思うけど、時間かかるわ
Anyway long time no see all, hope you're keeping well. so i just fucken moved back home in march due to covid. a bit traumatised but all good. a variety of reasons: the japanese govt's lacklustre response, my fucking job's relative lack of protection (we sat less than a metre from our students) or promise of such. anyway i wanted out. it's not much better here, arguably it's worse, but like, if i'm with my family i feel more secure. and anyway i was wanting to leave japan anyway - been feeling depressed since my dad died last year and i was bored of my job. the main problem is my partner - how can we get him over here. sure we can figure it out but it's not gonna happen quickly
Last edited by finlay on Mon May 04, 2020 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
jal

Post by jal »

Herzlich Wilkommen zurück, Finlay! (Ich habe leider kein Zeit etwas dazu zu sagen.)
Welcome back Finlay! (I unfortunately lack the time to say something more.)

JAL
finlay

Post by finlay »

Bedankt~
Thank~
dɮ the phoneme

Post by dɮ the phoneme »

この夏、サンスクリット語を勉強し始めている。ずっとサンスクリット語を学びたかったけど先生が見つけられなくて、サンスクリット語のような難しい言語を自分で勉強することが難題だと思っていた。でも今、日本語を三年間ぐらい勉強して言語の勉強し方についてよく分かるようになったと思う。しかも、大学を卒業したばかりで、すごい暇になっている。それで今始めていいだろう。

I've started learning Sanskrit this summer. I've wanted to study Sanskrit for a long time, but I could never find a teacher and I figured it would be difficult to study a language like Sanskrit on my own. But now, having studied Japanese for three years, I feel like I have a better understanding of how to study a language. Plus, I've just graduated university, and so I have a bunch of free time. So now seems like a good time to start.

रमो वनं गच्छती।

rama goes to the forest

(formerly Max1461)
Nerulent

Post by Nerulent »

Max1461 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:53 pm この夏、サンスクリット語を勉強し始めている。
I've started learning Sanskrit this summer.
Ki a au, he tino whēuaua te reo Hanahikiriti! Kei te ako au i te reo Pāniora - he ngāwari atu te reo nei mō ngā tāngata e kōrero te reo Ingarihi.
It seems to me that Sanskrit is a very difficult language. I'm learning Spanish, which is a lot easier for English speakers.
Qwynegold

Post by Qwynegold »

Nerulent wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:37 pmHanahikiriti
元からすごい変化!
Moto kara sugoi henka!
That's an impressive transformation of the original word!
Nerulent

Post by Nerulent »

Qwynegold wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:14 pm That's an impressive transformation of the original word!
Haha, kei te ngākaurua au ki te tika o te kupu. Nō te whakatakotoranga kūoro pākaha o te reo Māori, nō te kōpaka o ngā orokati hihī, he ngahau ētahi kupu mino - ina koa te kupu hāhi.
Haha, I’m not actually sure if that word is correct. Due to Māori's strict syllable structure and the lack of sibilants or affricates, some loanwords are very interesting - like the word hāhi 'church'.
dɮ the phoneme

Post by dɮ the phoneme »

マオリ語では借用語が多い?人の大半が英語を話しているニュウジーランドでそんなはずだけど、マオリ語の社会言語学的な場合が全然分からないんだ。

Are there a lot of loanwords in Maori? Given that New Zealand is an English majority country I would expect so, but I don't know anything about Maori's sociolinguistic situation.

(formerly Max1461)
Nerulent

Post by Nerulent »

Āe, hei tā tēnei pukapuka, he nui atu te tau o te kupu mino i te toru manu.
Yes, according to this book there are more than 3000 loanwords.
Qwynegold

Post by Qwynegold »

Nerulent wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:29 pmhāhi 'church'.
すばらしい! :lol:
Subarashii! :lol:
Splendid! :lol:
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Táim ag déanamh iarrachta as úire ar beagán Ghaelainn na hAlban dh'fhoghlaim le Duolingo agus tá an t-iomad na gcarad bréige ann.
I'm making a fresh effort to learn a little Scottish Gaelic through Duolingo and there's a lot of false friends.

Agus theana, táthar ag cur iallaigh orm mo chuid ghramadach Gaelainne dh'athbhreithniú. Cad'na thaobh ná fanann sí liom níos teinne?
Furthermore, I'm being forced to review my Gaelic grammar. Why doesn't it stick more firmly in my memory?

Ba mhian liom rud éigin d'fhoghlaim aon uair amháin agus go deo deo liom é.
I'd like to be able to learn something once and retain it forever.